Where are all of the builders?
Jan 27, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #91 of 113
  I've been depressed about this trend as well. Some of my favorite board designers/providers are getting out of the space, including Geek at Classic Valve and Shannon at DIYTube.com. As you've mentioned, Millett is doing most of his work with TTVJ, which makes sense, I'm sure he's much better reimbursed from that activity than providing boards and answering support questions for free. Hagerman Audio has also gone to turn-key products. I think what it really boils down to is offering DIY boards isn't terribly profitable, it's more of a community service. You can't really blame anyone for turning their priorities to something more monetarily rewarding, they may have family expenses or other financial obligations.

We still have some great kit and PCB options from Beezar, Dynakitparts, Tubes4HiFi/Bob Latino, Bottlehead, AMB, Kevin Gilmore, GlassJar Audio, and Decware (and more I'm sure I'm forgetting). I think Beezar and Bottlehead have discovered a good business model where some of the development cost is "baked in" to the kit cost. I don't think anyone would get rich from this type of thing, as DIYers tend to know the value of parts and would just migrate to other designs if the cost became prohibitive. 

I've moved my DIY activities to a blog where I have a bit more control of things, you may have stumbled on it.

This is a good spot for headphone amp DIY discussions:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/

I know exactly how you feel and think the same. It's frustrating to think of the current state of affairs while remembering so many designs and PCBs being developed for the community, not for sale.

I don't mean to say anything negative towards the amazing people that support this community like AMB, GlassJarAudio, Beezar, etc. It's awesome!

What about new designs though? I know the "other forum" has some things and there is development being done elsewhere, but I just want to bring it back HERE!

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #92 of 113
There is a group buy forming at the other place.  OP is asking for suggestions on which boards to have made.  The OP just finished another group buy, in which I participated, and did an excellent job.

Me

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #93 of 113

I know exactly how you feel and think the same. It's frustrating to think of the current state of affairs while remembering so many designs and PCBs being developed for the community, not for sale.

I don't mean to say anything negative towards the amazing people that support this community like AMB, GlassJarAudio, Beezar, etc. It's awesome!

What about new designs though? I know the "other forum" has some things and there is development being done elsewhere, but I just want to bring it back HERE!

Make Head-Fi Great Again?  :b

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #95 of 113
  I reference your blog frequently when researching.  Thank you for the service you provide to the DIY community!

Thanks Sodacose, glad you are able to use it! :) 

I checked in with Shannon of DIYTube, it's the time and liability issues that pulled him out of the PCB business. Certainly can't blame him. Even if I took over the fulfillment and processing, people would still be reaching out to him for help.  

Other providers I forgot to mention:

Allen Waters at ChipAmp, great boards and kits at a bargain price. My gussied up LM3886 sounded notably better than a Manley Stingray with a nice tube complement. Can't beat that type of value.

Also, Twisted Pear Audio, Transcendent Sound, OddwattAudioNoteKits, Elekit, TubeSoundAudio (not familiar with these guys but found on Google) and Audio Sector

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #98 of 113
I'm trying to downsize my rig and a LM3886 looks like a good way to do that. Could you give us some info on what you've done with yours?

I you search diyaudioblog and LM3886 you should find it. I used a pair of 300VA Anteks, soft start from DIYAudio, 100uF film caps and Sonicraft bypass caps along with Elna Silmics, Kiwame resistors, Wima bypasses, Mills power resistors. Everything else was mostly stock. Even a stock LM3886 build, which I've done as well, sounds really nice, just make sure you get Elna Silmics, they're a great bang-for-the-buck upgrade. I believe Mouser has them if you search for "RFS". Since there are so few parts, you can go hog wild and it doesn't break the bank :wink: Kimura at 47 Labs really did the world an amazing service by creating the Gain Card using the Texas Instruments LM series chip amplifiers, every DIYer with a pair of speakers has absolutely no excuse not to build one because they sound so good and are so affordable to make. It's the only legitimate "giant killer" I have experienced in audio in 15 years, aside from perhaps some of Selah Audio's speaker designs and a pair of 300B powered DIY charged plate electrostats that I still can't get over. 

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #99 of 113
HiGHFLYiN9, that build is freaking awesome! That's what I'm talking about right there. I was just telling my wife I wanted to have the top plate of my Crack and chassis for my Aikido powder coated in cream color. I think I may have to put one of these on the list. I've got a couple of Pass ACA kits just to dabble in Class A SS for fun, but the LM3886 I may need to look at more closely.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #101 of 113
Currently testing this bad boy:

Adjustable regulated tube power supply (left) and triode-strapped output, choke-loaded input amplifier (right). The adjustable power supply should allow for lots of output tube options.

This one was a long project (mostly designing the power supply).  I'm going to try to do a couple of quick and easy ones to share here on Head-Fi next. First up will be a starving student variation (simple weird heater tube and mosfet output).

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #102 of 113
Nice to see this thread pop up.  I haven't been here much, either.  It was a combination of a very large DIY project for a friend and life in general.  
I had no idea that GBs had gone away, I just figured all the designers had moved on or the builders finally found their favorite amp and quit.  I'm sure there is a reason, and I'd really like to know what it is.  I agree with many of you in that this DIY section was full of good support (save for a few!) and regularly turned over new designs.  I still have 8 projects that are staring at me!

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #103 of 113
  I have loads of CMOY pcbs so if anyone wants some for the price of postage??  just as a cheap way to give it a try

I should have a lot more boards that I need to quit as well I just need the time to sort them

cheers
FRED

Thanks buddy! That's a great offer and I hope people take you up on it!

Do you have a link with details?

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #104 of 113
I think we need something "new" that fits the 1455C801 Hammond case again. It's always been a fan favorite at a great price.

Lots of people like the USB input DAC and headphone combo but there are a few of those already (including some very decent ones). We could try to please that crowd but I think a new portable amp would be a nice option too. Well, personally, I'd like a cool desktop amp at a budget price. Opinions please?

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #105 of 113

Thanks buddy! That's a great offer and I hope people take you up on it!

Do you have a link with details?

Hi not really, I'll just charge postage, someone just asked and I can post 5 boards worldwide for $5.00US as a letter

There are also LM386 guitar amp boards same deal just postage

and 

Crossfeed pcbs same again

The instructions are on my website but I don't want to upset anyone by posting here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back