What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Oct 24, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #841 of 1,260
It can be ordered through Mimic Audio(based outside the U.S.) or USA hifi (They're a canadian hifi distributor that ships to the U.S.).
Thank you @Tubewin, I've never heard of either site. I appreciate you sharing. I'm going to check both sites out.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #842 of 1,260
Thank you @Tubewin, I've never heard of either site. I appreciate you sharing. In going to check both sites out.
Of course, my pleasure. Hifi Collective is another option, they are based in the UK but they ship to the U.S.. Hifi Collective seems to be more competitively priced than usahifi for neotech cables. Just ordered a pair of neotech ethernet cables from hifi collective that would have cost $50.00 more if I ordered from usahifi.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #843 of 1,260
Of course, my pleasure. Hifi Collective is another option, they are based in the UK but they ship to the U.S.. Hifi Collective seems to be more competitively priced than usahifi for neotech cables. Just ordered a pair of neotech ethernet cables from hifi collective that would have cost $50.00 more if I ordered from usahifi.
All good to know.. The USB cables I tried definitely gave off the perception that the sound was warmer and a touch more expensive when I switched from the Audioquest Forest to the Oyaide Class A cable. I will pick up a Neotech for Science at some point!!

Oct 24, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #844 of 1,260
All good to know.. The USB cables I tried definitely gave off the perception that the sound was warmer and a touch more expensive when I switched from the Audioquest Forest to the Oyaide Class A cable. I will pick up a Neotech for Science at some point!!
I agree with TheR0v3r about the neotech 1020. Really good sounding cable and if I didn't have the copper neotech, I would have the silver 1020 in my system with no hesitation. Not thin or lean sounding like most other silver cables, has good tone and frequency balance. I think the copper 3020 adds a little bit more magic to the mid range (in my system) so I'm more partial to the copper one, but only slightly.

Oct 24, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #845 of 1,260
I agree with TheR0v3r about the neotech 1020. Really good sounding cable and if I didn't have the copper neotech, I would have the silver 1020 in my system with no hesitation. Not thin or lean sounding like most other silver cables, has good tone and frequency balance. I think the copper 3020 adds a little bit more magic to the mid range (in my system) so I'm more partial to the copper one, but only slightly.
I'll check both out at some point this year and follow up once I've had a chance to check for any differences in the sound presentation. I appreciate you @Tubewin & @TheR0v3r!!

Oct 26, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #848 of 1,260
I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this, but recently I've been having occasional issues with popping and digital noise in my setup. My setup is PC (motherboard USB hub) > Forza AudioWorks Copper Series Twin USB 2m cable > Schiit Modi Multibit 2 > FAW Claire 0.5m interconnects > Schiit Magni Piety > FAW Noir Hybrid cable > ZMF Atticus. I've noticed that if I'm experiencing noise I can sometimes get it to go away by positioning the USB cable differently (but keeping it in the same USB port). Also, sometimes when there's no noise I can make the popping noises happen by moving the USB cable around. Is this likely a grounding issue with the cable?

In a few weeks I'll be able to try my Oyaide Class B cable with my setup, but unfortunately I don't have it or any other USB data cable with me right now to test. If it is a cable issue, are there any other USB A to USB C cables in the ~$100 range I should be looking at? Would I be best off going back to my ugly green Oyaide Class B?

Oct 26, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #849 of 1,260
You
I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this, but recently I've been having occasional issues with popping and digital noise in my setup. My setup is PC (motherboard USB hub) > Forza AudioWorks Copper Series Twin USB 2m cable > Schiit Modi Multibit 2 > FAW Claire 0.5m interconnects > Schiit Magni Piety > FAW Noir Hybrid cable > ZMF Atticus. I've noticed that if I'm experiencing noise I can sometimes get it to go away by positioning the USB cable differently (but keeping it in the same USB port). Also, sometimes when there's no noise I can make the popping noises happen by moving the USB cable around. Is this likely a grounding issue with the cable?

In a few weeks I'll be able to try my Oyaide Class B cable with my setup, but unfortunately I don't have it or any other USB data cable with me right now to test. If it is a cable issue, are there any other USB A to USB C cables in the ~$100 range I should be looking at? Would I be best off going back to my ugly green Oyaide Class B?
PC's, as you may know, are very noisy. You can use a ddc(digital to digital converter) or anything that can galvanically isolate the usb from the computer. I use a jcat usb card in my motherboard and into the Holo may usb port (the May comes with a galvanically isolated usb port). You're going to need another box in between your motherboard and dac to mitigate the jitter, pops, etc. There are usb reclockers that start at a few hundred dollars that would probably reduce the pops and noise you're getting.

Oct 26, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #850 of 1,260
You

PC's, as you may know, are very noisy. You can use a ddc(digital to digital converter) or anything that can galvanically isolate the usb from the computer. I use a jcat usb card in my motherboard and into the Holo may usb port (the May comes with a galvanically isolated usb port). You're going to need another box in between your motherboard and dac to mitigate the jitter, pops, etc. There are usb reclockers that start at a few hundred dollars that would probably reduce the pops and noise you're getting.
Yeah I was looking into the Matrix Element H, but only if it seemed that the issue was coming from the motherboard's USB rather than an issue with the USB cable. Given that the noise changes based on the positioning of the cable I thought it could be a grounding issue with the cable, but it seems you think this is likely the motherboard causing this? I have very little knowledge about how these things work other than being able to pick out parts and build PCs lol, so I appreciate any thoughts about potential sources of the issue. Other than pops and clicks, at its worst the noise has even made the music I'm listening to sound robotic and farty. Again I know basically nothing, but perhaps this is an indication that it's coming from the motherboard USB hub rather than the cable?

And just one more thing: my motherboard is the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2. Gigabyte's AM4 socket boards had issues initially where the USB ports would suddenly stop working and the PC would need to be restarted for them to work again. A bios update fixed this, but maybe there's still some lingering issues causing this.

Oct 26, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #851 of 1,260
After further changes to my setup (lower noise and better tonal balance) this is my updated ranking.

For a system with nice tonal balance and good resolution:
  1. Neotech NEUB-1020
  2. Oyaide Neo d+ class A
For a system with good resolution but needing a shift in tonality:
  • Supra USB High-speed or
  • Supra Excalibur
For a system in need of (more) expensive cables:
  • FTA Callisto
  • Shunyata Delta
  • Shunyata Venom
These are USB cables I want to audition/reaudition:
  • Intona Reference
  • Intona Ultimate
  • Shunyata Alpha
  • Shunyata Sigma
  • Shunyata Omega
Today I had the opportunity to compare the Shunyata Omega USB with the Neotech NEUB-1020 and Oyaide Neo d+ class A. The system used was a loudspeaker system running Antipodes K50, MSB Reference and other components of equal quality.

The Shunyata Omega is really, really good. I don’t know what the ”perfect” USB cable sounds like (or not sounds like!) but this is the best I’ve heard. There’s nothing that other cables do better in any single area.

In comparison the Oyaide has a slight emphasis in the mid-bass and comes up short in every area. It’s still a very good cable and fantastic value but clearly not as good as the Omega in any area. The Neotech NEUB-1020 on the other hand is very impressive, even in comparison with the Shunyata. It sounds like a close relative with similarites in tonality and how it presents music. It does have a leaner sound.

As a results of todays audition I’ll update my list:

1. Shunyata Omega USB
  2. Neotech NEUB-1020
  • Oyaide Neo d+ class A (bump in mid-bass)
  • Supra Excalibur (slight emphasis upper midrange and lower treble, has a leaness in the bass)
  • FTA Callisto
  • Shunyata Delta
  • Shunyata Venom
These are USB cables I still want to audition/reaudition:
  • Intona Reference
  • Intona Ultimate
  • Shunyata Alpha
  • Shunyata Sigma
EDIT: Spelling.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #852 of 1,260
Today I had the opportunity to compare the Shunyata Omega USB with the Neotech NEUB-1020 and Oyaide Neo d+ class A. The system used was a loudspeaker system running Antipodes K50, MSB Reference and other components of equal quality.

The Shunyata Omega is really, really good. It don’t know what the ”perfect” USB cable sounds like (or not sounds like!) but this is the best I’ve heard. There’s nothing that other cables do better in any single area.

In comparison the Oyaide has a slight emphasis in the mid-bass and comes up short in every area. It’s still a very good cable and fantastic value but clearly not as good as the Omega in any area. The Neotech NEUB-1020 on the other hand is very impressive, even in comparison with the Shunyata. It sounds like a close relative with similarites in tonality and how it presents music. It does have a leaner sound.

As a results of todays audition I’ll update my list:

1. Omega Shunyata USB
  2. Neotech NEUB-1020
  • Oyaide Neo d+ class A (bump in mid-bass)
  • Supra Excalibur (slight emphasis upper midrange and lower treble, has a leaness in the bass)
  • FTA Callisto
  • Shunyata Delta
  • Shunyata Venom
These are USB cables I still want to audition/reaudition:
  • Intona Reference
  • Intona Ultimate
  • Shunyata Alpha
  • Shunyata Sigma
Very nice. I would love to try the Omega usb one of these days.

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #854 of 1,260
ill offer the chord company Sarum T digital super array usb. It’s pricey but I like.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #855 of 1,260
@TheR0v3r
Have you compared Neotech NEUB-1020 and Neotech NEUB-3020?
No, I haven’t.

It would be interesting given that the NEUB-1020 sounded slightly lean in comparison with the Shunyata Omega. Can the NEUB-3020 deliver the same qualities as the NEUB-1020 with a touch more body and fullness? That would be interesting 😃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back