What's your view on custom headphone cables?
Nov 4, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #811 of 881
It's fun to look at his history in other forums.  Same story, same ending there, too.  I'm just confused why so many people come here with the need to be anointed as the next all-knowing headphone expert.  Boring.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #812 of 881
It's funny they do not show up at meets? Where are these guys?

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #814 of 881

I am freaking ROFL. Nice one The Monkey. That is too close to Shut-up. Needed a laugh today. Just got done with finals. Next class Monday.
Quote:
Shut-ins.

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #815 of 881

Quote:
I am freaking ROFL. Nice one The Monkey. That is too close to Shut-up. Needed a laugh today. Just got done with finals. Next class Monday.

You're in school to be a chef, right? This is off clearly off topic, but you should resurrect the cooking thread and post the stuff you've made.
biggrin.gif

On topic, I think Uncle Erik said it best when he talked about custom cables. That post always brings a smile to my face:

Recabling is Head-Fi's equivalent of buying new outfits for a Barbie doll. Don't forget, hi-fi is 90% fashion, anyway. Almost everyone buys on cosmetic values and almost no one understands what goes on inside their equipment. Nor do they make any effort to understand. Those who have actually made an effort to understand cables find them ridiculous.

Further, even a basic grasp of cost accounting shows you how manufacturers lie, cheat and deceive when it comes to pricing. It's one of those lies that's left out in the open, like an elephant in the room. No one points it out, but there it is. The cost of manufacture is nothing compared to what you get shafted for. Is it really any secret why there are so damn many cable manufacturers out there? That's because there's no investment required, no knowledge, no skill, nothing much at all required to whip up a hype machine and fleece the idiots.

If you think cables "work," then prove it. No one has. Nobody. Not in 30+ years of controversy. Maybe someone here will be the first, but I doubt it.

You can play dress up with your headphones, but it doesn't change anything.

The difference between Head-Fi'ers and little girls is that little girls know that Barbie is still Barbie when the outfit is changed.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #816 of 881
Unkle Erik  is spot on there.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #817 of 881
UE has his moments. To me it comes to a couple of things. The better the gear the more the gear will benefit. BUT BUT BUT!!!!!! If you don't really listen to your gear, it is only "room jewelry". Who cares what cables you are using. If you are swapping gear all the time, I wouldn't upgrade cables, you will not truly know the sound of the gear you have and you will spend a ton of money trying stuff out.
If you really know the sound of each piece of gear in your rig, you know when you notice any change in the rig. Like you know what tubes you have by sound, not by sight. You know what your rig sounds like when it is not warmed up/ warmed up. Or when you leave it on all night. You know what several headphones sound like on your rig.
Point being, once you really get intimate with the sound of your rig, cables will make a difference, and once you define your sound, you will know what direction to go in.

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #818 of 881
Guess no one has ever reached that level of intimacy.

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #820 of 881
This assumes a high level of intimacy means that differences will be found. You could get to the same level and find no difference. That is more likely as there is no difference......

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #821 of 881
It is like this, every piece of gear has a house sound. Get very acquainted with all the house sounds. Then fine tune from there on what works for you and what doesn't.

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #823 of 881
I think people buy cables to differentiate there setups, kind of like "sure you have the hd600s but mine are better because of my super linear aqua coated polonium cored, bat skinned wank wire".
just my opinion.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #824 of 881
I believe certain cables make a difference but that doesn't necessarily mean for the better. I used to have HD600 with Cardas and haven't noticed any change from the stock until I was selling the headphones and tried the stock again. The veil was gone with the stock cable but the bass was weaker from the thin cable. So in a way Cardas was better but so was the stock cable which was 200€ cheaper. Worth it? Not in my opinion unless you like the more veiled sound with more bass and if they are your end game headphones but we all know no such thing exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back