What's your BMI (Body Mass Index) Poll
Mar 20, 2007 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

rsaavedra

Headphoneus Supremus
BMI stands for "Body Mass Index".

You can use this BMI Calculator to compute your BMI. There are several websites that compute your BMI. Here's another BMI calculator with options to indicate "standard" or metric units.

Recently, after a visit to my doctor and some blood tests, I discovered that not only I have slightly high cholesterol, my BMI index was 25.2, slightly above the recommended range. This was probably due to the fact that I had a discal protrusion about a year ago, and have done very little exercise since, only a bit of yoga once in a while.

That was three weeks ago. Right from that day on, and after my doctor's recommendation, I have been religiously running at least 15 minutes every day, and have been eating much healthier food. Especially at night I'm now having only light yogurts, fruits, and vegetables. This simple approach allowed me to lose 3.2 Kilograms (7 pounds) in these three weeks. So now my BMI is 24.6, and will keep exercising and eating well to bring it further down.

The cholesterol levels I'll have to measure again in two months, and we'll see whether it stays under control with healthier eating habits, or whether I'll need some cholesterol-related medication.

How about your BMI? Are you within the recommended range, and/or if not, have you set yourself to get within the normal range and stay there? Have you lost or gained weight recently?

PS. The idea of this poll is just to encourage people to be aware of their weight and aim for better health. Note that the poll is private, so you can indicate your BMI without any privacy concern.

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 49

Satisfactory

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 49
Im 6'1" weigh 198 pounds, BMI is 26.1
...but I also have a body fat percentage of 13%

Guess I should try to get it down to 12%
580smile.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian589 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but I also have a body fat percentage of 13%

Ah the percentage of body fat is also a very useful metric for health monitoring. But that one requires especial equipment to get (or some measuring procedures to get estimates). Some scales at pharmacy stores (at least that's where I've seen them) can give you estimates of your % of body fat.

[Edit]See post below for more info on recommended/healthy body fat percentages.[/edit]

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 49
Mines 24.6, but according to the calculator, I'm only 5 lbs above my ideal weight. We just bought an eliptical trainer, and I've been doing 20-30 minutes per day for the past week or so. I've dropped about 3 lbs so far, with little change other than just excercising and watching my bad fat intake.

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 49
Mine is around 19.8 but my body fat drops to around 6% during the summer months. This is the point at which friends and neighbours start commenting upon my weight.

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 49
26.2 here, which is close to accurate. I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds (I'm appx 5'9" / 5'10" and 180lbs).

But at the end of the riding season this fall my resting heart rate was in the 50's
biggrin.gif
Once I hit around 175-180 I just don't lose any more weight despite eating pretty well and commuting to work by bike 5 days a week (plus occasional extra rides).

I was that way in high school too, where I'd do BMX biking for 2 hours a day 3-6 days a week, and no matter what I never got under 165-170 (was a little shorter then, basically same effective BMI as I have now).

I feel quite healthy now, and I think for the most part losing the extra 10-15 pounds would be vanity weight more than anything. You don't need 10% body fat to be healthy.

--Illah

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 49
woooo! 18.2! And it's not going anywhere...I've been the same weight for the last couple of years regardless of eating style (from homecooked meals to university-style frozen crap) or exercising routine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back