What's your BMI (Body Mass Index) Poll
Mar 21, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #31 of 49
blink.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #35 of 49
18.5. Lots of head-fiers are underweight according to this stupid index.

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #38 of 49
Just checked the Merk Manual, here's what it says, which is not really far from some observations in this thread:

Quote:

Medically, a distinction is made between being overweight and being obese. The body mass index (BMI) is used to define these conditions. (...) Overweight is defined as a BMI of 25 to 29.9, and obesity is defined as a BMI of 30 or more. Body composition -the percentage of fat and muscle in the body- is also considered when obesity is defined. Women who have more than 30% body fat or men who have more than 25% body fat are considered obese. Thus, people who are very muscular and have low body fat (such as body builders) may have high BMI without being obese and without increasing health risks.

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #39 of 49
23.7 - and I rounded up for my weight.

But yeah this is useless, I am probably in the worst shape of anybody on head-fi.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #41 of 49
I too think it's not that accurate, hence my not worrying much about the 26-ish figure I get.

1. Resting heart rate in 50's to low 60's. Now that the weather is nice and I'm cycling more often it'll prob be solidly in the 50's soon enough.

2. I have a ~33" waist, and even if I cinch my belt there's not really anywhere for it to go. Even if I got really thin I think my build would limit me at 31-32".

3. I'm definitely not a 6-pack, but I couldn't imagine anyone thinking I was fat.

4. I have a thicker build, half Caucasian half Filipino, so I kinda have big thighs, hips, and a fat booty compared to most men my height. And I cycle which sort of emphasizes those areas further...

I always joke that if I were a girl you'd find me in hip-hop videos or something
smily_headphones1.gif
I definitely can't pull off that thin UK/Japanese indie rocker style with my body!

--Illah

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #45 of 49
23.5 for my BMI, but I don't find it too useful of a test in most cases. As I started training more for track I started tracking my body fat and weight daily.

Last year in full training I was 175 lbs and 8% body fat, now I am about 165 and 8-9% body fat after not having gone to the gym seriously in quite some time.

The best thing I found was to get an electronic body fat tester, they also give you your BMI. But this way if you are trying to lose weight, you can see how much fat you are losing, only about 50$ so well worth the investment I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back