What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #1,246 of 1,260
I only ask because a UK dealer is offering a 2.0 metre set for nearly half price so was wondering whether it was worth taking a punt on. I know their analogue cables have won awards from the likes of Absolute Sounds but I haven't seen any specific reviews or referemces to their USB cables.
looks nice but damn thats pricey. Out of my range Im afraid. But I can say I've been very happy with my Excalibur.

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #1,247 of 1,260
I only ask because a UK dealer is offering a 2.0 metre set for nearly half price so was wondering whether it was worth taking a punt on. I know their analogue cables have won awards from the likes of Absolute Sounds but I haven't seen any specific reviews or referemces to their USB cables.
at half price I definitely see the temptation. Looks like an interesting design.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #1,248 of 1,260
I've been running a 14awg custom Oyaide copper cable with P-079 & C-079 plugs for the past few days on my PC and I swear it made a difference audio wise and video wise.

Only cost me $60 on Ebay so you don't have to go crazy with it to see an improvement.
I just put a Supra power cable on my S17 Pro and it has definitely changed the sound - a bit cleaner, more detailed, and to my surprise I'm hearing things that I haven't heard before so I will be getting another for my PC as I believe it will make a difference, if only because of the shielding.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #1,249 of 1,260
I just put a Supra power cable on my S17 Pro and it has definitely changed the sound - a bit cleaner, more detailed, and to my surprise I'm hearing things that I haven't heard before so I will be getting another for my PC as I believe it will make a difference, if only because of the shielding.
It's a clear difference imo. Not a massive difference but noticeable and I'm taking all improvements I can get & when we are talking about ~$100 power cords or less it's a bargain even- provided you are putting it on amps or imo PCs as well.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #1,250 of 1,260
i had very good expierence with ferrite clamps on the PC power cable.... there is no real harm in putting for example 5 ferrite clamps close to the pc
imo you can put them on nearly all power cables with no real harm, tho specially devices that are NOT part of the hifi chain (starting from the dac) but on the same circuit as your hifi

IMO everyone who says "ferrite clamps are bad to the sound" are actually wrong and these people dont understand what EMI/RFI filtering does yet (or cant categorize it)

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #1,252 of 1,260
I now have 4 supra power cords - two silver, two copper. Have a silver power cord on my CD player, and copper cords on both my DAC and headphone amp. This combo gives me the bottom end from the copper cord and opens the soundstage with a bit more clarity and detail from the silver cord on my CD player.

I am looking for a 2 meter USB type-C to A cable for the upcoming Zen Dac v3.
What would you recommend in terms of price/value?
I think it best you come up with a budget cause I can easily recommend the 6.5-foot Excalibur for $145, but that might be too much for you. Also, not all cables are good on all systems to there's that as well. That said, the Excalibur is a great cable (I have one), though some may consider it a bit too costly.

If that's too much, you might look at cheaper solutions offered by others. I myself used an AudioQuest Pearl ($40 bucks) for years without issue, but that's before I got "cable conscious". So.... yeah, I have the Excalibur as well and it seems to be doing some good. I say that because my entire setup now consists of new gear so....🤷‍♂️

Personally, I think some of the asking prices for cables is also just a way provide a false sense of "this is the best, and why it costs this and why you need it" sales pitch.

In short, don't fall into the trap of spending an excessive amount for a cable.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #1,253 of 1,260
I now have 4 supra power cords - two silver, two copper. Have a silver power cord on my CD player, and copper cords on both my DAC and headphone amp. This combo gives me the bottom end from the copper cord and opens the soundstage with a bit more clarity and detail from the silver cord on my CD player.

I think it best you come up with a budget cause I can easily recommend the 6.5-foot Excalibur for $145, but that might be too much for you. Also, not all cables are good on all systems to there's that as well. That said, the Excalibur is a great cable (I have one), though some may consider it a bit too costly.

If that's too much, you might look at cheaper solutions offered by others. I myself used an AudioQuest Pearl ($40 bucks) for years without issue, but that's before I got "cable conscious". So.... yeah, I have the Excalibur as well and it seems to be doing some good. I say that because my entire setup now consists of new gear so....🤷‍♂️

Personally, I think some of the asking prices for cables is also just a way provide a false sense of "this is the best, and why it costs this and why you need it" sales pitch.

In short, don't fall into the trap of spending an excessive amount for a cable.
I was definitely skeptical and only really bought it to round off my system as I am already using Supra XLR and USB cables so I was surprised that it made a noticeable difference.

The Excalibur made the most improvement, it opened the sound significantly. Well worth the money IMHO.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #1,254 of 1,260
The Excalibur made the most improvement, it opened the sound significantly. Well worth the money IMHO.
I would be lying if I said I agree, but the truth of the matter is that with a totally new system and wholesale cable upgrades, I really can't say if the Excalibur is making a huge difference by itself. What I do know is given the whole of my system the Excalibur doesn't seem to be hurting things :relaxed:

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #1,255 of 1,260
I am looking for a 2 meter USB type-C to A cable for the upcoming Zen Dac v3.
What would you recommend in terms of price/value?

Attila
Supra Excalibur (AVConnection out of Denmark is cheapest even in US- and 2 day shipping) is a pinch over $100 and well worth imo.

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #1,256 of 1,260
Supra Excalibur (AVConnection out of Denmark is cheapest even in US- and 2 day shipping) is a pinch over $100 and well worth imo.
"a pinch over $100" for what length? That matters.

I got a 6.6-foot Excalibur for $145+taxes. From Sjofn Hi-Fi out of Seattle Washington (USA) via ▶ e-Bay store. No two-day shipping but no more than 3-4 days depending on when order is placed and shipped.

Also, very friendly and easy to work with - I ordered an extra 10-foot Excalibur for $156 cause I though the 6.6-footer would end up being too short. I ended up not needing the 10-footer and the store let me return it in exchange for another power cord, and some DIY cording without issue. Because of that, I bought from them again, and have zero issues recommending them now. Anyway, they're a Supra cables distributor as well. I got all > these from them in one order....

12338419.jpg

Supra LoRad Silver power cord, Supra HDMI cable, Supra LoRad copper power cord, Supra 6.6-foot Excalibur USB cable.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #1,257 of 1,260
Mine is 2 meters and was like $106 for the 2meter. Could be a slight difference bc USD to EUR matters but it's alwas around $120 or less. Thats why I ordered from over seas. Still got to me in 3 days bc they use DHL airmail.

Nice Supra hoard. I need to get me one of those HDMI Supras for my OLED.

Edit- https://www.av-connection.com/?PGr=14753

Running exactly $100 even currently for the 2 meter. $122 for the FIVE Meter~! Holy crap thats a steal. Anybody wanting a long one strike now!
Also NO SALES TAX for US buyers.
There is a shpping fee but it was like $20 ~ iirc

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #1,258 of 1,260
Mine is 2 meters and was like $106 for the 2meter. Could be a slight difference bc USD to EUR matters but it's alwas around $120 or less. Thats why I ordered from over seas. Still got to me in 3 days bc they use DHL airmail.

Nice Supra hoard. I need to get me one of those HDMI Supras for my OLED.

Edit- https://www.av-connection.com/?PGr=14753

Running exactly $100 even currently for the 2 meter. $122 for the FIVE Meter~! Holy crap thats a steal. Anybody wanting a long one strike now!
Also NO SALES TAX for US buyers.
There is a shpping fee but it was like $20 ~ iirc
Thanks.

And your link is for a European vendor, I provided a U.S. based vendor in the post above yours. If one is a US citizen, they can just shop there and wouldn't have to worry about international shipping fees and wait times. In the end it all evens out.

May 3, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #1,260 of 1,260
I have the Supra SPC cables when i connected my amp/pre to this cheap solid buildt shielded grey cable... It was the best progress in sound quality I've ever got from a tweak or cable in the system.

I have Supra and Audioquest power cables, but Supra and Ifi Nova and Supernova is bang for the bucks cables.

I also have the Supra power strip with surge protection and power conditioning.

Here is a review of the cables and power strip from a European reviewer that is trending on the internet and youtube.

https://www.alpha-audio.net/review/review-supra-md06-lorad-uhd8k-hdmi-puntjes-op-de-i-2/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back