What's your favorite Live Album?
Nov 28, 2001 at 9:00 PM Post #46 of 152
I forgot abut this live CD which I also have on VHS tape and I just picked up the DVD today. Queensryche - Operation Live Crime

B00005RG6B.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Nov 28, 2001 at 10:49 PM Post #47 of 152
Hey, Hirsch, good call on the Laurie Anderson!

A couple of my favorites:

Crack the Sky - Live Sky and Live at the Recher Theater (because I am actually on the latter)

Bauhaus - Gotham (I am in this one, too...somewhere...if you get the DVD, I'm the one dressed in black...)

Tangerine Dream - Ricochet

Klaus Schulze - Live

Buzzcocks - Beating Hearts

Nov 29, 2001 at 1:55 AM Post #48 of 152
My submission will be Lou Reed "Take No Prisoners". It walks a line between a raw rock performance and a comedy routine. And it's a binaural recording.

Dec 9, 2001 at 5:01 PM Post #49 of 152
Thanks to others for the additional album suggestions beside album choices I have already enjoyed greatly, particularly in Jazz. Outside of the fact that I was in high school in Rockford, IL right behind Rick Nielsen and Brad Carlson, this album was among the first for me to stand for what good music performed live and well produced could sound like. It's their early (and IMO best) stuff.

Dec 9, 2001 at 5:16 PM Post #50 of 152
Easy...

Pearl Jam's "Live on Two Legs"

Well recorded, well mixed, well mastered without losing the 'live' energy. There are even warts left in there from performance mistakes further enhancing the experience.

Of course, I'm biased seeing how I went to the Denver show of this tour and was maybe 20 rows back from the stage. So some of the novelty for me is nostalgic.

Dec 9, 2001 at 6:37 PM Post #51 of 152
I dunno, i picked up the all three Jones Beach, NY shows and thought the vocals were too soft, the band basically over powered eddie's vocals. Maybe i should give them another listen with my 7506's
smily_headphones1.gif

George

Dec 9, 2001 at 7:08 PM Post #52 of 152
I'm talking about the live album released from their "Yield" tour not the recent released collection of shows from the "Binaural" tour.

I do love some of those even though the quality isn't perfect. I personally love the fact that the band decided to do this as these are better recordings than what can usually be had on bootleg. Plus I can hear the show in New Mexico I had tickets to but missed so it's almost as good as being there. Even if I had been there it would be a great way to remember the performance. I really wish I had a good board recording of that '98 Denver show from "Yeild".

Dec 10, 2001 at 4:01 PM Post #53 of 152
I know the sound quality sucks on this one, but I'll vote for the Stone Roses Glasgow Green bootleg. I love it with crowd noises and all. This performance has my favorite version of Elephant Stone on it. I would love to find a proper cd of it. Hmm, maybe I'll check ebay like mcbiff.

Jan 4, 2002 at 12:37 PM Post #55 of 152
Iona - Heavens bright Sun 2 cd absoultely stunning celtic rock.

Okay, I know I am very late to this thread, but only now I came to discover this forum.

Very glad to meet another IONA fan around, this is one of my current favorite bands too. If you don't know the band MOSTLY AUTUMN yet, you should check them out, their music is also very Celtic influenced.

Even though I am a huge Iona fan, I didn't have the chance to listen to Heaven's Bright Sun live album yet, so my current favorite live album still remains this one:

PORCUPINE TREE - Coma Divine (this album rocks!!!)

Best regards.

Jan 4, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #57 of 152
Wow, I tottally missed this thread.

MTV Unplugged in New York - Nirvana

Hands down, my favorite live recording... There are a few songs here and there on other discs, but I'm too lazy to mention those.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #58 of 152
Some of my radiohead boots have been getting a lot of listening...especially two i got from the Amnesiac tour
smily_headphones1.gif

George

Jan 6, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #59 of 152
I can't believe that there aren't any hard-core Rush fans out there!

I haven't had a live CD listening experience, ever, like hearing all three CD's from "Different Stages." The first two discs are from the "Test For Echo" tour and the third is a true Rush fan treasure - a show they did in London's Odeon in early 1980.

The sound qaulity absolutely blows away any live recording I've ever heard, especially on the T4E discs. Most of the tracks on these first two CDs were recorded in an amphitheatre in Chicago, the day after the Bulls won the NBA championship in 1997, and tha fans are really pumped up! The band plays exceptionally well, that night.

There are a few warts in the recording, which leaves the listener with a sense of authenticity, as Rush, normally, don't make too many on-stage boo-boos...

The third disc was recorded during the time the band was into its heavy prog-rock mode, which is my favourite Rush era. "A Farewell to Kings" and "Hemipsheres" are two of the greatest progressive rock albums, ever. The whole 3-CD package cost about the same as a typical single disc.

"Different Stages" really rocks when listening to it on MD with my Sony MDR-E888's.

Jan 6, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #60 of 152
Quite into the live recodings here. Some of my faves are:

Eva Cassidy - Live At Blues Alley
Trish Murphy - Captured (Live in Austin, TX june-July 2001)
Cowboy Junkies - 200 More Miles
Tom Waits - Nighthawks At The Diner

And the totaly unforgettable:
Gram Parsons and the Fallen Angels - Live 1973

The best live boots that I have heard are those from
Steve Earle & Del McCoury - Live at Malmo 19/5/99 & 15/6/99
Suzanne Vega at the BBC Radio Studio

Good listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back