What's your internet connection?
Feb 8, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #31 of 68
56k, but I am a month away from cable modem. I have everything except the connection to the house. A friend gave me the network card and a Surfboard Sb3100 cable modem. It's good to have friends.

Feb 8, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #32 of 68
Cable modem here.........$30 per month.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #33 of 68
Optus uncapped cable
smily_headphones1.gif

max speed Ive hit is abit over 1 meg per sec.

upstream is capped at 16KB/s B as in byte

Feb 8, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #34 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
I have ADSL. 640/90 Fast, efficient, reliable. Problems are rare, and all three computers on my home network are attached -- one (an iBook) wirelessly. I can browse the web from any spot on my property with the laptop. Very cool.

Ah, surfing on the can
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Satellite is a terrible choice if one of the other high-speed options is available. It's throughput is good but it has terrible latency. So if you're downloading a large file, like a linux .iso, it's good. But if you're loading up lots of small files, like Head-Fi pages, the latency kills performance.

It's even worse if you play games online...

Feb 8, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #37 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Persiflage: What college? I gotta look into applying there...

lol, you really don't. I'm at Case Western Reserve University. Our network connection has a rather silly history. When I said it seemed like a good idea at the time, I really did mean it.

We switched to OC3 ATM in 96, I believe, and at that point ATM was a very (VERY) forward looking technology. 155mbps. It was also sickeningly expensive. The problem was that not everyone was able to use ATM. ATM drivers in Unix were difficult at best, and no ATM cards existed for laptops. It didn't work with slow machines, etc.

So those computers used ethernet (over fiber). Some other problems were faced in connecting the switched ATM machines with our old unswitched (litterally our entire campus had one flat topology) 10-base-T ethernet that some machines were using. Basically, driver support for ATM cards was nowhere to be found, and I think it really never went anywhere as a desktop technology.

On the bright side, over the summer we're finally fixing our network and replacing everything with gigabit ethernet (still over fiber) to the desktop and a fairly comprhensive wireless setup. At least, that's the plan.

Feb 8, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #38 of 68
Where's "28.8"?

How many of you remember when we measured things in "baud"?

Feb 8, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #39 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Where's "28.8"?

How many of you remember when we measured things in "baud"?

God, don't remind me. I remember 9600 baud when i was in HS, what a nightmare....took several minutes to download one **** pic...seesh.
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2002 at 2:29 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
What! The most i ever got was 100k download. Otherwise its very spotty, constant outages, my service is Acecape, aka Acedsl. Russ who are you connected to?

Don't confuse kilobits with kilobytes. Internet connections are commonly quoted in Kb, kilobits. When you're downloading a large file and your browser gives you current download rates, it's in KB, kilobytes. So my real-world throughput of 550 Kb/sec results in maximum download rates of around 70 KB per second.

I've got Verizon Online DSL service.

Feb 8, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #42 of 68
Quote:

Don't confuse kilobits with kilobytes. Internet connections are commonly quoted in Kb, kilobits. When you're downloading a large file and your browser gives you current download rates, it's in KB, kilobytes. So my real-world throughput of 550 Kb/sec results in maximum download rates of around 70 KB per second.

I've got Verizon Online DSL service.

yeah i was thinking of Kilobytes, man, i get better speeds than you, HAHA.
biggrin.gif

As for verizon, i had them before and had a lot of problems with them. Do you ever test your line through dslreports? I usually hit 700/120 or so.

Feb 9, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
God, don't remind me. I remember 9600 baud when i was in HS, what a nightmare...

Hey, I remember when 9600 was considered good. Quote:

...took several minutes to download one **** pic...

Pics, you had pics? We had ASCII and our (admittedly fertile) imaginations.

Feb 9, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #44 of 68
Yeah, some kid in HS figured out how to, i dunno, hack into downloading and viewing **** pics when we had computer class. We all used to sit their and giggle like little girls, especially when the teacher caught on and still couldn't figure out himself how the kid was doing it. What a genius.

Hey Dusty, Shirley is still waiting for you
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #45 of 68
I have the AOL Plus satellite broadband system, based upon DirecPC. Unlike people who have DirecPC service from Hughes, there is no "bandwidth throttling", and no maximum download size per session. AOL only claims 400kbps for this service, but it routinely is twice that fast. 500kbps, and even 700kbps streaming video (from the windowsmedia.com site) streams reliably with no stops to "re-buffer". I am EXTREMELY satisfied...especially when I consider that the AOL PLus Satellite is only 20 dollars per month more than standard aol (just 40 bucks and change per month for aol, plus broadband).

I know knocking AOL is a popular sport, but since they're a part of Time Warner, they have an extremely deep catalog of music, tv, and film material to offer broadband subscribers...from Looney Tunes cartoons to CNN news, music videos, and (with surprisingly poor audio quality, since it's a "broadband" feature) streaming radio stations.

There is one caveat, however. "AOL Plus" satellite is broadband in only one direction...the downstream. Upstream still passes through a telephone line. But what it does, it does VERY well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back