What's your favorite Live Album?
Feb 27, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #91 of 152
Read the rules dave,no CT posters allowed
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #92 of 152
Among older "vintage" live recordings:

Miles Davis - "Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel" - my favorite recording in my collection live or studio

John Coltrane - "Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings"

Ornette Coleman - "At the Golden Circle Vol. I & II"

Bill Evans - "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" & "Waltz for Debby"

Art Blakey - "A Night at Birdland Vol. I & II"

Charles Mingus - "Mingus at Antibes"

Charlie Parker - "Jazz at Massey Hall"

Cecil Taylor - "Nefertiti: the Beautiful One Has Come"

Among more recent live recordings (80s-90s and beyond):

DKV Trio: "Live at Wels and Chicago"

Joe Henderson: "The State of the Tenor"

Keith Jarrett: "Complete Live at the Blue Note"

Steve Lacy: "Morning Joy: Live at the Sunset Paris"

Masada: "Live at Tonic 2001"

Brad Mehldau: "Art of the Trio: Vol. IV"

Greg Osby: "Banned In New York"

Horace Tapscott: "The Dark Trees Vol. I & II"

Feb 28, 2002 at 10:19 PM Post #94 of 152
Jazz/Electric Guitar:

Larry Carlton - Last Nite

(Recorded live at the Baked Potato in SF)

Mar 1, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #95 of 152
Quote:

Originally posted by Nattapong
If I can only take one ... "The Koln Concert" it is. (Keith Jarrett)

Hi, Nattapong. I was just listening to the Sun Bear Concerts, probably my favorite after Paris Concert. What blows me away about this 5+ CD set is that it was recorded over a two week period, 5 nights, entirely improvised. He went into each concert without any anticipation of what he was going to play. Each CD ends up being different. Keith Jarrett is probably the single most amazing piano player in the world.

Mar 1, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #96 of 152
I will check it out... 5 CDs.. um... it could be a little too long for solo piano .. :b

Do you like his other setup .. like trio or quartet??? I don't have too many of him.... only the Koln Concert ... and Belonging... Belonging is another great CD...

... what strange is .. you know what I like about Keith Jarrette is ..he hum... so moving....

Mar 1, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #97 of 152
Quote:

Originally posted by Nattapong
I will check it out... 5 CDs.. um... it could be a little too long for solo piano .. :b

You'd be surprised. I had them on infinite repeat the other day.

6 CD's. The sixth is only about 20 minutes and contains the encores. Quote:

Do you like his other setup .. like trio or quartet???

Not as much. I've only listened to one or two (Standards and Live at the Deer Head Inn, I think). Quote:

I don't have too many of him.... only the Koln Concert ... and Belonging... Belonging is another great CD...

I've been trying to keep up with his solo piano work -- Paris Concert, Dark Intervals, La Scala, Koln Concert, Solo Concerts (Bremen, Luasanne), etc. Quote:

... what strange is .. you know what I like about Keith Jarrette is ..he hum... so moving....

Not sure I understand this. You like it when he vocalizes? He explained this once. (Paraphrasing) "Jazz is hard. I can't help it. I liken it to a tennis player, grunting when he hits the ball." Personally, I find it distracting, but not completely...

Mar 1, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #98 of 152
Well... it is just me.... some imperfection.. some distraction do draw me into music. I felt that I am listen to someone play rather than some mechanical machine play for me. Though it wasn't necessarry part of music, it is just wasn't a distraction for me. I also like humming while listening. My foot tapping is generally loud too, I tap on something rather than just flicking big toes.

But I can see why people seem to hate that ... Keith did do it so much .. same as Glen Gloud ... lucky me they are good and I can enjoy them like that.

Mar 1, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #100 of 152
Quote:

Originally posted by secretagent44
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

There's nothing quite like it (except maybe At San Quentin
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Heh, heh, heh.

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #101 of 152
Grateful Dead-Reckoning

Simon and Garfunkel-Central Park

DMB-Luther College

Hendrix-Monterey

Grateful Dead-One From The Vault

Neil Young-Live Rust

Derrick And The Dominos-Fillmore

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #103 of 152
Phish - New Year's Eve 95' ....First album off JEMP records, great quality...regarded as the best live Phish show and one of the best live concerts of the 90's

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #104 of 152
Alabama Ass Whoopin by Drive By Truckers
Lift by Chris Potter..
Shut Up And Die Like An Aviator by Steve Earle

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #105 of 152
Thom Yorke acoustic set at the Bridge School Benefit. Paranoid Android acoustic is just beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back