What's your internet connection?
Feb 7, 2002 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
I have DSL, 768/128...just wondering what kind of speeds people view these pages at
confused.gif

Feb 7, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #4 of 68
Roadrunner cable modem.

Feb 7, 2002 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 68
just got the dsl earlier this month. Sucked being on dialup for a year and a half (living off campus) after two years in wired dorms.

Feb 7, 2002 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 68
I use a cable modem (Time-Warner RoadRunner).

For those on dial-up, to maximize the speed of Head-Fi, you can go into your user control panel (see "user cp" button at the top of most pages in Head-Fi), and you can use the following settings:
  1. Set "Show user's signatures in their posts?" to no
  2. Set "Show user's avatar in their posts?" to no
  3. Set "Show image attachments and code in Posts?"[/i] to [b]no[/b] [*] Set [i]"Default Thread View:"[/i] to one of the lower settings [*] Set [i]"Default Posts per Thread:"[/i] to one of the lower settings [/list]
    While we're on the topic of the user control panel, may I suggest that all of you using Private Messaging set your [i]"Pop up a box when you receive a Private Message?"[/i] option to [b]yes[/b] so you know when you have Private Messages waiting for you.

Feb 7, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 68
Jude - NOW you tell me...where were you a month ago?
biggrin.gif

Just kidding. Good tips for when I'm back home (need to convince my parents to dump AOL.............
rolleyes.gif
)

Feb 7, 2002 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 68
Well, I'm STILL STUCK on a crappy 56K dialup connection; my ENTIRE household can't afford any broadband service whatsoever.
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2002 at 8:27 AM Post #11 of 68
Eagle Driver - Are you serious? Cable is $44 a month here, so it is cheaper then dialup + an extra phone line + dialup. But my house has 4 computers and a laptop hooked up to the switch so it is much cheaper then 2 or 3 dedicated phone lines.

I have 1500/300 cable. It isn't fast enough.

Feb 7, 2002 at 8:48 AM Post #12 of 68
ADSL for me. I used it for a year or so now and I love it. It's fast and stable, unlike cable which I heard that there are lots of problems (4am in the morning you're finishing your researching and....damn! Internet's down!!!).

Feb 7, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 68
T2 equivelent wireless connection (20Mb/sec) shared between 200 people. The most I've downloaded at is 700KB/sec, but that was when nobody else was online.

At home, 28.8 dialup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back