What's the best amp for HD800
Nov 13, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #631 of 680
The Sennheiser HD 800S doesn't need an amplifier. A 16" M1 Max MBP handles the Sennheiser HD 800S super easy.

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #633 of 680
This is your opinion...

The Sennheiser HD 800S gets so loud from this laptop, it can cause you hearing damage. The Sennheiser HD 800S doesn't even test the limits of what this laptop can power.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #635 of 680
I'm pretty sure that the HD800 will sound very loud when connected to the MBP. At the same time, I'm not so sure that the HD800 will sound at its best without a dedicated headphone (tube) amplifier.

Makes alot of sense, to buy super expensive tube amplifiers, not because it needs the power but just to add distortion and colour and pray it will suit your taste.

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #637 of 680
The Sennheiser HD 800S gets so loud from this laptop, it can cause you hearing damage. The Sennheiser HD 800S doesn't even test the limits of what this laptop can power.

Makes alot of sense, to buy super expensive tube amplifiers, not because it needs the power but just to add distortion and colour and pray it will suit your taste.

Yikes, where to start?

Just because the HD800S plugged into a MBP is capable of causing hearing damage doesn't mean the resulting sound is distortion-free. If loudness equated to fidelity, we could all just sit in our cars and crank our car stereos with their Bose speakers because they are also capable of causing hearing damage.

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #638 of 680
Yikes, where to start?

Just because the HD800S plugged into a MBP is capable of causing hearing damage doesn't mean the resulting sound is distortion-free. If loudness equated to fidelity, we could all just sit in our cars and crank our car stereos with their Bose speakers because they are also capable of causing hearing damage.

It is distortion free. I have actually compared it to other things which power the HD 800S easily also (considering that the Taurus MKII does nothing when you add it to the chain, which is a very transparant solid state amplifier.).

The HD800S can be run straight out of a 16” M1 Max MBP without any problem.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #639 of 680
The Sennheiser HD 800S doesn't need an amplifier. A 16" M1 Max MBP handles the Sennheiser HD 800S super easy.
Try driving that HD800s off some mobile amps. I tried running them off two such ‘amps’ and all you get is a dull sounding pair of cans.
The newer MBPs though specify that they can driver high impedance cans. So in that case you may not need amps.

Nov 14, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #642 of 680
I smell someone's can hear measuring. No offence!

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #643 of 680
It is distortion free. I have actually compared it to other things which power the HD 800S easily also (considering that the Taurus MKII does nothing when you add it to the chain, which is a very transparant solid state amplifier.).

The HD800S can be run straight out of a 16” M1 Max MBP without any problem.

Hmmm... You're probably right. I think you best send me your DAVE and it's no longer needed. I wouldn't want it cluttering up your desk.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #645 of 680
Hey UT

I hope everything is alright at your end. I still come here from time to time. Most of the time, I just enjoy my HD800 and my Darna amp.

Stay safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back