What's your view on custom headphone cables?
Sep 26, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #736 of 881
What I still cannot fathom (and therefore, what boggles my mind) is how some people believe that their ears (or, for that matter, their headphones) are infinitely more precise than thousands of dollars of high-precision measuring equipment, or else that there is some measurement of audio quality that is somehow separate from changes in the signal from point A to point B. Your headphone amplifier supplies a current and a voltage, which, when fed to a dynamic driver, will move the air around it in accordance with small changes in current and voltage in order to perform the reverse task of the microphone (which we can view as a variable resistor that changes resistance when sound waves hit it, for all necessary intents and purposes.) What, then, is the problem with scientific measurements that show no difference between cables? What other mystical element of audio reproduction cannot be accounted for by these simple factors? Microphones use air to cause tiny changes in a current of electricity, and speakers recreate these changes, nothing more.

All my interconnect cables are built by me to be rugged, good looking, functional, and have low microphonics. Beyond these factors, there is no reason to pay more money for a cable.

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #737 of 881

Quote:
What I still cannot fathom (and therefore, what boggles my mind) is how some people believe that their ears (or, for that matter, their headphones) are infinitely more precise than thousands of dollars of high-precision measuring equipment, or else that there is some measurement of audio quality that is somehow separate from changes in the signal from point A to point B. Your headphone amplifier supplies a current and a voltage, which, when fed to a dynamic driver, will move the air around it in accordance with small changes in current and voltage in order to perform the reverse task of the microphone (which we can view as a variable resistor that changes resistance when sound waves hit it, for all necessary intents and purposes.) What, then, is the problem with scientific measurements that show no difference between cables? What other mystical element of audio reproduction cannot be accounted for by these simple factors? Microphones use air to cause tiny changes in a current of electricity, and speakers recreate these changes, nothing more.

All my interconnect cables are built by me to be rugged, good looking, functional, and have low microphonics. Beyond these factors, there is no reason to pay more money for a cable.

I hear a difference between cables at times.  I try to explain it.  If one area of explanation isn't logical, then I look elsewhere.  I now see them as cables with connectors at the headphone end and at the amp end.  I don't know if the connectors have something to do with this.  I hear changes when I spend money on a component on one occasion.  I don't hear changes after spending a lot on another component.  Because of this mixed experience, I'm deeply reluctant to concede to a selective placebo effect since science is unable to explain my experience... at this time.  The cost of the cable really doesn't matter on this point, though price does seem to colour the discussion.

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #738 of 881
Quote:
I'm deeply reluctant to concede to a selective placebo effect since science is unable to explain my experience... at this time.

Placebo is the scientific explanation.

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #739 of 881

Sorry, "Placebo," in this case, is the scientific excuse because their tests suck wind so badly.

L3000.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #741 of 881

Quote:

Sorry, "Placebo," in this case, is the scientific excuse because their tests suck wind so badly.

L3000.gif

Only when based on the false premise that the tests are supposedly designed to fail. Placebo and psychacoustics, is there any evidence either or neither do not exist in terms of different cables sounding differently?

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #742 of 881
To me, custom cables are a hit or miss to one. Meaning, not all will appreaciate it. But for me, the main reason i get any custom cables is because of my love for my headdy. I dont see any other reason for one's spurge on the area. If you dont like the headphone, why would you invest more moolah on it? Where does this makes sense? But does it really improve the sound? Thats another debate... If you notice carefully, one's investment on mods/aftermath cables on headphones are mostly to increase the fashion appeal of the headphone... nothing other than that?

Rediculous ? redundant ? Well each man write's his own history, therefore no man is right or wrong. Its just the difference in opinion.

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #743 of 881

Quote:
To me, custom cables are a hit or miss to one. Meaning, not all will appreaciate it. But for me, the main reason i get any custom cables is because of my love for my headdy. I dont see any other reason for one's spurge on the area. If you dont like the headphone, why would you invest more moolah on it? Where does this makes sense? But does it really improve the sound? Thats another debate... If you notice carefully, one's investment on mods/aftermath cables on headphones are mostly to increase the fashion appeal of the headphone... nothing other than that?

Rediculous ? redundant ? Well each man write's his own history, therefore no man is right or wrong. Its just the difference in opinion.

That hit and miss is another reason why it is wrong to claim something inherent in the cable itself that causes improved sound. It further shows that placebo and psychoacoustics are at work.

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #744 of 881

Quote:

Changing the sound perhaps? 
K702 stock: Brighter, has a metallic tinge to the music.
K702 blue dragon: Has a more full bodied/stronger sound. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #745 of 881

Quote:
Changing the sound perhaps? 
K702 stock: Brighter, has a metallic tinge to the music.
K702 blue dragon: Has a more full bodied/stronger sound. 

How do you explain why others would find no difference in the sound?

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #746 of 881

Quote:

The same reason why some find differences between 320Kbps or even 256Kbps mp3's when compared to lossless, while others don't.  The same reason why some find differences between two amps, while others don't.  The same reason why some find a headphone to be bright and others find it dark.  Contrasting views on differences, both qualitatively and quantitatively abound here.  It's not only related to cables.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #747 of 881

Quote:

Well you cant, and thats just it. We can say various things on both sides as to why its real or not, proven or placebo, but at the end of the day the people who can hear differences are going to continue to buy cables and get further enjoyment (hopefully) and others who don't believe in it will continue to sit back and wonder why.

I can hear differences, others cant; however for those who cant, id advise to make sure that you are listening to two different cables that are both claiming to change the sound. Switching from a stock to... nucleotide might not change much but switching from a stock to silver to blue dragon will be a day and night difference.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #748 of 881

Quote:
Well you cant, and thats just it. We can say various things on both sides as to why its real or not, proven or placebo, but at the end of the day the people who can hear differences are going to continue to buy cables and get further enjoyment (hopefully) and others who don't believe in it will continue to sit back and wonder why.

I can hear differences, others cant; however for those who cant, id advise to make sure that you are listening to two different cables that are both claiming to change the sound. Switching from a stock to... nucleotide might not change much but switching from a stock to silver to blue dragon will be a day and night difference.

No, you can't, I can 
wink_face.gif
I have very good reasons as to why you do hear a difference under certain conditions (the placebo your coloured dragons bring to you) and cannot under others (blind testing).

I don't sit back and wonder why, because as shown above, I know why. I sit back and think that it is wrong to attribute some effect to the wrong reason and that I should point out the correct reason. That way people can make more educated choices.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #749 of 881

Quote:

Well then, try double blind testing it yourself!

Oh wait, that method of testing must be "flawed," because it, like every other scientific test, finds no difference.

It amazes me what the believers come up with to support their side. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #750 of 881
Casual listeners would not be able to tell. Also if you do not know what to listen for? Somethings just come with time.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back