What's with the pricing on sale/trade forums? We should monitor the prices.
Apr 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #47 of 70
Flipping is rightly frowned upon here and such listings generally stand out. In those instances, a polite PM to the seller or to a mod isn't out of line imo. Policing and interfering with genuine listings is bad form though, especially if you have no intent to buy and negotiate with the seller in the first place. Head-Fi is a global community. Prices vary in different regions and what may seem unreasonable to you in your corner of the world may be an absolute steal for someone else.

Frankly, the sense of entitlement borders on the offensive. I work hard and save up for the gear I buy. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to merely give away the components I chose to sell and recouping some prior expense is prime motivation. Fairness runs both ways and is something usually arrived at when interested parties communicate and negotiate terms both agree on. If that can't be reached, move on. Simple.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #48 of 70

Quote:
Can we end this?  What your asking is not against the rules.  It's flipping and selling for profit.  No where in the rules does it say I can't make a profit on used items.  I just can't buy an item on here or elsewhere and immediately resell it for profit.  A mod can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I decide to sell my W3000ANV for $3000 once they sell out, that is perfectly legit.  You may not like it, and that is fine, but as far as I read, it is in no way shape or form against the rules to do what I described.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/139393/commercial-sales-not-allowed

We might be able to end it if the "full rules" link within your link worked.  At least for the moment it is broken.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #49 of 70

Quote:
Frankly, the sense of entitlement borders on the offensive.

Yeah it does.  People think they're entitled to flip for a profit on a free forum without paying listing fees.  The gall of some people.
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #51 of 70

Quote:
If anything needs monitoring or policing, the mods and admins need to do it. Otherwise, I think the place will degenerate quickly.

Fair enough--and any forum member can use the little red flag on the left bottom of each post to alert them of a possible problem.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #54 of 70

Quote:
^ Smilies don't exempt you from my wrath. What are you on about?

You seem to be upset about entitlement.  So I dealt with it with sarcasm.  What are you on about?

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #55 of 70
You took a statement out of context and used it to beat the dead horse. No one here is condoning flipping for profit. The OP talks of fairness but fails to address both sides. That's what I'm on about.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #56 of 70

Quote:
You took a statement out of context and used it to beat the dead horse. No one here is condoning flipping for profit. The OP talks of fairness but fails to address both sides. That's what I'm on about.

There are direct examples in this thread of people thinking they are entitled to flip for profit, namely the ones about the $99 Triple Fi's and the ones about it being OK to mark up something that was just purchased.  Therefore, there seems to be just as much sense of entitlement that direction as the other direction.

As an aside, I will practice what I preach.  Like I said, if I sell anything here, it will be for what I paid for it or less.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #57 of 70

Quote:
Quote:

There are direct examples in this thread of people thinking they are entitled to flip for profit, namely the ones about the $99 Triple Fi's and the ones about it being OK to mark up something that was just purchased.  Therefore, there seems to be just as much sense of entitlement that direction as the other direction.

As an aside, I will practice what I preach.  Like I said, if I sell anything here, it will be for what I paid for it or less.

Well, you're not special in that sense. Most adhere to that practice and focusing on the rare instances flipping actually occurs paints an inaccurate picture of how the FS forums really are.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #58 of 70

Quote:
Well, you're not special in that sense. Most adhere to that practice and focusing on the rare instances flipping actually occurs paints an inaccurate picture of how the FS forums really are.

I am special, just like everybody else.
deadhorse.gif

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #59 of 70

Quote:

It seems like you've taken some things out of context as well.   I never said you should practically "give away" your hard-earned gears, but make the price fair to the current market price.  And I'm suggesting that we should openly debate about prices on the classified thread, which I think is a pretty good trend to start, at least for the buyers.  

I see people all the time saying "oh this is a really good price.  It'll be gone really quickly!", but why not the opposite?  If there is a guy selling used Pro 900 for $320, you should be able to post that the new Pro 900 goes for $305-320 on eBay or Amazon.  Not only this will make people more aware of the change in market value, it will encourage people to start pricing things fairly.  Also it will be much easier and cheaper to buy gears.  

It's obvious that Head-Fi is mainly a place to help you make an educated purchase.  So why not try to educate people on classified threads?

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #60 of 70
Well it seems you've not read the perfectly reasoned responses to your question. And if you have, you've failed to understand what they've tried to convey. In any case, this thread (while well intentioned) isn't doing you and your outlook any favours. There's etiquette that many follow and most of it is done via PM when interested parties communicate and negotiate agreeable terms. Running around and policing listings is an absurd notion. It tilts everything in favour of that person, without regard for factors that have influenced the price set by the seller. For you or any one else to interject and suggest the asking price is out of line without considering all factors is obnoxious and disruptive. The FS section could not operate in this manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back