What's your BMI (Body Mass Index) Poll
Mar 20, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #16 of 49

Though I still don't buy into anything under 19 as being "underweight". Though I am trying to not lose any weight, it's only because I'm running a marathon in July and figure I need all the extra fuel reserves I can have.

By the way - fantastic thread!

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #17 of 49
23.5. as long as i don't have breasts i'm fine... i might add some muscle building exercises to my routine in the summer, though. normally i get really fit in the summer and then during the school year i gain a good 10 pounds, but i might have to change that, because my metabolism isn't really the best. i have a large frame, too, so my body fat is pretty well distributed.

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #19 of 49
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BMI calculations are useless. they don't take into account the kind of shape you are in.

I agree. Especially since that is exactly my situation.

If you are in good shape and fall into a higher range, you are still better of than being in the ideal range yet out of shape.

I'm at 25.5 because of my muscle mass. I'm no Arnold, but I've been working out for the last 6-years and have added some muscle, so I'm a bit heavy for my height. I am definitely not overweight.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BMI calculations are useless. they don't take into account the kind of shape you are in.

Here, Here!

My BMI is 25.2 which means I'm overweight. I've been losing weight and building some muscle over the past several months. I weigh about 150 but have been told I look like I'm 130. Several people have commented that I've lost too much weight. I'm 5'4", my waist size is 31 but I probably would have no problem squeezing into a 30.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #25 of 49
I think if you are athletic or have just <15% body fat, and/or exercise a lot, indeed you shouldn't worry much about your BMI being in the nominal "overweight" region, especially if it falls among the lowest numbers of that region. Possibly the highest usability of the BMI is when applied to people under a less than ideal physical activity regime. The BMI in those conditions might give a rough idea of whether the person is getting into a less than ideal weight, and should increase exercise/physical activity and/or adopt healthier eating habits. At least that's how I interpreted it together with the doctor's recommendations.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's genetics. IMO BMI calculations are near useless, except for serious cases, which should be obvious without the calculations anyway.

I would agree. My senior year of highschool I was 6'2" and ~230lbs, which would put me at 29.5 (.5 points away from obese) on the BMI. My body fat percentage at that time was 16%. We had a very expensive body fat scale in our wrestling room that was used to make sure no one went under the safe limit. Anyhow, 16% is far from obese, AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back