What's the general consensus on the K550?
Jul 13, 2012 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
I probably should have done this before I placed my order, but what the heck, thought I'd ask anyways.

What little research I did here (and elsewhere) seems to put these cans somewhat all over the map; some good, some mehs and some worse. 

I recently picked up the M80's and became curious about other cans that might be considered "portable" and how they might stack up.  Specifically, I was interested in something closed, easily driven (sans amp) with decent sound and cables that don't get in the way.  So I'm thinking these might fit the bill. 

They should arrive on Monday, and I can't wait.  The excitement of the new purchase arriving never gets old, does it?

Would appreciate any input you might have .

Thanks.

'Dwebe

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:
I probably should have done this before I placed my order, but what the heck, thought I'd ask anyways.
What little research I did here (and elsewhere) seems to put these cans somewhat all over the map; some good, some mehs and some worse. 
I recently picked up the M80's and became curious about other cans that might be considered "portable" and how they might stack up.  Specifically, I was interested in something closed, easily driven (sans amp) with decent sound and cables that don't get in the way.  So I'm thinking these might fit the bill. 
They should arrive on Monday, and I can't wait.  The excitement of the new purchase arriving never gets old, does it?
Would appreciate any input you might have .

As they are easy to drive (25-Ohm), they really do not need much of an amplifier.
But I would think the Better DAC you use, the better the sound.

I've seen my Audio Technica ATH-A900X compared to the AKG K550, and I would say the K550 was favored over 50% of the time.

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 32
In my opinion, the K550 should never have been labeled a "portable" headphone. It's pretty big and has very little clamping force. As a result, some people with smaller heads have had proper sealing issues, which decreased their perceived bass. In addition, the cable is quite long.

I think that the K550 is a fantastic headphone for use at home. Wide soundstage, great clarity,  and it's pretty revealing of recordings. I don't have a large head (or at least I don't think I do?), but I've never had a problem with "lack of bass". In fact, I think these headphones do a good job of only putting bass in when the recording actually calls for it as opposed to just making every song thump along gleefully. Plus, it's super easy to drive. In saying this, it's not a headphone for everyone. If you don't mind brighter headphones like Grados, the K550 will fight nicely in your collection.

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 32
Had the K550s for 4 months and just recently sold it on head-fi. The general consensus is favourable, although there are some who find them unimpressive at the $300 pricetag.

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 32
Thanks, guys.

My plan is to just use them at in an office environment.  I've had full-sized cans before, with a headamp, but I'm constantly up and down from my desk and I seriously got tired of taking the cans on/off.  I then went to a speaker-based system.

I've never tried any of the "portable" cans before (M80s being the first), and although they get a bit warm occasionally, the ability to get up/walk/etc without the need to constantly disconnect is a big plus.  I know the 550s' are much larger, much like a full-sized can for home use, but I'm hoping they'll work out okay for me.  The sound signature appears to be similar to my preferences.

cheers.

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:
Had the K550s for 4 months and just recently sold it on head-fi. The general consensus is favourable, although there are some who find them unimpressive at the $300 pricetag.

In Europe, the K550 can sell new for as low as $198.

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:
In Europe, the K550 can sell new for as low as $198.

And we still tend to find them unimpressive at the $198 pricetag.

why? well, because they are...

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:
And we still tend to find them unimpressive at the $198 pricetag.

why? well, because they are... 

Good thing I listen to music and don't stare at it in chart form.

They have pretty weak clamping force but the headband can be bent to improve that some. (Which I recommend doing) I don't consider them portable because they have a fairly thick non-detachable cable that is like 9ft long. For office use I don't think you can find a better sealed can in their price range.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 32
I've been very pleased with mine thus far; though I've only had them a few days.  I find the clamping force to be about perfect but it all depends on the size of your melon,,,

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Good thing I listen to music and don't stare at it in chart form.

They have pretty weak clamping force but the headband can be bent to improve that some. (Which I recommend doing) I don't consider them portable because they have a fairly thick non-detachable cable that is like 9ft long. For office use I don't think you can find a better sealed can in their price range.

Best post ever about this headphone and headphones in general.

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:
I've been very pleased with mine thus far; though I've only had them a few days.  I find the clamping force to be about perfect but it all depends on the size of your melon,,,

Clamping force is an issue with them, it should be more strong. 

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

And also very fundamental. While graphs do give a good view on characteristics, the placebo works both ways. Even stronger when people's voiced opinions have substantial back up. 

I'm not saying the K550 doesn't have the negative traits people say or have pointed out, just insinuating that they give those negative qualities too much value.

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #14 of 32

Quote:

ignorance is bliss, sadly it doesn't change anything at all.

Quote:

And also very fundamental. While graphs do give a good view on characteristics, the placebo works both ways. Even stronger when people's voiced opinions have substantial back up. 

I'm not saying the K550 doesn't have the negative traits people say or have pointed out, just insinuating that they give those negative qualities too much value.

on the other hand, THIS is a good post (about this headphone and headphones in general.)

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #15 of 32
Code:
I would dscribe them like being on an all night bender and coming home to a screaming PMT wife.

Bright, in your face, god aweful headphones...

Caveat Emptor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back