What's Your Source?
Sep 2, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #17 of 112
Vinyl.
CDs are no longer allowed in the "man-cave" where all the audio gear resides
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #18 of 112
Still CD player, although I'm slowly but steadily moving to PC based source. If done right it offers the same quality as high end CD player in more convenient way.

Sep 2, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #20 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the input has to come from somewhere, a CD player/computer.

Thats the digital transport, I always think of the source as the device that puts out the line level analog signal.

I don't think people who actually use analog output on their computer and people who use an external DAC can be lumped in the same category.

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #22 of 112
CD and SACD players. I think there are less factors to take into account with CDPs. I'm intrigued with computer-as-source because sonically they are way up there (believing people's statements) and the convenience might be the best ever, however, I find them harsh and and grainy in the top-end. This is, of course, in the context that I have never tapped my comp into a top shelf DAC with everything tweaked to within an inch of its life.

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #24 of 112
Squeezeboxes have completely replaced CDP and computer as source at my home -- I run a server 24/7 anyway. No hassle with discs and they sound good out of the box and even better if you upgrade to a regulated power supply.

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #25 of 112
Depends which rig we are talking about...
smily_headphones1.gif

Home:
Computer (MacBook Pro -> Electrocompaniet ECD1)

Portable:
Portable Digital Player (iPod nano or 5G iPod)

Sep 2, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #27 of 112
Earlier this year I purchased a SqueezeBox to checkout the practicality of a computer-based audio library. As of today, I have converted my 1000+ library of CD's to Apple Lossless and have 5 SqueezeBoxes around the house. Most of my CD players have been put into storage. The convenience of having our entire library available anywhere in our home (or remotely) is fantastic. I listen to more music and more variety than ever before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back