When is enough, enough?
Apr 10, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #212 of 271
^ Yes, that's right, the Vegas analogy. Must be a way for pharmacologically suppressing the curiosity centers of the brain without triggering a deadly addiction lol. A depressant like booze. In Brave New World, there was a drug called "Soma". If memory serves me right, Soma was given to the masses to pacify them, through enhanced satisfaction. Somewhat like what Prozac did for depression.

I've kinda done it now myself. I have setup where I make money but also am always putting money back into to the business. It delegates that I can't make big audio purchases all the time but maybe once a year. I end up buying low cost headphones by habit.

But in England gay people were forced into chemical impotency. Child molesters are now treated the same way. A way around it is a substitute if the urge can't be toned down. I guess they have 12 step programs for the gamblers.

It is very much a drug. We were talking about that before. There is maybe a field of science which is now studying how our brains are reacting to self generated chemicals all the time. Everything we even see and think about maybe generates a small amount of a mental changing chemical. Still the buying process is a huge chemical reaction. If the money is enough to the buyer, then the perceived reward is also at that level. But that may be why there is also more stress, as the stakes are much higher and more risky? Betting it all on one hand so to speak.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #213 of 271
41aPAvwyocL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

CBAd_f.jpg

http://www.cshlpress.com/default.tpl?action=full&--eqskudatarq=551

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #214 of 271
I've kinda done it now myself. I have setup where I make money but also am always putting money back into to the business. It delegates that I can't make big audio purchases all the time but maybe once a year. I end up buying low cost headphones by habit.

But in England gay people were forced into chemical impotency. Child molesters are now treated the same way. A way around it is a substitute if the urge can't be toned down. I guess they have 12 step programs for the gamblers.

It is very much a drug. We were talking about that before. There is maybe a field of science which is now studying how our brains are reacting to self generated chemicals all the time. Everything we even see and think about maybe generates a small amount of a mental changing chemical. Still the buying process is a huge chemical reaction. It the money is enough to the buyer, then the perceived reward is also at that level. But that may be why there is also mor stress, as the stakes are much higher and more risky? Betting it all on one hand so to speak.

Retailers tailor the smells and fragrances of their shops to entice consumers to buy their goods, even in lowly grocery stores, but especially in clothing and hi-end lux goods shops. The brain is a chemical soup, amenable to manipulation through our senses like olfaction, vision, and taste. Fascinating. And ad agencies spend tons of cash on research into human behavior and how to get people to spend more based on foibles rooted in brain chemistry and wiring.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #215 of 271
Retailers tailor the smells and fragrances of their shops to entice consumers to buy their goods, even in lowly grocery stores, but especially in clothing and hi-end lux goods shops. The brain is a chemical soup, amenable to manipulation through our senses like olfaction, vision, and taste. Fascinating. And ad agencies spend tons of cash on research into human behavior and how to get people to spend more based on foibles rooted in brain chemistry and wiring.

I don't know if there are any books on the subject but there should be. The subject is supermarket produce. As it turns out America has an entire documented history of produce. A history which is full of tailoring the look and shelf-life of food. Do you really think they choose those thick skinned cucumbers as it was the only choice. If you travel outside the US you can actually find thin-skinned cucumbers which would not make it to the store looking right.

Hemp is one of the most interesting subjects to read about now. It turns out being outlawed has garnered the product a loss of history. We don't know about the seeds, we don't know about the true growing history. There is no history or information. This seems maybe like a simple subject, but when you realize it is in direct contrast to the mountains of graphs charts and profiles of every American agriculture product around things start to make contrast. Because it's a new business, folks are now learning a ton about it.

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #217 of 271
  Here ya go:

A1RDblCdE6L.jpg

Ha. I think the drag and drop bug got you too. All I am seeing is a file name.

For a quick coffee table science intro, Gladwells Blink offers some insight into just how quickly our minds form impressions and give us signals that we at times do not realize we are receiving.

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #218 of 271

Ha. I think the drag and drop bug got you too. All I am seeing is a file name.

For a quick coffee table science intro, Gladwells Blink offers some insight into just how quickly our minds form impressions and give us signals that we at times do not realize we are receiving.

Oops. The book is here:

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10534.html

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #221 of 271
Wow.... I have spend a while to catch up with this thread.

I think all the points mentioned here are very much like what I had going in my head. You guys also give me something to look into and think to divert me from purchasing.

Personally my issues is that the joy and pleasure I get from getting new gear. So I was constantly chasing for that instant gratification. I believe this is the worse type of fulfillment that one can have.

For a few weeks now I have tried to see if I can stop acquiring more gears and be happy with what I have got... in short it did not go well.

I have since bought:
HD480 - for it's great look.
Some cheap AKGs
and some new airline headphones.

Because of my lack of control, I have took the steps have making purchase harder. So far it is working.

I have also started modding again. over the weekend I have converted and modded one of the 12 Airline headphone I got. So far the sound is pleasing and I think there are room for improvements. Regardless there is a light at the end of the tunnel now, so my enough is now for purchasing. 

As for the modded headphone, I notice I have more attachment to it than something I got for a few hundred bucks. If one spend time making something work, regardless of it's physical value, the personal value always seems to give it that much more.

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #222 of 271
^ Different things stimulate different people, "retail therapy", etc. Nothing wrong with chasing the SQ you like, even with frequent buying of tweaks and gear. I like to think that the journey is never-ending, and as long as you don't end up in bankruptcy, it's fine. I used to acquire little things like cabling and connectors to try to tweak my system. I was very lucky that I got the end-game electronics for my system, once and for all (I went almost 20 yrs with a Sony receiver and bookshelf spkrs before getting into hi-end), so constantly buying expensive amps etc was never in the cards for me.

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #223 of 271
Or we could all take Teddy Roosevelt's advice to heart.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back