What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
May 20, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #661 of 1,335
Does anyone have a Modi Multibit 2? If so, what USB cable are you using with it?

I'm considering the Oyaide NEO d+ Class B USB-C to USB-A cable. I could also get the Oyaide NEO d+ Class A, but then I'd need a USB-B to USB-C adapter. Not sure which route I'd be better off with. Anyone know of good affordable adapters? (Not looking to start arguments about whether these things "matter")

May 20, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #662 of 1,335
I purchased the gothic audio semper fi the outsider usb.

https://gothicaudio.com/collections...he-outsider-pure-silver-usb-cable-type-a-to-b

When I plugged it in initially, the first day it sounded like crap. It sounded flat and sterile, about 30 hours of running signal through it, it started opening up and has been improving day by day. I think it still needs a good 100-200 hours of burn in to fully settle but its sounding great at this point.

Compared to the odin knockoff usb, it is much better. I still think for the price, the odin usb is the best value but in terms of sound quality, the outsider cable is much better.

Previous usb cables I've tested on my system are the XLO Ultra Plus usb, Shunyata Venom usb, odin knockoff usb and cheap generic usb.

May 20, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #663 of 1,335
I purchased the gothic audio semper fi the outsider usb.

https://gothicaudio.com/collections...he-outsider-pure-silver-usb-cable-type-a-to-b

When I plugged it in initially, the first day it sounded like crap. It sounded flat and sterile, about 30 hours of running signal through it, it started opening up and has been improving day by day. I think it still needs a good 100-200 hours of burn in to fully settle but its sounding great at this point.

Compared to the odin knockoff usb, it is much better. I still think for the price, the odin usb is the best value but in terms of sound quality, the outsider cable is much better.

Previous usb cables I've tested on my system are the XLO Ultra Plus usb, Shunyata Venom usb, odin knockoff usb and cheap generic usb.
Pure silver vs silver plated - I was actually looking for a pure silver USB cable!

Jul 3, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #664 of 1,335
Here are some of the more noteworthy:

FTA Callisto
Neotech NEUB-1020
Oyaide Neo d+ class A*
Purist Audio Ultimate
Shunyata Venom
Shunyata Delta
Shunyata Alpha
Shunyata Sigma*
Shunyata Omega*
Supra High-speed
Supra Excalibur*

* = favourites

The Shunyatas are really great but VERY expensive. The Oyaide has excellent tonality and is superb value. The Supra Excalibur is close enough to the Shunyatas to be my pick.

PS. I’ve heard AQ and Nordost in other systems (not my own) so can’t/won’t comment on those.
Just a quick follow up on this post.

As my system has improved the differences between the Supra Excalibur and the Oyaide Neo d+ has become more pronounced.

The Supra is slightly “faster” with clearer leading edges of transients and sense of space but the Oyaide just sounds so right, it just nails tonality.

And as tonality is becoming more and more important to me I’m using the Oyaide.

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #666 of 1,335
Same opinion here 👍

I really like that fast and snappy character of Excalibur. Haven’t yet found anything that I would like better.
“Snappy” - that’s exactly the right word for for the Excalibur!

Have you heard the Oyaide? To me that’s the one cable I’ve heard that does somethings better than the Excalibur without deficiencies in other areas.

As a whole I’d say they are equals but with different strengths, if that makes sense.

Jul 3, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #668 of 1,335
Haven’t heard Oyaide yet. Next USB cable that I will try - Tubulus Concentus. If Tubulus isn't better than Supra, then I'll probably be done with USB cables for good.
Seems like a very reasonable plan. And I love that they offer a money back guarantee 👍

As my system has improved and become more resolving I’m quickly losing interest in exploring USB cables.

Of all the places we can tweak our systems expensive and exotic USB cables seem to have the least potential. More often than not they just mess things up.

IMHO.

Jul 6, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #670 of 1,335
Has anyone had a chance to hear the Aqvox USB?
I bought it for a connection between an Ifi ZS and an Exogal Comet converter and I think that connection works better than the coax ( I have a collection of very expensive spdif cables) that I use in my main system with a Weiss 202 converter. I would buy maybe something better than Aqvox, so I watched Excalibur, Curious, Wireworld Platinum 7/8...Does anyone have experience with the mentioned cables in relation to Aqvox?

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #671 of 1,335
Seems like a very reasonable plan. And I love that they offer a money back guarantee 👍

As my system has improved and become more resolving I’m quickly losing interest in exploring USB cables.

Of all the places we can tweak our systems expensive and exotic USB cables seem to have the least potential. More often than not they just mess things up.

IMHO.
interesting comment, what have you tried and how did they mess things up?

Jul 7, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #672 of 1,335
interesting comment, what have you tried and how did they mess things up?
This is my observation not a fact.

Digital signal transmission is all about signal quality and signal integrity. Some exotic manufacturers are clearly lacking in understanding the differences between that and for example power transmission.

In some cases for example impedance mismatch has made it difficult (or in one case even impossible) to get a connection with a cable.

The mismatch leads to noise and reflections which translates to changes in sound. Not accuracy.

PS. Beautiful system you got there 👍

Jul 7, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #673 of 1,335

Digital signal transmission is all about signal quality and signal integrity. Some exotic manufacturers are clearly lacking in understanding the differences between that and for example power transmission.

In some cases for example impedance mismatch has made it difficult (or in one case even impossible) to get a connection with a cable.

The mismatch leads to noise and reflections which translates to changes in sound. Not accuracy.

These were comments about (electrical) signal quality. When it comes to signal integrity things become a little more difficult.

There is signal integrity on a transmission level and then there is integrity on the audio level. The digital standards are only concerned about integrity on a transmission level and it’s accomplished in different ways depending on transmission methods, ie USB, Ethernet etc.

When it comes to integrity of the audio signal here I see some brands doing interesting things with a focus on handling noise.

I won’t name brands I dislike but one thing that many/most have in common is total absence of conformity to standards or specs.

Some of the great brands are: Inakustik, Oyaide, Supra and Wireworld.

IMHO.

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #674 of 1,335

Apologies i wasnt trying to catch you out as what you say is completely valid and obvs i'm not without horses in this race. I was just interested in your specific experience with different cables because i agree the lack for conformity in approach or perhaps more importantly lack of consensus as to exactly what's trying to be achieved, does mean that there are wide disparities in performance and functionality between different cables. In my experience of making all types of digital cables, a USB cable is capable of has huge potential to influence the sound quality of digitally sourced system :)

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #675 of 1,335
Apologies i wasnt trying to catch you out as what you say is completely valid and obvs i'm not without horses in this race. I was just interested in your specific experience with different cables because i agree the lack for conformity in approach or perhaps more importantly lack of consensus as to exactly what's trying to be achieved, does mean that there are wide disparities in performance and functionality between different cables. In my experience of making all types of digital cables, a USB cable is capable of has huge potential to influence the sound quality of digitally sourced system :)
No problem and absolutely no need for an apology. This is probably the one area were I have some kind of expertise, and not just experience, so enthusiasm got the better of me when I saw your question 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back