Where can I get a job at 15 1/2?
Jun 18, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
Where do you live? If you have a Six Flags theme park in your area they hire at 15. (Six Flags, Magic Mountain, any of the WB parks)

Grocery stores hire bag boys at 15 in some states.

That would be soo awesome to work at Six Flags, but its about an hour or so away
frown.gif

I've tried Target and Albertsons, maybe Wal-Mart or Sam's Club or something then..

Jun 18, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaftedTwice
That would be soo awesome to work at Six Flags, but its about an hour or so away
frown.gif

I've tried Target and Albertsons, maybe Wal-Mart or Sam's Club or something then..

Well I know that Sam's doesn't hire 15 year olds for sure. I think 18+ because of safety issues being a wherehouse and all. Try walmart. They hire anyone.

Jun 18, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
Well I know that Sam's doesn't hire 15 year olds for sure. I think 18+ because of safety issues being a wherehouse and all. Try walmart. They hire anyone.

Good thing you told me, I was gonna go first thing tomarrow and I had that same gut feeling.. But I would think that Wal-Mart would be very official and by-the-book, hiring only 16+, hopefully I am wrong.

Jun 18, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #21 of 55
When I was 15, I worked at a tech firm reparing computers at local corporations (I lived in Fairfield County - a lot of big-money businesses nearby). I made $25 an hour, and it was considered a 'paid internship' so I got a nice little letter of recommendation to college while I was at it.

If you have 'special skills' like that, certainly embrace them!

Jun 18, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #22 of 55
Me... I did the paper route thing from age 12-15 (at which time I had enough scratch saved up from doing 4-5 highrise apartment buildings, to be able to walk into my favourite high end audio shop, and drop $800 cash on a new system. Ya shoulda seen the salesman's face
tongue.gif
!). I'd suggest you see if you can do papers for the summer, if you can't land another job because of your age.

If you can, try to get more than 1 route; and if memory serves me well; you can pick up extra routes for short periods of time during the summer months; 'cause regular carriers tend to go away for 1-2 weeks for a family vacation. If you and your family don't have similar plans this summer (or your folks don't mind you staying home alone for the time they are gone), you can make a few hundred bucks, if you take advantage of this.

Sadly, you are at an in-between age (I know, because I went through it too). You wanna work in a job that pays more; but law prohibts you from making the bigger bucks. If you can tough it out, and do papers for another summer; next year, more ops will open to you. I know it sucks. My 15 year-old daughter is in the same boat right now. Best she can do right now, is a paper-route, or baby-sitting.

Like I say, though; don't discount a paper route. I was able (at the age of 14, and doing multiple routes from age 12), to save enough to buy my first high quality sound system. Something to think about, when the "better paying" jobs don't pan out right now. I had lots of friends in high school, who made more money than I did during the summer; but my paper routes kept me going (and cash in my pocket) year-round, for almost 4 years. Their jobs didn't; and their money was usually gone by the end of September/early October.

It all worked out OK, though; since it was THEY, that were now coming to me for smokes and stuff, since they had no-cash. LOL!
biggrin.gif
I remember this one guy, who had a sweet-ride (1980 4.9L V8 Turbo Trans-Am, in white), and a killer car-audio set-up. I used to take his car, when he owed me too-much for smokes, or booze
tongue.gif

Never underestimate the power of a paper route
very_evil_smiley.gif
(or 3, or 4, or 5)

Jun 18, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
WHen you are stilll counting half years in youur age, you are still too young.

Thing is that at 15 you can't get a work permit, but you can at 15 1/2, that's why I said it
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
When I was 15, I worked at a tech firm reparing computers at local corporations (I lived in Fairfield County - a lot of big-money businesses nearby). I made $25 an hour, and it was considered a 'paid internship' so I got a nice little letter of recommendation to college while I was at it.

If you have 'special skills' like that, certainly embrace them!

I've been able to repair computers since I was 8 and I still work on them every day, I bet that I could seriously show some of the people at corporations up, I could easily do a job for repairing computers and for $25/hr, Id take it up in a heartbeat, but what computer place wants to hire a 15 year old, they would think I would have no experience as they are all 30+. It'd be hard for them to take me seriously. But maybe you can help get me started, that would really be my #1 choice above all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by courierdriver
Me... I did the paper route thing from age 12-15 (at which time I had enough scratch saved up from doing 4-5 highrise apartment buildings, to be able to walk into my favourite high end audio shop, and drop $800 cash on a new system. Ya shoulda seen the salesman's face !). I'd suggest you see if you can do papers for the summer, if you can't land another job because of your age.

If you can, try to get more than 1 route; and if memory serves me well; you can pick up extra routes for short periods of time during the summer months; 'cause regular carriers tend to go away for 1-2 weeks for a family vacation. If you and your family don't have similar plans this summer (or your folks don't mind you staying home alone for the time they are gone), you can make a few hundred bucks, if you take advantage of this.

Sadly, you are at an in-between age (I know, because I went through it too). You wanna work in a job that pays more; but law prohibts you from making the bigger bucks. If you can tough it out, and do papers for another summer; next year, more ops will open to you. I know it sucks. My 15 year-old daughter is in the same boat right now. Best she can do right now, is a paper-route, or baby-sitting.

Like I say, though; don't discount a paper route. I was able (at the age of 14, and doing multiple routes from age 12), to save enough to buy my first high quality sound system. Something to think about, when the "better paying" jobs don't pan out right now. I had lots of friends in high school, who made more money than I did during the summer; but my paper routes kept me going (and cash in my pocket) year-round, for almost 4 years. Their jobs didn't; and their money was usually gone by the end of September/early October.

It all worked out OK, though; since it was THEY, that were now coming to me for smokes and stuff, since they had no-cash. LOL! I remember this one guy, who had a sweet-ride (1980 4.9L V8 Turbo Trans-Am, in white), and a killer car-audio set-up. I used to take his car, when he owed me too-much for smokes, or booze .

Never underestimate the power of a paper route (or 3, or 4, or 5)

Hmm... now that you mention it all, that really doesn't sound like a bad idea, doing a few routes and stuff, it is in the morning as well so I wouldn't have to worry about not getting able to do stuff that is in the middle of the day. Nice little story though, you have made me really consider doing it
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
Start an eBay store. You don't even have to be proficient with html to get started. All you have to do is go to the post office once a day and answer questions.

I really don't have much to sell, let alone a storefull sadly. I'm good at eBay, i just don't think that I have enough to start a store.

Jun 18, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #27 of 55
Well, go ahead and try, at least! Go to a mom n' pop computer repair store and tell them at you're 15 years old, but are very proficient with computers. Tell them that you've been repairing them since you were 8, and to prove it to them, go up to a computer which they are repairing now, and tell them what you would do to fix it (without actually physically touching the computer). Then tell them that they can pay you a lot less under the table than an 18+ employee that already works there. Give them a scale, like, if this guy makes 40 dollars an hour, you can pay me 20 an hour under the counter. Maybe use the "15 or 20 dollars less an hour" rate. Give them an insentive (sp?) to hire you over somebody else with A+ certification, a college degree, and etc.

If that goes wrong, simply start up your own business repairing machines. Tell prospective employees that you will charge way less per hour than it would cost them to pay CompUSA to go to their home. I believe CompUSA charges 120 dollars an hour to go to their house/business, so say that you'll charge 30 or 40 dollars an hour, and that you'd usually be done with your session in 1-3 hours (at least, that was the case for me when I did outside repairs).

Hope this helps any! A big mistake I made in the beginning: SAVE some of that money! I didn't when I first started out, and just went nuts buying stuff. I ended up going to college with a hefty amount of spending money just because I worked with such great pay and for so many hours, but you'll be REALLY happy that you saved most of that work money for when it really matters, instead of blowing it on worthless things in your high school career. Trust me - save the majority of your earnings for college, when beer isn't just a trip to the fridge, and pizza is not just a call to the restaurant and a trip to your mom's wallet.
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Well, go ahead and try, at least! Go to a mom n' pop computer repair store and tell them at you're 15 years old, but are very proficient with computers. Tell them that you've been repairing them since you were 8, and to prove it to them, go up to a computer which they are repairing now, and tell them what you would do to fix it (without actually physically touching the computer). Then tell them that they can pay you a lot less under the table than an 18+ employee that already works there. Give them a scale, like, if this guy makes 40 dollars an hour, you can pay me 20 an hour under the counter. Maybe use the "15 or 20 dollars less an hour" rate. Give them an insentive (sp?) to hire you over somebody else with A+ certification, a college degree, and etc.

If that goes wrong, simply start up your own business repairing machines. Tell prospective employees that you will charge way less per hour than it would cost them to pay CompUSA to go to their home. I believe CompUSA charges 120 dollars an hour to go to their house/business, so say that you'll charge 30 or 40 dollars an hour, and that you'd usually be done with your session in 1-3 hours (at least, that was the case for me when I did outside repairs).

Hope this helps any! A big mistake I made in the beginning: SAVE some of that money! I didn't when I first started out, and just went nuts buying stuff. I ended up going to college with a hefty amount of spending money just because I worked with such great pay and for so many hours, but you'll be REALLY happy that you saved most of that work money for when it really matters, instead of blowing it on worthless things in your high school career. Trust me - save the majority of your earnings for college, when beer isn't just a trip to the fridge, and pizza is not just a call to the restaurant and a trip to your mom's wallet.
biggrin.gif

Wow man, exactly what I needed to know! There is a mom n' pop computer repair store basically across the street, it would be perfect. I didn't know how to try and tell them that I could work hard and wouldn't need as much pay, but that idea of yours sounds really really good. If this works, I'm going to have to buy you a pair of headphones or something
biggrin.gif

About starting up a business of my own, I don't see any way to do it at 15, even if I was 21, I would think that it would be impossible to start a business from scratch, I mean, how would I even get my name out there and such?

Good advice about the spending money as well, I was thinking the same thing and that is particularly why I want to start at a young age. A lot of my friends made that mistake as well and it turned out pretty bad for them having to mooch off of their friends all the time and not being able to afford for a girl
biggrin.gif
I'll definately take this advice to mind.

Jun 18, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #29 of 55
Trust me, it's not difficult to start up your own little business of repairing computers. I'm sure your parents have a bunch of 40-something computer-impaired friends who would love to have their computers rid of spyware and cleaned out of all the garbage they've collected over the years. Start off there. Most likely, those people will know a bunch of other people who have the exact same problem as them, but simply don't know what spybot is. Then go ahead and do hard drive clean ups and defragment jobs so that it runs faster too, because I'm sure most of those people have never done that either.

It's not difficult to do.

Jun 18, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Trust me, it's not difficult to start up your own little business of repairing computers. I'm sure your parents have a bunch of 40-something computer-impaired friends who would love to have their computers rid of spyware and cleaned out of all the garbage they've collected over the years. Start off there. Most likely, those people will know a bunch of other people who have the exact same problem as them, but simply don't know what spybot is. Then go ahead and do hard drive clean ups and defragment jobs so that it runs faster too, because I'm sure most of those people have never done that either.

It's not difficult to do.

That's true, I've had 3 friends ask me to build them computers so far and Ive made maybe $400 profit off of it or so, good stuff.. But yeah, I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could get a lot of my parents' friends come to me, and I should do that more actually, its just hard to find people that are willing to pay a good $700+ to build a computer, but computer clean-up I could see.. Never really gave it too much thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back