What's with the pricing on sale/trade forums? We should monitor the prices.
Apr 3, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #16 of 70

Quote:
Why shouldn't they sell them at their market price? It's not like they can go out and buy them again themselves for any less than that after they are sold.

The general idea is that HeadFi is a community of enthusiasts, not a place to make a profit.  Giving others here a "good deal" on things you no longer want in your collection is encouraged.  If the idea of selling something is to profit from the sale, there are plenty of other places to do that, such as EBay and Audiogon.

Also, there are no fees for selling here.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #17 of 70

Quote:
The general idea is that HeadFi is a community of enthusiasts, not a place to make a profit.  Giving others here a "good deal" on things you no longer want in your collection is encouraged.  If the idea of selling something is to profit from the sale, there are plenty of other places to do that, such as EBay and Audiogon.

Also, there are no fees for selling here.

The scenario I described is not going out to make a profit - it is selling something at its market place.

If someone bought a Grado HP-1000 or an AKG K1000 or a Stax SR-Sigma or a Fostex T50v1 when it was released they are absolutely not required to sell it for the price they bought it. If they had bought them recently, at their collectors item price, yes, it would be against policy to sell them for more than they bought them for but that is a completely different ethical situation.

Nobody here has argued that it is OK to sell things for more than you bought them in recent history I am just pointing out when there are reasonable exceptions to that rule.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #18 of 70

Quote:

The scenario I described is not going out to make a profit - it is selling something at its market place.

If someone bought a Grado HP-1000 or an AKG K1000 or a Stax SR-Sigma or a Fostex T50v1 when it was released they are absolutely not required to sell it for the price they bought it. If they had bought them recently, at their collectors item price, yes, it would be against policy to sell them for more than they bought them for but that is a completely different ethical situation.

Nobody here has argued that it is OK to sell things for more than you bought them in recent history I am just pointing out when there are reasonable exceptions to that rule.

I'm in agreement that we should let the market prevail in this scenario.  People will pay what they think is a realistic amount -- or, what the item may mean to them.  If one feels that there are items priced too high, then those items may also be perceived the same way by other members and the item may sit until the asking price is adjusted accordingly.

On the other hand, items that are priced very realistic, don't stay around for long.  Being that this site is accessed by many members world-wide, there's a good chance that the bargains can come and go as we're asleep.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #20 of 70
I guess I was getting a little frustrated with the last few transactions... A lot of people are either huge low-ballers or have absolutely no idea how much their stuff is worth.

where I was trying to get at was that since everybody do have resources and computers, we should try to encourage people to price their cans relatively fair compared to eBay or amazon, at least on Head-fi.  Not only this will prevent novice head-fier from getting ripped off, the classifieds won't be crowded with crappy deals and we would ALL be able to get much better sales/trade deals compared to now.  

I think it is in all of our interest to keep the prices fair to the market value.  I mean, it should be pretty obvious to you that the purpose of the classified sections is for people to browse and upgrade their gear, mainly by trading or selling for LESS THAN how much they spent.  

TL;DR I respect your right to set your own prices, but I will not respect your prices unless it's fair.  After all this will benefit all of us in the long-term, and I will continue to sell/trade my gears for LESS THAN how much I spent on them, because it's only fair.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #21 of 70
Any product's value is exactly what someone decides to pay for it.  The market moderates itself, plain and simple.  I didn't realize that HF was supposed to be a charitable organization.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #22 of 70

This.

For some reason, alot of Head-Fi'ers feel ENTITLED to the "SALE PRICE" even though they missed the deal.

Missed the TF10 for $100? Too damn bad, don't go into the FS forum expecting it for that price and crying about it when others charge more.

Sorry if I'm being harsh, but...seriously.

Any product's value is exactly what someone decides to pay for it.  The market moderates itself, plain and simple.  I didn't realize that HF was supposed to be a charitable organization.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #23 of 70

Quote:
where I was trying to get at was that since everybody do have resources and computers, we should try to encourage people to price their cans relatively fair compared to eBay or amazon, at least on Head-fi.  Not only this will prevent novice head-fier from getting ripped off, the classifieds won't be crowded with crappy deals and we would ALL be able to get much better sales/trade deals compared to now.  

I think a lot of valid points have been raised in this thread by boths sides, or differing opinions.  Though, I'm not sure that eBay is always the best gauge.  While I do buy stuff off of eBay, I do it with much caution and after careful research.  There can be many bargains out there, but also many overpriced offerings, too.  As a seller, I try to avoid eBay as much as possible, because their fees (about 10%, or so) can be a bit rough to handle on some items that one sells.

Plus, I've recently learned that eBay will ensure that a vendor or seller will get an automatic 5-star rating if they've offered their item for sale with free shipping.  We all know, in life, nothing is really free.   Someone, somewhere pays for the free items.  I guess I'm just a bit puzzled that a vendor could be getting a great feedback rating just because they've jacked their prices up, but offer free shipping.

Sorry to have dirverted this thread to an eBay thread, but felt I should share my thoughts on using them as a price gauge mechanism.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #24 of 70
Jacking up prices but offering free shipping would only hurt the seller as ebay would take 10% of the extra money you have gained.

Quote:
I think a lot of valid points have been raised in this thread by boths sides, or differing opinions.  Though, I'm not sure that eBay is always the best gauge.  While I do buy stuff off of eBay, I do it with much caution and after careful research.  There can be many bargains out there, but also many overpriced offerings, too.  As a seller, I try to avoid eBay as much as possible, because their fees (about 10%, or so) can be a bit rough to handle on some items that one sells.

Plus, I've recently learned that eBay will ensure that a vendor or seller will get an automatic 5-star rating if they've offered their item for sale with free shipping.  We all know, in life, nothing is really free.   Someone, somewhere pays for the free items.  I guess I'm just a bit puzzled that a vendor could be getting a great feedback rating just because they've jacked their prices up, but offer free shipping.

Sorry to have dirverted this thread to an eBay thread, but felt I should share my thoughts on using them as a price gauge mechanism.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #25 of 70

Quote:

This.

For some reason, alot of Head-Fi'ers feel ENTITLED to the "SALE PRICE" even though they missed the deal.

Missed the TF10 for $100? Too damn bad, don't go into the FS forum expecting it for that price and crying about it when others charge more.

This is directly what the "flipping for profit" rule is supposed to prevent though: buying them at a fire sale or from a member who has priced them too low, and then immediately selling them for a profit.

Personally, if I bought them for $99 and wanted to sell them off here, I'd price them at $99.  That's the same with my old orthos.  I have old Yamaha orthos I paid $39 for, and if I sold them here, that's what they'd be priced at.

I realize that others don't agree with this perspective, but I can feel good about being more generous than they are.
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #26 of 70
I've gotten some good deals via the FS/FT forum, however I do have to laugh at the way some people price their used gear.  It really gives some insight into how different people value a dollar. Bottom line is just don't buy it if you don't like the price.

My favorite are the listings for 2+ year old used gear that's like the same price as brand new stuff (or like 10 bucks cheaper).  Makes me wonder who's interested in buying that....but to each their own I suppose.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #27 of 70
The five star rating only applies to the shipping part of the feedback. The item description and communication don't get any automatic rating regardless of free shipping or not.

Quote:

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #28 of 70
ebay now charges fees for shipping cost as well. 

Quote:
Jacking up prices but offering free shipping would only hurt the seller as ebay would take 10% of the extra money you have gained.

Quote:

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #29 of 70
I have a question for you guys.

I recently had a bad experience with a dealer. He gave me a big courtesy coupon as compensation for my time and frustration. Using that coupon, I got a brand new HD25-II for $70. HD25-II are definitely keeper for me, and this dealer is an authorized sennheiser dealer. But if I were to put it up for sale on head-fi, say, after 30 hour use. how much should I ask?

Note: This is just a question to gather some thoughts. I am not selling HD25 in any way, so don't contact me for sale.

Quote:
Quote:

This.

This is directly what the "flipping for profit" rule is supposed to prevent though: buying them at a fire sale or from a member who has priced them too low, and then immediately selling them for a profit.

Personally, if I bought them for $99 and wanted to sell them off here, I'd price them at $99.  That's the same with my old orthos.  I have old Yamaha orthos I paid $39 for, and if I sold them here, that's what they'd be priced at.

I realize that others don't agree with this perspective, but I can feel good about being more generous than they are.
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #30 of 70
I would put them up at market price, or slightly lower if you want to get rid of it faster. Then again, my opinion differs from alot of users because they pretty much EXPECT a good deal just because they are on Head-Fi.

Quote:
I have a question for you guys.

I recently had a bad experience with a dealer. He gave me a big courtesy coupon as compensation for my time and frustration. Using that coupon, I got a brand new HD25-II for $70. HD25-II are definitely keeper for me, and this dealer is an authorized sennheiser dealer. But if I were to put it up for sale on head-fi, say, after 30 hour use. how much should I ask?

Note: This is just a question to gather some thoughts. I am not selling HD25 in any way, so don't contact me for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back