What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Dec 7, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #916 of 1,288
What I meant that Usb cables and filters can reduce noise.
I know a filter can reduce noise, and I have said in another thread that a cable is a filter, so I guess I will have to agree with you. :beerchug:

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #917 of 1,288
Do you think it's worth spending c.100 USD/UKP on a cable between a PC and DAC or isn't the source good enough?
It makes sense only if the new cable is a better cable than the cable your using now. I don’t mean to sound obnoxious but my experience is that price is an extremely poor indicator of quality when it comes to cables, especially when it comes to digital cables :wink:

What are you using now?

Dec 8, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #919 of 1,288
Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry to cause a disagreement. :)

I'm using an 'Amazon recommended' USB cable at present and thinking about buying a Supra Excalibur cable. I've been surprised at the difference headphone/IEM cables make so I am open-minded about a USB cable changing the sound, my only doubts are whether it's worth it when just using a PC's audio output and if it would improve the already optimised USB of my ADI-2. I agree that any half-decent cable will be an improvement and that it will reduce noise so it's probably worth it to get the best out of it.

On a tangent, have any of you compared using the USB2 sockets on our motherboards with the USB3s? I have a theory that USB2 will be cleaner as my other devices are connected to the USB3 sockets so the DAC has USB2 all to itself. Also, I wonder if going USB2 to USB2 rather than 3 may have a slight edge? Any thoughts? A bit extreme perhaps but when we're talking about cables sounding different, nothing's off the table. lol.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #920 of 1,288
Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry to cause a disagreement. :)

I'm using an 'Amazon recommended' USB cable at present and thinking about buying a Supra Excalibur cable. I've been surprised at the difference headphone/IEM cables make so I am open-minded about a USB cable changing the sound, my only doubts are whether it's worth it when just using a PC's audio output and if it would improve the already optimised USB of my ADI-2. I agree that any half-decent cable will be an improvement and that it will reduce noise so it's probably worth it to get the best out of it.

On a tangent, have any of you compared using the USB2 sockets on our motherboards with the USB3s? I have a theory that USB2 will be cleaner as my other devices are connected to the USB3 sockets so the DAC has USB2 all to itself. Also, I wonder if going USB2 to USB2 rather than 3 may have a slight edge? Any thoughts? A bit extreme perhaps but when we're talking about cables sounding different, nothing's off the table. lol.
Ok, I’m guessing that ”Amazon recommended” means your basic, generic cable USB cable but at least ”USB certified”. In that case there are better cables available.

Just to be clear, what you’re aiming to improve with a better cable is the analog signal going to your excellent DAC (not the digital data). That’s why correct impedance is such an important concept when it comes to USB cables. So to answer your question: yes, it’s worth spending $100 to improve the signal quality to your dac :darthsmile:

P.S. Just make sure that the cable manufacturer understands what problem they should be solving. Supra does, and so do many others recommended in this thread. Others are seriously clueless when it comes to digital…

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #921 of 1,288
For usb cable, I woud say it should be about 15% on your total cable budget. Then, the cable should be around 35% of the budget of the whole system(not including headphones). For instance, my 1800 amp + 2200 amp, 35% of the total budget would be 1400 USD. 600 for IC, 300 for each power cable, and then 200 for usb. I recommend wireworld starlight cable.

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #922 of 1,288
I have an Oyaide Neo d+ class A connected to a LampizatOr Baltic 4 and sounds very good and would like to upgrade to some other that is marginally better specially lowering the noise even further but would love to keep budget not as high specially since the ones that I have had in the 900 - 1400 usd range have barely surpassed this Oyaide Neo d+ jewel, for what have called my attention are the NEOTECHs and the Inakustik Excellence High Speed...
Could you comment on the sound characteristics of those vs the OYAIDE ?

Thanks for that shared info very helpful
Your looking at two excellent cables. They will at least sound different from the Oyaide your using now. And I understand that’s why your asking about the ”sound characteristics” of the two.

I’m actually not sure about the concept of using an USB cable for ”lowering the noise”. Noise can be experienced in many different ways. Noise was how my parents described my music growing up :sweat_smile:

Let me preface this is by saying that all I can do is to describe how things sound in MY system. Over the years it’s become very clear to me that what reviewers (in a very broad sense) can do is to describe changes individual components make in the context of their system. And on top of that comes our individual preferences… With that out of the way let’s come back to the actual sound.

My preference is the Inakustik. It creates a very balanced, correct sound with many strenghts and few weaknesses. If those are the qualities your aiming for I’d go for Inakustik Excellence High Speed in the sub $300 price range. That’s my goal because I use tubes in my system and enjoy hearing the changes different tubes make.

The reason to choose the Neotech NEUB-1020 would be because it sounds a little different. It has a leaner sound which also can come across as more resolving. I’m not sure that it actually has ”more information” but the leaness and strengths in the treble may create that impression. IF your system would benefit from those qualities it’s an excellent choice! A friend who uses the Shunyata Omega USB (very expensive!) sees that Neotech as the only, less expensive option.

Edit: The length may matter, at least when it comes to the Neotech. My friend swears that the only length to use is 1.5m, and that’s all I’ve tried.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #923 of 1,288
Your looking at two excellent cables. They will at least sound different from the Oyaide your using now. And I understand that’s why your asking about the ”sound characteristics” of the two.

I’m actually not sure about the concept of using an USB cable for ”lowering the noise”. Noise can be experienced in many different ways. Noise was how my parents described my music growing up :sweat_smile:

Let me preface this is by saying that all I can do is to describe how things sound in MY system. Over the years it’s become very clear to me that what reviewers (in a very broad sense) can do is to describe changes individual components make in the context of their system. And on top of that comes our individual preferences… With that out of the way let’s come back to the actual sound.

My preference is the Inakustik. It creates a very balanced, correct sound with many strenghts and few weaknesses. If those are the qualities your aiming for I’d go for Inakustik Excellence High Speed in the sub $300 price range. That’s my goal because I use tubes in my system and enjoy hearing the changes different tubes make.

The reason to choose the Neotech NEUB-1020 would be because it sounds a little different. It has a leaner sound which also can come across as more resolving. I’m not sure that it actually has ”more information” but the leaness and strengths in the treble may create that impression. IF your system would benefit from those qualities it’s an excellent choice! A friend who uses the Shunyata Omega USB (very expensive!) sees that Neotech as the only, less expensive option.

Edit: The length may matter, at least when it comes to the Neotech. My friend swears that the only length to use is 1.5m, and that’s all I’ve tried.
Thanks for the kind reply

i agree 100% that is system dependent and synergy,

They will at least sound different from the Oyaide your using now
the concept of using an USB cable for ”lowering the noise”

Do they have overall better sound than the OYAIDE ? NEOTECH is leaner than Oyaide ?

I like Oyaide's tone and bass controls and overall balance is good but not wow

I used to had a SABLON 2020 which for me at least, was superior than the OYAIDE only in showing less noise.

Regards !

Dec 10, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #924 of 1,288
I used to had a SABLON 2020 which for me at least, was superior than the OYAIDE only in showing less noise.
I compared my Oyaide neo d+ Class A to a Curious Cable in my desktop headphone system and found not much difference. However, through loudspeakers in my higher resolution main system, I found quite a large difference in instrument separation and soundstage, in favour of the Curious Cable.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #927 of 1,288
Dec 10, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #928 of 1,288
Thanks for the kind reply

i agree 100% that is system dependent and synergy,

Do they have overall better sound than the OYAIDE ? NEOTECH is leaner than Oyaide ?

I like Oyaide's tone and bass controls and overall balance is good but not wow

Regards !
Yes, in my opinion both sound overall better than the Oyaide. The Neotech is the ”leanest” cable of the three, but only lean in comparison. It’s not lean as in thin sounding, just with slightly less ”meat” than the other two.

You can actually substitute the Curious with the Neotech in @audiobomber reply:
compared my Oyaide neo d+ Class A to a Curious Cable in my desktop headphone system and found not much difference. However, through loudspeakers in my higher resolution main system, I found quite a large difference in instrument separation and soundstage, in favour of the Curious Cable
As I wrote before, my friend views the Neotech as the USB cable closest in performance to the Shunyata he uses. That’s some praise!

Dec 10, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #929 of 1,288
Some experiences with cables mentioned here, fwiw, your mileage may vary, etc.:

-Supra Excalibur: Lean and ultrafast in my speaker system. You hear some percussion and how quickly it gets resolved and you go "come on". Did not like it in my system, but for someone who, say, listens only to Mozart or has a slow/thick sounding system or naturally likes a very fast ribbon tweeter style sound, this may be a fit.
-Intona Not-So-Premium: Expected an analytical monstrosity, instead i got greeted by immediately noticeable rolled off highs, hello 5 euro printer cable! Otherwise a passable, if inexciting listen. Does not have high-end dynamic speed&punch, only average. As a fun exercise, i tried throwing every bright cable i had on my system and brought sound close to neutral, but it was still unsatisfying. Definitely not worth the money, a quick A/B with a basic Supra 2.0 which i use as a reference and sanity check quickly showed this.
-Oyaide Class A: Clean, powerful and ..slow. Clarity and dynamics are very surprising for the price point, but there is also some whack imaging and ultimately the whole package is lacking musicality.
-Supra 2.0: The affordable reference and an audiophile treasure in my book. Very close to a realistic balance soundwise with a touch of low-mids emphasis, fast, punchy, nuanced sound with great imaging, does not hold back a system whatsoever and i cannot see why it shouldn't be considered as the comparison standard as far USB cables go. The question about the other cables should be "Does it beat Supra?" If your system does not sound satisfying, it is not this cable's fault.
-Inakustik Excellence MicroUSB: Very nice sound up top, but the bottom half is unfortunately lacking weight. Prim and proper sound.
-Neotech 1020 or whatever that silver cable is: Thankfully not bright, but seriously lacking in dynamics and liveliness overall. Clean midrange, boring, neutral. Would work for the Diana Krall listening audiophile, but i like cables which suit all types of music.
-Wireworld Ultraviolet 8: Bright crap that should not be on the market. Only redeeming quality the agile sub-bass that usually comes with silver-plated cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back