What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Oct 30, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #256 of 1,260
is there such a cable to use with my laptop and chord qutest dac

Any cable should work, but if you care about mobility they're not a convenient solution... unless you manage to order one with a custom length (Lindy takes custom orders for their USB AOC cables). Depending on the cable, USB backward compatibility might be an issue since many of these solutions focus on USB 3.0 and/or later. You might have to use the adapter I mentioned in the previous post to enable your USB 2.0 devices... normal USB hubs don't help in that regard.

Your dac has an optical input already. You might be better off using a good USB to optical converter instead... if such a thing exists..

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #257 of 1,260
I have bought a few of these, Volutz usb cables, they look good and solidly built.

They are on amazon.co.uk

I bought 3.3ft and 6.6 ft versions and added small ferrite choke on both ends and im my opinion they are excellent usb to usb micro, the price has been slashed and the cables I got I reallu do think they are great, one word of warning, get some 3mm 5mm 7mm and 9mm ferrite chokes to clip onto the wires to nullify RFI interference.

Well worth buying these instesd of using generic cables, plus they are reinforced cables.

I hope this helps

Do ferrites have any downside?

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #258 of 1,260
Look what I just received. The mighty « curioisnUSB Cable ».

D4FCC63A-06F7-475E-834E-7ECB570E3E05.jpeg
A59FE1D1-7BDA-43F4-8B2B-8CE3BCF277A9.jpeg

My USB tests can continue for best connection between my Aurender W20 and my Terminator R2R DAC ...

728B303D-73EE-4867-84FC-5DF19F3EB176.jpeg

I will report

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #259 of 1,260
You can buy it here for example

hi i just received this Aucharm cable, and I do not know what to make of it, the bass impact got less than the stock usb cable that came with chord qutest, and i hear no difference in mids or highs, not happy with this new usb cable

does it need burn or in or something, as I feel with it the sound quality got not better and with less bass

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #260 of 1,260
hi i just received this Aucharm cable, and I do not know what to make of it, the bass impact got less than the stock usb cable that came with chord qutest, and i hear no difference in mids or highs, not happy with this new usb cable

does it need burn or in or something, as I feel with it the sound quality got not better and with less bass

YES like all cable it needs burning, but I am surprised and sorry for you that it does not sound as good as mine sound. May be it is not the same model ?

Nov 18, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #261 of 1,260
YES like all cable it needs burning, but I am surprised and sorry for you that it does not sound as good as mine sound. May be it is not the same model ?

i bought it from the link you sent on aliexpress

i hope it will get better if not who cares its not an expensive cable anyway

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #263 of 1,260
at least after receiving the aucharm cable i am now a believer that usb cables do affect the sound, now with aucharm it added too much detail and little reduced the bass, and my goal from buying a usb cable was to get the opposite effect, as my hifiman he1000v2 already has enough detail when using stock chord qutest usb cable,

i am in search for a usb cable that keeps detail but adds more warmth and body with maybe more bass extension with good musicality, any advice for something that is reasonably priced up to 200 usd

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #264 of 1,260
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #265 of 1,260
at least after receiving the aucharm cable i am now a believer that usb cables do affect the sound, now with aucharm it added too much detail and little reduced the bass, and my goal from buying a usb cable was to get the opposite effect, as my hifiman he1000v2 already has enough detail when using stock chord qutest usb cable,

i am in search for a usb cable that keeps detail but adds more warmth and body with maybe more bass extension with good musicality, any advice for something that is reasonably priced up to 200 usd
Cable needs burn in. The better insulation of cable the more burn in it needs.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #266 of 1,260
So I could suggest the Panatela Reserva USB Cable from SABLON Audio, which is the exact opposite of the Curious Cable that I have: More Warm, and may be less details.

You can read a little about the SABLON USB digital cable in the conclusion of this review :

https://hometheaterreview.com/parasound-zdac-192khz-digital-to-analog-converter/?page=2

I hope this help...

thanks for the rec, i read bout this one

https://stordiau.com/collections/ca...lush-2-usb-audio-cable?variant=12779952767085

anyone tried lush usb cable

also how is your impression bout curious cable

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #267 of 1,260
Nov 20, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #268 of 1,260
@Sound Eq, given your budget and needs I'm wholeheartedly recommending Lush. I have their first model and don't intend to upgrade to Lush^2. Because I went overboard financially that time I bought the Aucharm to hear if I can downgrade. Well, they're different. Lush is a pretty good name eventhough it could give the impression it's a bit warm with a risk of overly warm if you haven't heard the cable yourself. What stands out to me is where certain passages in music would sound harsh, bordering unlistenable with AQ Forest or Carbon and I prematurely suspect Aucharm as well, Lush just flows. On a bad day one could argue it rolls off top frequency, or something! I'm unable to describe but crazy enjoyable.

Mind the shown prices in their shop are ex VAT

Nov 20, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #269 of 1,260
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #270 of 1,260
A proper, normal, shielded USB cable (on Ali, probably one from ugreen or other similar reliable brand). For USB in Audiomode (which has no error correction like USB Data transfer, where all cables are fine), chances to influence a transferred bit in a normal environment are still totally minimal ... and if one of them turns, chances you hear that one changed bit are very close to 0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back