What's your favorite headphone? If you could only have one.
Dec 24, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #31 of 133
HE6SE with a speaker power amp and tube pre.

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #32 of 133
Tough call but I’d have to go with my MDR-Z1R’s

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #34 of 133
Of everything I've heard/owned? Campfire Andromeda. Amazing sound, I can sleep with them in, I can listen to them anywhere, they're amazingly easy to drive (too easy... thus all the 3rd-party resistor cables), and as I live and die for details and separation, they kick that in the butt with a steel-toed boot.

EDIT: Bugger this is the full-size headphones forum. Of my over-ears, I'll pick my E-MU Teaks.

Hey, I am quite interested in EMU Teaks. Which amp are you using for these and any comment on the sound stage, imaging etc?
There is not much information out there on these but I have heard only good things so far, trouble is these are to be ordered in from Singapore so no way to try beforehand.
I can’t stand claustrophobic soundstage like HD6xx but I hear this is good for a closed back. Thanks

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #35 of 133
Hey, I am quite interested in EMU Teaks. Which amp are you using for these and any comment on the sound stage, imaging etc?
There is not much information out there on these but I have heard only good things so far, trouble is these are to be ordered in from Singapore so no way to try beforehand.
I can’t stand claustrophobic soundstage like HD6xx but I hear this is good for a closed back. Thanks
I love mine, they're really fantastic headphones. I've swapped out the teak cups for rosewood ones, which I feel gives them a touch more of a refined feel, but just plain stock they're great. For closed-back cans, the soundstage is very good, and I find the separation and clarity to be excellent.

If you've ever heard any of the Drop/Fostex variants (TH-X00, TR-X00) they're very, very similar in performance, unsurprisingly, but I find the E-MUs have a clearer overall sound vs. their cousins.

I drive them typically with a Monoprice THX 887 or a Schiit Asgard, and typically listen to classic rock, alt-rock and nerd rock. I've also swapped the stock pads (which are nice sounding but lots of people don't like how they feel) for a set of ZMF Eikon pads, which are fantastic.

They're insanely easy to drive, BTW, and very forgiving for cans with good details. I can recommend them wholeheartedly. Although I'll probably end up selling mine reasonably soon since I bought a ZMF Verite Closed Stabilized for Xmas.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #36 of 133
If I had to have only one headphone and my overall favorite headphone it would have to be my modified Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 Ohm which I’ve owned for a few years now and spent a lot of time modifying. After owning numerous headphones this one stands out as the best sounding headphone I’ve owned, basically everything else sounds rough, lacking body and detail, has poorer imaging, and inferior dynamics compared to it and the vocals are spine-tingling. Nothing else I’ve owned has the same sense of realism, tactility, and clarity. It’s also durable, I’m not afraid of damaging or scuffing it, its easy to drive, scales like crazy with gear, comfortable, and it’s closed. Only real drawbacks is it’s kinda ugly and heavy and the stock tuning leaves a lot to be desired but it’s drivers are a real gem and will reward modding and system upgrades to a degree I haven’t seen in other headphones.

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #42 of 133
HD6XX (but I'd probably smuggle my HD600's under my jacket just because). I can never decide which I like better. It truly depends on the genre/song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back