When is enough, enough?
Apr 8, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #196 of 271
Epigenetics has been a hot research field, perhaps a bit over-hyped imo.. Altered DNA conformations mediated by DNA methylation, and phosphorylation/acetylation of proteins in the nucleus, add further plasticity to the human genome. If anything, it gives more latitude for potential therapeutic targets to treat certain disorders linked to gene expression/mutations. Complexity doesn't always have to be viewed as defeating, as far as scientific opportunities are concerned. It can be daunting, I admit -- layers of complexity added onto previous layers.

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #197 of 271

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #199 of 271
  Epigenetics has been a hot research field, perhaps a bit over-hyped imo.. Altered DNA conformations mediated by DNA methylation, and phosphorylation/acetylation of proteins in the nucleus, add further plasticity to the human genome. If anything, it gives more latitude for potential therapeutic targets to treat certain disorders linked to gene expression/mutations. Complexity doesn't always have to be viewed as defeating, as far as scientific opportunities are concerned. It can be daunting, I admit -- layers of complexity added onto previous layers.

Perhaps, but we don't even know how to target anything yet, at least not that I have heard about. Even if we assume that epigenetic adaptation provides possible targets, that implies we know how to use the target which we don't. Anyway, I know genetics seemed like the answer to so many problems, and eventually I'm sure it will be, but right now unless I'm mistaken we are still trying to gain the most basic understanding of these layers of complexity, let alone how to manipulate them. Fascinating, and way over my head.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #200 of 271
I sold everything I had...custom IEM, ak120, amp, all I gone...I realised at one time it was ridiculous to walk around with 1500$ gear in the subway for 40min commuting...and went back to earbuds and streaming on the cell-phone...
And it's perfectly good.

Ok, I bought a car too...so was busy doing that...

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #201 of 271
I sold everything I had...custom IEM, ak120, amp, all I gone...I realised at one time it was ridiculous to walk around with 1500$ gear in the subway for 40min commuting...and went back to earbuds and streaming on the cell-phone...
And it's perfectly good.

Ok, I bought a car too...so was busy doing that...

funny how cheap everything becomes when you remove the context of Meso Fi audio from your life
biggrin.gif

If you want a real treat and a half. Theivesbay yourselves either Sony Ericsson HPM 62 (require some soldering to convert the proprietary cable to real world 1/8) or the HPM 64. Do a bit of tuning with foamie covers available at The source and if feeling adventurous a little surgical tape on the bass ports for the 62's.
For a buck 99 the result will have you forever questioning the entire concept of "Hi Fi" :wink:

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #202 of 271
I've wondered whether the uber-rich are addicted to "upgrading"/acquiring hi-priced objects like cars, jewellery, even homes, like some audiophiles "upgrade". Is the urge/itch to acquire audio gear ("newer must be better") unique or is there a common human urge/addiction to acquire stuff to satisfy our inner dopaminergic circuitry?  (Heck, there are speakers that cost more than my home....)

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #203 of 271
I'm an average cook but i do like equisite food very much! I could be trying - or train myself becoming a Masterchef, but in the end the Professional Masterchef is capable of better cooking because of better techniques. So i can better enjoy my average cooking and therefore enjoy visiting the Masterchef's restaurant even more... Same with our hobby, i've tried to have the best gear availlable on todays market, but i have to accept reaching the end game , budget will be always limited. So better accept having "average setup" and ENJOY NOT HAVING the best set availlable! TIP: do sometimes visit another Masterchef Headfier - or Headfi Restaurant (canjam :)) ! That's why i decreased my Headfi-collection...

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #204 of 271
Common sense and limited funds (along with the WAF) should be the ultimate restraints on continual upgrading, in any field, not just audio. And yet....

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #207 of 271
I had no idea people were totally into upgrading headphones. At least it was a slow process I thought. Back in 1998 I tried to order a set of nice high-end Grados but the guys in the stereo shop didn't seem to want to get me a negotiated end price so I walked out. I went home to the midfi headphones I owned and didn't think twice about upgrading till I saw a pair of k701s at a store, went online and found this place. My first reaction was "Wow, people are into headphones".

My attitude was always about the music, and if the equipment was good enough to enjoy the music, then everything was fine.

The slippery areas become clear, after you make a couple good purchases and start to notice improvements. The pleasure is getting a little education and luck and having it actually pay off. Small real success is the dangerous part at the start. From there it's enjoying this new level of sonic pleasure, which makes you guess where it could stop. You go to a meet and hear that extra 20% improvement, but it's hard to except what it costs, then this little voice starts talking and asking you if you think you can do it for 1/4 of the price of what you just heard. That 1/4 can get you another 10% there. It's the last 10% which is priced crazy! Still that last 10% is difficult, or a matter of opinion, or even a possible fleeting paradigm?

It's a butterfly.

Also add some confused detours along the way, that cost extra. IMO

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #208 of 271
Yes, it is hook line and sinker, this attainment of improvements across time. Addictive for sure, and driven by curiosity (as in "If I can get 2% improvement now, how much more can I get if I just spend a bit more..."). I'm not convinced that hard-addicted 'philes are necessarily bargain hunters, always lookin' for the lowest price on lusted gear.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #209 of 271
Yes, it is hook line and sinker, this attainment of improvements across time. Addictive for sure, and driven by curiosity (as in "If I can get 2% improvement now, how much more can I get if I just spend a bit more..."). I'm not convinced that hard-addicted 'philes are necessarily bargain hunters, always lookin' for the lowest price on lusted gear.

They also sell old gear to fund the new goal. I don't do that but have purchased from audiophiles who do that. They seem to just have stuff that they refer to as 2nd rate, maybe. I just keep stuff. Still I totally understand the process of continuous selling as it gets the curiously prone members across the whole Head-Fi product line without a 2nd on the house. Still maybe if stuff is priced too low it does not seem like it may be good.

The curiosity thing is a concept I was going to use. It's that area of the unknown that makes it so enticing. Maybe like the guy going to Vegas who tells himself he's going to win, but then drives home broke to a mailbox full of bills. He gets by until he starts thinking about Vegas again and the bug gets the best of him.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #210 of 271
^ Yes, that's right, the Vegas analogy. Must be a way for pharmacologically suppressing the curiosity centers of the brain without triggering a deadly addiction lol. A depressant like booze. In Brave New World, there was a drug called "Soma". If memory serves me right, Soma was given to the masses to pacify them, through enhanced satisfaction. Somewhat like what Prozac did for depression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back