What's the general consensus on the K550?
Jul 15, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:
Code:
Code:
I would dscribe them like being on an all night bender and coming home to a screaming PMT wife.
Bright, in your face, god aweful headphones...
Caveat Emptor

General consensus being, that people have a strange need to be absolute about everything 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:
Code:
Code:
I would dscribe them like being on an all night bender and coming home to a screaming PMT wife.
Bright, in your face, god aweful headphones...
Caveat Emptor

Ouch!
Here's to hoping I don't find them that way. 
beerchug.gif

I bought them from Headroom ($270 shipped) so I'll have a few weeks to see how well they fit into my office environment.  If they work, I'll reterminate the cables into something much shorter, like the M80 cable length.

While on the subject of V-Moda...Mucho Kudos for their cable design!  I absolutely love it that you can use any ordinary 1/8" plug cabling with them.  I wish more headphone manufactuers would do something similar.

I was seriously considering getting the M100s when they come out (and in all fairness, I still might) but following the thread on the portable forum became quite nauseating and really turned me off from anything V-Moda (except my M80s, of course).  So that's when I started looking around for something else and came across the K550's. 

I generally don't look forward to Mondays, but the 550s are supposed to arrive at the office tomorrow, so as of now, I do look forward to Mondays!

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #18 of 32
well, the basic rule is simple:
Chances are, if regular Grados don't give you headaches and you have non small or even a wide face, you'll like 'em.

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 32
Can't go wrong with Grados and a big, wide face, I always say. 

The only Grado I've had, and didn't like, were the el cheapo portables they had out at one point...SR40's, was it?  I've had the 60's, 225's, RS-1's, RS-1i's, HF-2's, and the GS1K's.  All of which I rather enjoyed.

And a big, wide face I've got.

So I'm thinkin' I should be good.

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #22 of 32
Just got them delivered a few hours ago, unboxed them and have been listening for a few hours on and off.  They feel and look to be very nice, quality cans.  They feel comfortable on my head with not too much or too little clamping force. 

As for the initial sound, I feel they are quite nice.  Very spacious sounding, clean crisp highs and a nice, tight bottom end.  The low frequencies don't really shine a light onto themselves, but do kick in when the music calls for them. 

I'm kind of surprised by the amount of headstage these things deliver.  It almost feels to be too much of a good thing.  But then, it's not.  It's pretty awesome!

I did a quick comparison to my other pair of cans I've got at the office (M80's) and realized that it's really not even a fair comparison.  The 550s are a great sounding full sized can while the 80's are actually portable cans.  The V-Modas sound Muh-Dy when compared to the AKGs.  But then, it's a trade off because I can't really see anyone wearing the 550s as a "portable" can, whereas the 80's most certainly are just that, and sound pretty darn good when looked at just in that way.

The sound easily goes to the 550's, but the wearability around the office, I think, will go to the 80's because I've already "felt" the 550s on my head as I move around doing my daily work stuff.  With the 80's, I hardly noticed them much at all, except when my ears became warm. 

So as of now, I'm not sure the 550s will stick around.  I'll give it a few weeks to see how they feel on my head during the course of a normal work day. 

For the folks expecting theirs in the mail, please do post your opinion of these things.

Cheers.

Edit: Just wanted to add that these cans seem to leak almost no sound if the music is played at moderate volumes.  A friend at work wanted to give them a listen and while the cans were on his head, I could hear absolutely zero sound coming from the cans.  And he couldn't hear a word I was saying even though I was speaking rather loudly to him. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #24 of 32
clinical, analytical, distant sound, very good for electronic music, audio engineering, but for relaxing, and enjoying, not quite, kinda like closed k701 but with more bass presence and a little more balanced 

also some fit problems, cable not detachable although easily moddable

all in all good headphones, definitely good choice in the 200$ price range, EU has them for 200 euros

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #25 of 32
I have one of the skinny faces that can't get a proper seal without me pushing the k550 against my ears. I've never had an issue with fit before with other headphones. The lack of clamping force not only makes these headphones slide around on my head, but every aspect of the sound deteriorates. It's almost like listening to headphones that are not completely plugged in- no body to the sound, just grainy treble. Of course, the sound filled out when I used my hands to press the headphones against my ears, but this is obviously not a convenient solution. It's a shame that I could never really evaluate how these are supposed to sound.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:
I have one of the skinny faces that can't get a proper seal without me pushing the k550 against my ears. I've never had an issue with fit before with other headphones. The lack of clamping force not only makes these headphones slide around on my head, but every aspect of the sound deteriorates. It's almost like listening to headphones that are not completely plugged in- no body to the sound, just grainy treble. Of course, the sound filled out when I used my hands to press the headphones against my ears, but this is obviously not a convenient solution. It's a shame that I could never really evaluate how these are supposed to sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613707/the-akg-k550-appreciation-discussion-thread

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #27 of 32
Aug 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Good thing I listen to music and don't stare at it in chart form.

You actually listen to music. What the hell are you doing on Head-Fi?

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #30 of 32
This is the last headphone to have a general consensus... Nobody ever seems to agree on anything about it.

If the prices really do start dropping like a rock like some are claiming then count me in. They look cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back