What's your favorite Live Album?
Jan 14, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #77 of 152
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
Nope, just one -- just went across the street to Tower Records, and they have it for US$9.99 retail (which means it'll be at most US$7.99 when the sale rolls around, which should be any day now).

Hmmm, how many tracks are on it? I wasn't able to find it, i did find "some enchanted evening" which i have and is just plain horrible compared to "Extraterrestrial" which is 2Lp's.

George

Jan 18, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #78 of 152
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Hmmm, how many tracks are on it?

13. Quote:

..."some enchanted evening" which i have and is just plain horrible...

Disagree -- I love those versions of those songs. Especially "Astronomy" -- that is easily the best version of that song, I love the way they fade in that ending instead of just kicking it in, as on the studio version on Secret Treaties. I have to admit, though -- the vocals aren't as refined as they are on Agents of Fortune and Spectres, they take some getting used to. But that was like the second album I ever got by them, and in the first 50 albums that I ever got (by anyone).

Extraterrestrial Live, Some Enchanted Evening, On Your Feet or On Your Knees...Blue Oyster Cult put out some of the greatest live albums ever!

Jan 21, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #79 of 152
Quote:

Belafonte at Carnegie Hall (1959) Considered the "grandaddy" of live musical recordings. Often used as a demo disc to showcase fine audio equipment, this is the ultimate in regard to sound/performance....even if you're not a fan (which I, for one, am not). The sound of the hall and audiance are so real, you feel as though you are present at the show yourself!

I never knew it was an audiophile recording. Hm, I've heard it enough because my brother loves the music. Now I have to pick up a copy and hear it on something else other than my brother funky little system.

This thread has been moving along nicely. I never even mentioned my favorites and I started this thing.

Little Feat "Waiting For Columbus"

Of couse I must add,

Grateful Dead "Europe 72"

Jan 24, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #81 of 152
Pink Floyd's "Delicate Sound of Thunder." Digitally recorded, this sounds simply awesome on my Sony MZ-R909. Sure, no Roger Waters, but, still, classic PF at their best......You should hear "Comfortably Numb".....

Jan 25, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #82 of 152
so has anyone here actually heard the live version of Stanglehold (so good it is painful) or White Buffalo from 'Double Live Gonzo ?
Or realize the first version of Smoke on The Water was from Made In Japan ?And it was written during the tour ?
Does anyone really give a crap ?
Still stand by my picks on page 1

Jan 25, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #83 of 152
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
so has anyone here actually heard the live version of Stanglehold (so good it is painful) or White Buffalo from 'Double Live Gonzo ?

Yeah, forgot about that one -- Ted is gonzo, man. "...this guitar can blow the balls off a charging rhino at 50 paces..." Quote:

Or realize the first version of Smoke on The Water was from Made In Japan ?

Yeah, Made in Japan is pretty classic, too. That version of "Lazy"...and "Space Trucking"...hmmm...(strokes chin)...(thinks about it)...nope, too hard, I give up...

How about great versions: "Dazed and Confused" from The Song Remains the Same; "Free Bird" from One More From The Road; "Green Grass and High Tides" from ...um...whatever, that Outlaws album...; "Working Man" from All The World's A Stage?

Sorry, went a little old school, I'm back.

Feb 16, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #84 of 152
ok so as of late I've been able to get some decent cash flow and have finally been able to start buying cd's again
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
just got the

portishead-roseland nyc live

cd ..... mmmmmmmmmmmmm
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #87 of 152
Radiohead: 9.16.01: soundboard recording, very nice performance.

Feb 20, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #88 of 152
Some of those already posted are on my short list, but my favorites also include (to add a little variety):

Rasaan Roland Kirk, Bright Moments
Sinatra & Basie, Live at the Sands (great remastering job)
Johnny Cash, At Folsom Prison (ditto)
Jazz from Massey Hall (a/k/a World's Greatest Jazz Concert)
Most Newport Folk Festival albums from '59 - '63.
Dylan, Columbia Bootlegs [sic] Vol. 4.
Benny Goodman, Carnegie Hall Concert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back