Where can I get a job at 15 1/2?
Jun 19, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #48 of 55
I have done the knocking on door thing and got a few little jobs, but as much as I would like. Chick-fil-A's, hmm.. never really thought of that either, it's worth a shot to get an application.. I've fixed some computers over the years of my friends but there comes a point where I really don't want to charge my best friends for something they see me loving to do..

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #49 of 55
Offering to do yardwork is pretty much a guaranteed job, especially over the summer. Car washing also does the trick. Just make sure to act responsible, and it doesn't hurt to do more work then necessary to get a job done. The extra 15 minutes could lead you to another referral.

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #50 of 55
I'd figure out a way to get into the restaurant biz now. I started as a lowly morning brunch busboy when I was about 14, and worked my way up to waiter. I know that some restaurants will hire dishwashers that are under 16. During college, working as a waiter was fantastic... go to work at 3, come back at 10 or 11, such a nice schedule. I really miss those summers now!

And of course, making $200 a night and not having to pay rent or student loans was great. I loved depositing $800 in cash at the bank.

Jun 21, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #52 of 55
When I was your age, my parents told me "no more allowance, you're going to get a job" and took me around gathering applications. I ended up with a job at Burger King- the stereotypical burger flipper.

I believe I started at $4.00 per hour, which was good since minimum wage was $3.35. A little after that, I got a friend hired on, and that made it better. It wasn't the greatest job, but it was alright.

What was a good job, however, was when I quit Burger King and went to work at the local movie theater. It was considerably better- better pay, better work, and I got free movies! Not only that, but we were allowed to let in friends for non-sold out movies except Friday and Saturday nights. And our immediate families got in free, too. Mom and Dad showed up regularly, but my sister was too embarassed to be publicly seen with her geeky brother. She was a cheerleader, and I was in the marching band and on the school paper- among the lower castes at our school. Anyhow, I got a couple friends hired on, too, and I had a great time there my last two years of high school. It paid for my car and I have a lot of good memories. I like my current job fine (it pays a little better) but for fun, the theater beats it handily. So if you have a theater nearby, see if they're hiring.

Jun 21, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaftedTwice
At every restaurant that I have tried, they would only hire a 16 year old for bus boy, maybe I gotta look around more..

You'll probably have to start in the kitchen as a dishwasher... I'd do that first.

Jun 21, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #54 of 55
Ooh, I never thought of a movie theater, that would be pretty nice and I always see really young people working there..

I guess I would have to a be a dishwasher, in that case, I wouldn't really be able to go through application, but actually talk to the manager, since my bro is a bus boy at Chili's maybe I can be the dishwasher
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back