What's your favourite movie(s)????
Jan 25, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #106 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by B&WMan

I'm surprised that someone mentioned Kiselewski's movies. I personally don't think they are that great.

I'm not surprised, while I didn't mention them in my list, they are wonderful films. His "Decalogue" for Polish Television is also noteworthy.

Jan 26, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #107 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by dotrat

I'm not surprised, while I didn't mention them in my list, they are wonderful films. His "Decalogue" for Polish Television is also noteworthy.

I find his work too dark and depressing. In my opinion a good movie should do either one of the following or all of the following.

1.Entertain
2. Educate

I couldn't bear to watch "Decalogue" I found it to be more of the same. I also think that the Polish actors in his works are horrible. Their acting is wary unnatural. They act like bad "theater" actors not like "movie" actors . No matter what the scene is they act like they are about to be crucified at any moment.
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #109 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
hey Flasken,

i think it's time to start your least favorite movie thread. i've got mine already picked out.

star wars: phantom anus.

Agreed that film was an insult to Lucas,s fans.
mad.gif

Jan 27, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #111 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by B&WMan
I find his work too dark and depressing. In my opinion a good movie should do either one of the following or all of the following.

1.Entertain
2. Educate

Did you watch Red? The acting was astoundingly good, and it both entertains and educates. As to the Decalogue, the thing that stands out is that few other filmmakers have the motivation or skill to even tackle those themes. The acting may not have been great (though there were some good performances), but the topics and themes have relevance to everyone's lives, and put you in a contemplative mood. Most filmmakers do not have the skill to make the viewer contemplate their own lives like he did. He may not be your cup of tea, but he was (IMO) one of the best filmmakers ever to live.

Jan 27, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #112 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I don't like any of the Star Wars movies, Lucas sucks ... I don't get what all the hype was about.

Okay, so you didn't get it. I thought Star Wars was good, The Empire Strikes Back was (truly) great, and Return of the Jedi was good. Phantom Menace was visually stunning, but aside from two well-executed action sequences, boring. Note that my favorite (The Empire Strikes Back) was not directed by Lucas. Neither was Return of the Jedi.

Jan 27, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #114 of 149
As far as Star Wars goes I ONLY liked The Empire Strikes Back, which is one of the best sci-fi films ever made, IHMO. It's the only one I want to get on DVD, if that fat rich person ever gets around to releasing it. But, that said, I hated the other three films.

Jan 27, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #115 of 149
I must be the oddball of Star Wars fans, since I liked Empire Strikes Back the least out of the original three. Of course, it was still better than Phantom Menace.

Jan 28, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #116 of 149
Quote:

Blade

NO! you must be kidding... not Blade... ARGH! Snipes rapes an innocent Marvel Comics character...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm amazed noone mentioned Apocalypse Now before page 3... I saw the Redux version in the cinema (I'm too young to have seen the original version on anything but TV) and I really liked it, beautiful and awesome - it has now joined those few movies that did something to me...

Some other favorites are:

Bladerunner
The Green Mile
The Abyss
The Seven Samurai
Clint Eastwood Westerns...
Pulp Fiction
The Matrix
Heat
The "Naked Gun" series
The "Hot Shots" movies
Shrek
Dead Poets Society
Lord of the Rings
DustyChalk mentioned Wallace & Gromit... Damn! I love all of them, they are the cream of stop motion
smily_headphones1.gif

saxphile, if only Jean Paul Guitier (misspelled) hadn't made the costumes for the Fifth Element
frown.gif

naturally there are more.... if only I could remember them right now...

Jan 28, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #117 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by Mumrik
NO! you must be kidding... not Blade... ARGH! Snipes rapes an innocent Marvel Comics character...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Wha?!? Blade was good! I had forgotten that one.

Look, no movie (short of one or two) is ever better than its original incarnation -- book, comic, "illustrated novel", whatever. Given that, and we ignore that shortcoming on all movies, wouldn't you say it was good?

Mm...that reminds me: Spawn! j/k -- I liked it, but I wouldn't say it was one of my favourites.

You know they're coming out with a Blade 2, right?

Jan 28, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #119 of 149
Quote:

Blade was killer!!! Sure it was a bit cheesy, but that's the directors/writers fault.

And Snipes'... I seems to have a problem with that guy
biggrin.gif
He just seems too fake for almost any role... even a comic book hero.

Jan 28, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #120 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by Mumrik

I'm amazed noone mentioned Apocalypse Now before page 3... I saw the Redux version in the cinema (I'm too young to have seen the original version on anything but TV) and I really liked it, beautiful and awesome - it has now joined those few movies that did something to me...

In my opinion, Apocalypse Now is a tad too tedious about half way into the movie. It starts off really good but slows down to a crawl during the swamp scene. I didn't think much of it actually, i think i walked away thinking, "whats the big deal?" A little overrated IMHO.

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back