Whats Wrong with Grado GS1000s
Oct 28, 2007 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Audioelec

New Head-Fier
Hi

I am a new boy to this site and have just obtained a second hand pair of the above headphones,

I must add without audition mainly based on web and mag reviews,

I have never used Headphones before but have decided to give them a try.

I have looked on the forums for Amplifiers to use but seem more confused than ever,even thinking did a choose the right headphones more
confused.gif

I Live in the uk but i will be prepared to purchase an amplifier from anywere as long as it works with the above headphones and i will be buying without audition.

The hifi i use at home consists of an Audiovalve pre amp and was thinking of useing there RKV amplifier but if there is a better amplifier out there to work with the above headphones please let me know?

I was also recommended to purchase a Rudistor RX33 would this be a better amp than the audiovalve,

My music tastes our varied and would consider valve or solid state amplifiers

Hope someone can help

regards

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 23
They are well-known to be somewhat finicky as to the amps with which they play well. Blackmore has stated he has been enjoying his thru an Aspen amp, which seems the same as an ASL MG HEAD OTL MKIII (but having different faceplate and transformer). This is a Chinese amp that is found here in the USA as cheap as $395. (you're advised to replace the standard Chinese and Russion tubes for better ones). I believe the most-common choice of 12AX7 for GS1000 'phones is Mullard. You might also think of trying Darkvoice 337. I know that one can be found on eBay. There is a one pretty "sexy" amp. That might do extremely well - but not aware of anyone trying it yet with GS1000.

I forgot - Blackmore has put his Aspen up for sale (he's in Rotterdam) you might PM him and see what he has to say.

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 23
While the Audiovalve RKV is a very nice amp (close to perfection with AKG K1000), I'm not quite sure it'll be a good match for the GS1000. Make sure to listen to the combo before spending any money.

If you really want to try the RKV, make sure to get the impedanzer. The RKV is optimized for high impedance headphones and would have some troubles driving properly Grado's without impedance correction.

Oct 28, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 23
How about an Earmax Pro? That's what I use (with good tubes) and it sounds sublime.

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 23
be carefull with the earmax amps i heard it runs out of steam on the gs1000.

buddy i had the same issue with my gs1000. In a way i still do. i brought them reading a lot of reviews on the net saying that they were the best cans out there. when i found out about this place the views were mixed.

try and get your self a single power amp if you can. im using a graham slee solo 2008. which is good but not the best i think you can get from these cans.

good luck

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are well-known to be somewhat finicky as to the amps with which they play well. Blackmore has stated he has been enjoying his thru an Aspen amp, which seems the same as an ASL MG HEAD OTL MKIII (but having different faceplate and transformer). This is a Chinese amp that is found here in the USA as cheap as $395. (you're advised to replace the standard Chinese and Russion tubes for better ones). I believe the most-common choice of 12AX7 for GS1000 'phones is Mullard. You might also think of trying Darkvoice 337. I know that one can be found on eBay. There is a one pretty "sexy" amp. That might do extremely well - but not aware of anyone trying it yet with GS1000.

I forgot - Blackmore has put his Aspen up for sale (he's in Rotterdam) you might PM him and see what he has to say.

Wow keep recommending equipment you've never heard...

The Asl MG Head sounds absolutely dreadful with grados.

Biggie.

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 23
I took my GS1000's to a meet to amp shop and found that they sounded best to my ears (in my price range) with the RSA Raptor using some different tubes (I can't remember which ones but if you check my post in the meet impressions forum under the Nor Cal Regional you can find them).

Ray would know which ones were in there as well but I thought there was an excellent synergy between the two and I listend to a demo disc I made with several different types of music on it. The amp was also being fed by Ray's Meridian and I'm sure that helped
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 23
My Aspen isnt FS yet, but IC for now. Bit out of topic, but after receiving NAD C542 I starting to rediscover Aspen again. Source and RCA/IC making a huge difference.
If you still interesting in my amp, you have to make an offer, which is normal before actually sale starts.

And there is nothing wrong with GS1000, just find the right equipment to go with.

Good luck

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 23
I am not willing to argue about this, but Aspen can handle any phones, IMO. It is only if you like it or not. He needs, like any other one, the right source and IC to go with, thats it.
And I never have heard MG HEAD, so can not tell anything about it. But what I have read up here isnt that special.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow keep recommending equipment you've never heard...

The Asl MG Head sounds absolutely dreadful with grados.

Biggie.

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #15 of 23
Of the 4 reference headphones that I own and use regularly, the GS1K is the best by a significant margin. But as others are saying, a lot depends on your lineup. With every rig, the "sweet spot" is different. You have to find it via trial and error. The biggest mistake that critics make is to write it off after testing it on a single lineup. The GS1K is fussy. You either have it just the way it wants it or no cigar.

In my case, the sweet spot is computer as source > USB > Headroom Desktop (maxed out) > GS1K (w/ BD). The second best lineup, oddly enough, is computer as source > X-Fi Elite Pro soundcard > Little Dot II+ > GS1K. The soundcard has an excellent DAC, and the LDII+ delivers power that's rich and mellow. (I like this amp but hesitate to recommend it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back