What's the Deal With Beats By Dre?
Jun 21, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #168 of 239
That's Life, Everyone has lost someone, I've lost a 4 month old son ( Despite being a MD ), You think that changes anything to do with the fact that Dr.Dre Makes a lot of money from Beats?, They are under performing and of bad sound quality and build, Not to mention my post has nothing to do with his Son, So why are you saying it is?, What you are insinuating to quoting me is he made a profit from his son's death (Which is VERY distasteful on your behalf) Because most people reading my post will actually realize the entire empire of the Beats brand now (Because people will Buy anything a celebrity tells them to), This is a headphone forum anything posted here is in relation to headphones, What you thought my post meaning was is a manifestation inside your own head and not it's intended meaning, Subliminal messages are generally in videos and not forum posts, So you can't blame me for that either, Your only option is to claim i'm using witchcraft.

Nat, 
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Not trying to be mean, but...considering the posts 2 above yours, it seems kinda...un-classy to diss him. 

But yes, I assume he's getting a nice chunk of change for each kid the media converts.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #169 of 239

Quote:
That's Life, Everyone has lost someone, I've lost a 4 month old son ( Despite being a MD ), You think that changes anything to do with the fact that Dr.Dre Makes a lot of money from Beats?, They are under performing and of bad sound quality and build, Not to mention my post has nothing to do with his Son, So why are you saying it is?, What you are insinuating to quoting me is he made a profit from his son's death (Which is VERY distasteful on your behalf)

Where? I didn't mean for them to correlate.

Because most people reading my post will actually realize the entire empire of the Beats brand now (Because people will Buy anything a celebrity tells them to), This is a headphone forum anything posted here is in relation to headphones, What you thought my post meaning was is a manifestation inside your own head and not it's intended meaning, Subliminal messages are generally in videos and not forum posts, So you can't blame me for that either, Your only option is to claim i'm using witchcraft.

Nat, 
popcorn.gif

I'm not blaming you for anything?

...or it was me being overly sensitive to people who lost others since I just lost two friends, and one to suicide, but I digress. Sorry about that! Unstable thinking should be a reason to not post. Back to Beats!

I honestly thought the Beats Pros are something like an M60. And comparing them to Head-Fi favorites is rather unfair, since the stuff we like is made by companies that strive to create a sound either as close to real as possible, or a sound conforming with their house sound. One can certainly compare them to Ultrasones, but to compare them to something neutral is like comparing Mexican food and Japanese food. The Pros are a...decent headphone. It basically boosts mids, treble, and bass to create a fun sound that "fixes" boring music. It's a far cry from hi-fi, but I'd buy a pair if I had the cash, and a different pair of neutral headphones.

Oh, and the fakes are metal too. At least the early ones were. They might have found a way to make them out of plastic by now.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #170 of 239
I wouldn't say I hate Monster, Dr. Dre Beats, or any affiliated product.  The products are what they are.  Most opinions on the Beats headphones is that they are "overpriced for the quality you get", which I happen to agree with.  However you truly can't fault a company for capitalizing on the "sheepishness" of the people who purchase their products.  It's the responsibility of the purchaser to perform a little act known as "consumer research" to ensure that they are purchasing the item that suits them best.  If they fail to do so, then it is on them.  Those of us who take the time to research and test out things before we purchase, are already here and understand this principle.  As for the attitude the owners take, all you can classify it as is the "Ignorance is bliss" argument, or possibly vanity issues.  Peer pressure make the youthful generation go round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaful

That's Life, Everyone has lost someone, I've lost a 4 month old son ( Despite being a MD )

Sorry to hear that Natasha.  I cannot begin to imagine your loss.  You have my condolences.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #171 of 239

Quote:
I wouldn't say I hate Monster, Dr. Dre Beats, or any affiliated product.  The products are what they are.  Most opinions on the Beats headphones is that they are "overpriced for the quality you get", which I happen to agree with.  However you truly can't fault a company for capitalizing on the "sheepishness" of the people who purchase their products.  It's the responsibility of the purchaser to perform a little act known as "consumer research" to ensure that they are purchasing the item that suits them best.  If they fail to do so, then it is on them.  Those of us who take the time to research and test out things before we purchase, are already here and understand this principle.  As for the attitude the owners take, all you can classify it as is the "Ignorance is bliss" argument, or possibly vanity issues.  Peer pressure make the youthful generation go round.

Caveat emptor, I believe.

Just tried out the Beats Studio and Pro (very briefly) at a local store. The Studio clearly sounds more forward than the Pro, although the Pro appears to have better instrument separation--which is arguably less natural than when listening to instruments live. 

Both are surprisingly tinny. They made an acoustic guitar have more "twang" than should be the case. Both were also surprisingly not as bassy as one might expect for something marketed under a hip-hop producer's name--not that hip hop is all bass, but the genre definitely has a reputation for strong bass in its songs.

I guess they're not 100% awful sounding headphones. But I've definitely heard better for much less. Sorry to anyone who thinks they're worth the price tag; I respectfully disagree.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #172 of 239

Quote:

Caveat emptor, I believe.

Just tried out the Beats Studio and Pro (very briefly) at a local store. The Studio clearly sounds more forward than the Pro, although the Pro appears to have better instrument separation--which is arguably less natural than when listening to instruments live. 

Both are surprisingly tinny. They made an acoustic guitar have more "twang" than should be the case. Both were also surprisingly not as bassy as one might expect for something marketed under a hip-hop producer's name--not that hip hop is all bass, but the genre definitely has a reputation for strong bass in its songs.

I guess they're not 100% awful sounding headphones. But I've definitely heard better for much less. Sorry to anyone who thinks they're worth the price tag; I respectfully disagree.

everyone has their own opinions. i found the studio to sound atrocious but the pros just sounded very fun to me. and they were very easy to listen to. although i can't say to much as i only demoed them for 30 minutes.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #173 of 239
I agree that they are overpriced. But if I could get them for a significantly lower price, I would buy them (Pro version) in a heartbeat.

I'm getting annoyed with the amount of threads made just to flame Beats. I don't get it, they're always started by noobs (like this thread for example). I can't wrap my head around why they're started. There are a countless number of threads about Beats hate... Does the OP not know how to use the search function? Does it make them feel good to make a thread that they know will generate a crap ton of posts? I don't know... you tell me. I'm not trying to knock on this specific OP, just all of them in general that start a Beats flame war. Sometimes I log onto Head-Fi and see like three threads all about Beats on the first page. Why? If I were a mod I would delete all of them and make one central "Beats hate" thread. Better yet, make a new subforum for them
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #174 of 239

Quote:
I agree that they are overpriced. But if I could get them for a significantly lower price, I would buy them (Pro version) in a heartbeat.

I'm getting annoyed with the amount of threads made just to flame Beats. I don't get it, they're always started by noobs (like this thread for example). I can't wrap my head around why they're started. There are a countless number of threads about Beats hate... Does the OP not know how to use the search function? Does it make them feel good to make a thread that they know will generate a crap ton of posts? I don't know... you tell me. I'm not trying to knock on this specific OP, just all of them in general that start a Beats flame war. Sometimes I log onto Head-Fi and see like three threads all about Beats on the first page. Why? If I were a mod I would delete all of them and make one central "Beats hate" thread. Better yet, make a new subforum for them
tongue.gif

Haha, I couldn't agree more.  Which is why I made an initial statement that I did not hate them, merely that they were overpriced.  From my experience with them, yes I would purchase a pair if they were quite a bit lower in price.  I agree with bcasey25raptor that they are indeed a "fun" pair of cans.  It's just that value for price paid thing, that stops me.

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #177 of 239

Quote:

tongue.gif

It gives noobies the feeling like they're like the rest of the community. If they hate Beats, it makes them cool.
biggrin.gif

I know it isn't cool to discuss fakes here, but fake Pros are available for like $90. I don't necessarily recommend anyone buys them, and won't give a link to where they're for sale, but just to let people know they exist, and for a quarter of the price of a real one.

And natashaful, shoot I skimmed through the part where you said your son died. I'm really sorry about your loss...

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #178 of 239

Quote:

It gives noobies the feeling like they're like the rest of the community. If they hate Beats, it makes them cool.
biggrin.gif

I know it isn't cool to discuss fakes here, but fake Pros are available for like $90. I don't necessarily recommend anyone buys them, and won't give a link to where they're for sale, but just to let people know they exist, and for a quarter of the price of a real one.

Beats By Dre series are all about the looks pretty much, but sounds ok for only some types of music and i would probally purchase them if they were $100 and legit but i would never consider the Solos cause they are pieces of crap.

On the note on fake headphones, they are cheap knock offs that dont sound like their real counterparts and shouldnt be purchased under any circumstances. They'll never sound the same as the real deal.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #179 of 239

Quote:
Beats By Dre series are all about the looks pretty much, but sounds ok for only some types of music and i would probally purchase them if they were $100 and legit but i would never consider the Solos cause they are pieces of crap.

On the note on fake headphones, they are cheap knock offs that dont sound like their real counterparts and shouldnt be purchased under any circumstances. They'll never sound the same as the real deal.

Actually, some factories, as mentioned before, run the line a little longer, hide the costs, and sell the headphones (right?), which is likely the case here because the machinery to make the Pros is probably rather expensive, but I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back