What's your foobar2000 setup?
Oct 18, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #151 of 527
Quote:
How did you get such clean, clear delineations of intensity on the waveform? I can't seem to configure mine to be anything near what you've got.

-- Griffinhart

Started with this.  Tweaked numbers to see what they did, crashing foobar several times.  Ended up with this.  Pretty sure I removed the lines that controlled the sharpness of the edges but on that first link's pastebin it might be the top of the section 'float RMSfactor' starting at line 73.

Edit: Just tested.  That was for bar height.  Sharpness is under 'float4 PS' (around line 100).  Change the number in "dy = 1/viewportSize.y;".

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #157 of 527
Actually, Foobar2K ran really well on my Eee PC 701. It only has a 800MHz processor, and 2GB 667MHz ram. Zero problems. From my own experience, iTunes runs pretty sluggish on any Windows based PC.. 

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #158 of 527

Quote:
Would Foobar2000 be a good music player for a netbook that isn't very fast?  I am getting tired of the delay I frequently get from iTunes.

A standard/default f2k install should be running under 20MB of RAM and precious little CPU cycles. Now, if you're doing a lot of concurrent things through a mess of plugins like I am, expect that to go up. (For the record, my f2k install on Joyeuse runs something like 200MB of RAM [out of 24GB] and peaks ~5% CPU use [on a stock Core i7-930].)

-- Griffinhart

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #160 of 527
So I downloaded Foobar and its way faster than iTunes though it looks really plain.  I need to figure out how to make it look better and also to display the same info that was shown for each track in iTunes.

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #162 of 527

Quote:
Have FUN!  Just experiment, if you screw up you can always reset it back to the default view.  I'm still finding new things.

Well I like the speed at which it opens and adds my library but the interface isn't the most user friendly.  When I use the search function it doesn't search my entire library and the information isn't as organized as it was with itunes.  In fact none of the album art is visible. I guess I just need to play with it some more.

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #163 of 527
Well I like the speed at which it opens and adds my library but the interface isn't the most user friendly.  When I use the search function it doesn't search my entire library and the information isn't as organized as it was with itunes.  In fact none of the album art is visible. I guess I just need to play with it some more.

Yep, playing around with it is almost essential really.

I recommend playing around with the following components, unless they severely degrade performance:
foo_ui_columns
An alternative user interface that let's you do all sorts of pretty stuff.

foo_uie_elplaylist
foo_uie_esplaylist

My two favorite playlist displays. They both have excellent options for displaying album art. If your album art still doesn't appear play around in the settings of foobar2000 (Preferences -> Display, and then edit the search patterns according to how you normally do it.)

foo_dop
iPod manager. Almost essential if you are an iPod/iPhone/iPad user.

foo_audioscrobbler
Last.FM scrobbler. Very useful if you use Last.FM

foo_uie_trackinfo_mod
foo_textdisplay
Two text display plugins. Very useful to display all sorts of information, but you need to know how foobar2000 title formatting scripts work. Very easy if you have some prior scripting experience.

foo_plorg
Very useful playlist organizer.

If you need any help, just ask. Also if you want to learn how to use title formatting scripts in foobar2000 I can give you some useful links and instructions.

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #164 of 527
Columns used to be pretty essential, but the built-in user customizable layout option has been vastly improved in the last year or two.  There are some nifty columns-only plugins, but I don't think columns is as necessary as it used to be.  Most folks I know with have ditched columns and just put together their own interface with the improved layout editor and functionality.

Try creating a frame to hold your media library, and try the different formats (I like keeping mine as a folder hierarchy, and don't use an ID3 tagged library).  I've found the search option fast and effective, it works great with international typesets, and it updates to any file/folder changes in real-time.

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #165 of 527
Columns used to be pretty essential, but the built-in user customizable layout option has been vastly improved in the last year or two.  There are some nifty columns-only plugins, but I don't think columns is as necessary as it used to be.  Most folks I know with have ditched columns and just put together their own interface with the improved layout editor and functionality.

Try creating a frame to hold your media library, and try the different formats (I like keeping mine as a folder hierarchy, and don't use an ID3 tagged library).  I've found the search option fast and effective, it works great with international typesets, and it updates to any file/folder changes in real-time.

I've been using columns for two years now, and before it was pretty much essential. Never really bothered to change back.

I'll try and see whether I can work out some new awesome UI with standard user interface. The main problem will be getting something as nice as EsPlaylist, as that one is for columns only.

Edit:
Sweet, EsPlaylist works with default UI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back