When Do You Do IT?
Jan 13, 2007 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

TedGamble

Head-Fier
I've been reading here for about a month and have a question for you folks that own the high-end stuff like RSA amps, Grado headphones, ALO interconnects, etc...

What are your listening habits? What I mean is, do you have this stuff at work and stay isolated all day long with your music, or do you sit in isolation at home listening for hours on end, do you use this stuff in the car when you drive or what????

It seems that the only time that I can slow down long enough to steal a few quality moments is at work. Once I get home, there's that endless honey-do list and everthing else that comes along with it.

And by the way, my wife is really gonna hate it that I've found this place. I think she'll not be getting that new "whatever" because I'll be needing to, ummm, do some upgrading myself ...

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 39
i listen to music allmost constantly. it goes on when i get up in the morning (speaker rig) its on during the commute (shure e5) whilst at work (shure e5) on the commute home (e5), whilst sitting around (dt770)... ect ect ect

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 39
There's no way in heck I could listen at work. At least during the day. There are endless phone calls, people dropping by, etc. etc. It's too busy.

However, when I get home, I'll take care of what needs to be done (bills, laundry, etc.) then settle back with headphones and the laptop. I mix it up every night- usually a different pair of headphones, a different amp and a different source every night. Further, I add at 2-3 records or SACDs to the collection every week.

The variety is great. There's always something new to experience and discover, and I never get bored.

Oh, and I usually get 3-4 hours of music before drifting off. I'm not married, so that demand isn't there. I would be willing to give some of it up for a good marriage, though.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 39
It is against the law in California to drive with headphones on.

I do most of my listening at night in my room, usually sometime between 11:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is against the law in California to drive with headphones on.

I do most of my listening at night in my room, usually sometime between 11:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.

then why do i see so many people get out of their cars with headphones on in the rest stops...i mean c'mon,,i love headphones but this is ridiculous..i live in cali by the way

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 39
Here is a very common day for me:

7:00 - wake up and shower
7:30 - head to work
8-12 - work and listen to iPod + one of my portable phones, these days mostly the UM2's
12:00 - head out to school
12:30 - 5:00 work on my thesis + RS1/RA1 listening
5:00 head home for dinner/family time
8:00 kids are in bed, wife is settling in for the night, I begin work at my other job and work from 8-4 or so. The entire time I am listening to music, usually my main rig (I have the luxury these days of working from home for this job). Then to bed.
4-5ish...to fall asleep I listen to the UM2's.
By 5 I'm usually out, but the UM2's are still in, they come out when the alarm goes off at 7.

This is Mon-Fri. The weekends things vary.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then why do i see so many people get out of their cars with headphones on in the rest stops...i mean c'mon,,i love headphones but this is ridiculous..i live in cali by the way

Because people don't care about the law, aren't aware of the law, or think it's a low-risk activity?

Quote:

Distractions and Young

Drivers In the U.S., vehicle crashes are the number one killer of teenagers. Driver distractions, risktaking, and inexperience contribute to more than 5,000 teenage deaths each year. Talking with other teenage passengers or friends in another vehicle, cruising, wearing headphones or earplugs (illegal in California and most states), or playing music too loudly, can be deadly when combined with driving. Keep focused on driving safely and staying alive.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffdl28.htm

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 39
I listen to my portable rig two hours Mon-Friday, when I travel to work and back.
Then use my main rig a couple of hours in the evening. Either for pure relaxing, or when I surf the inter-web.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 39
Speakers at home, and portable rig (H120 + vibes) at school. Being a college student I've got alot of time where I'm just sitting and working, so music is a nice accompaniment.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 39
i'm wired for sound 24/7, unless i'm asleep, in a meeting, or talking (and even then the driver goes right back on/in my ear after). i often wear headphones watching tv (music on the h/p, subtitles on the tv). this is why i prize my portable rig so much. i want music even as i'm hauling recycling to the curb, etc. i am a true music junkie and even my friends call me "music mark".

marathon headphone sessions are mostly at work and when i travel.

welcome to head-fi, sorry about you soon to be empty bank account.
wink.gif

-edit
holy crackers, zanth, how do you get by on only 3 hours of sleep every day?! if i don't get my required 10 hours/day i'm a wreck (not counting my afternoon nap(s) and weekend slob-ins until noon).

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i
holy crackers, zanth, how do you get by on only 3 hours of sleep every day?! if i don't get my required 10 hours/day i'm a wreck (not counting my afternoon nap(s) and weekend slob-ins until noon).

I like 5 but for the last 10-12 months I've been on about 3 hrs/night. My body is used to it now. I have a coffee in the morning and then I drink lots of water throughout the day. That is about it! My wife sleeps 8-10 hours a night and NEEDS at least 9 to be at her chipperest. (is that a word?) Very soon, once my wife's business gets moving this year, I'll drop half of my night hours (go back to part-time there) and do the morning/afternoon/evening thing and then I can get 5 hours a night again.

Morning job = lab work
night job = programming (thus providing me with the option to work at home)

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like 5 but for the last 10-12 months I've been on about 3 hrs/night. My body is used to it now. I have a coffee in the morning and then I drink lots of water throughout the day. That is about it! My wife sleeps 8-10 hours a night and NEEDS at least 9 to be at her chipperest. (is that a word?) Very soon, once my wife's business gets moving this year, I'll drop half of my night hours (go back to part-time there) and do the morning/afternoon/evening thing and then I can get 5 hours a night again.

Morning job = lab work
night job = programming (thus providing me with the option to work at home)

i'm in awe. i need sleep to function. that's probably why i'd never survive in the military. even so, i drink 2 - 3 good cups of coffee a day.

i did the 2 jobs/no sleep thing about 15 years ago. never again. it messed with my reality in a bad way.

Jan 14, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 39
see, that messing with reality is a big part of being a college student I've found. When you've got school full time, a job, sports teams, friends and numerous other hobbies... sleep tends to get pushed back. Needless to say, I love my coffee, and am glad my body can easily adjust to 4-5hr a night.

Jan 14, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i did the 2 jobs/no sleep thing about 15 years ago. never again. it messed with my reality in a bad way.

It definitely sucks. School full-time, work full-time+ and wife and two little ones, definitely a strain on my free time (hence me injecting my free cash into headphone systems, at least I make work/school as enjoyable as possible). What bothers me the most is no time to work out. I've been putting on the padding like mad this past year because I sit on my rump the entire day. There wasn't much I could really do about it. I barely eat but what I do eat just sticks to me. Again, starting in February, my wife's business will pick up and I'll have 2 hours or so to myself which I'm going to use for working out, running etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back