Whats with my dt990's sounding bad?
Apr 20, 2011 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shimbibby

New Head-Fier
Hey! 
I bought a pair of Beyer DT990 32 Ohm headphones a few weeks ago based on some recommendations from this forum. I'm really happy with them, and they sound great when connected to my mixamp playing xbox or ps3 games.
The problem comes when I am listening to music off my macbook pro. I connect the headphones straight to the 3.5mm jack and at higher volumes, everything just sounds distorted and fuzzy.
The music I'm listening to is relatively HQ rips; 320kbps. I tried some LAME as well, but it still seems to happen a little bit.

Does anyone know what I could do to not experience this anymore and really enjoy my headphones while listening to music?

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Hey! 
I bought a pair of Beyer DT990 32 Ohm headphones a few weeks ago based on some recommendations from this forum. I'm really happy with them, and they sound great when connected to my mixamp playing xbox or ps3 games.
The problem comes when I am listening to music off my macbook pro. I connect the headphones straight to the 3.5mm jack and at higher volumes, everything just sounds distorted and fuzzy.
The music I'm listening to is relatively HQ rips; 320kbps. I tried some LAME as well, but it still seems to happen a little bit.

Does anyone know what I could do to not experience this anymore and really enjoy my headphones while listening to music?

do you have power specs for the Mac audio out?

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 7
Having owned a 32ohm Beyer, I in all sincerety believe they just do NOT perform up to snuff out of a headphone out. I truly believe these babies want an amp almost as much as the higher impedance Beyers.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 7
I have no idea what the power out specs would be for my macbook, Apple doesnt list it.

Hey MadLustEnvy, it was your thread that convinced me to go with the 990's, thanks for the great info!
If an amp is necessary even for the 32 ohms, would a fiio e7 fit the bill? Do you have any other recommendations?

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 7
I thought they sounded great off the E7. Since I assume you don't have a DAC for your computer, you'd kill two birds with one stone. If you do have a DAC or don't listen through your PC/MAC, perhaps the upcmoning E11 (which is is gonna be noticably better as a portable amp, for around $65).

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks! I guess I'll look into spending more money :frowning2: . I was hoping that by getting the 32 ohm's my current setup would suffice - I guess not lol! Hopefully the E7 solved those "fuzzy" songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back