What's the best amp for HD800
Apr 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #31 of 680
Mm, the HDVD800 is getting some quite mixed reviews, some seem to love it and others not so much..
Didn't like it personally, but couldn't get a direct compare to anything else than a couple of Antelope Zodiac's...

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #33 of 680
I use the Phonitor with my HD800. Phonitor may be a SS amp, but it's definitely on the warm side. I spent a lot of hours playing with the crossfeed function also.

If you are on a budget, use the Auditor instead. Same circuitry as the Phonitor, but without all the different miscellaneous options.

May 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #35 of 680
Quote:

thats like saying Beyerdynamic A1 is the best amp for T1,  
confused_face.gif

nailed it 

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #36 of 680
I know this thread is a little old but I only got my HD800s recently and have yet to figure out what amp I'd like to get. Currently, all I have is a Creek OBH-11.

I just bought a Shange/Raccoon SG-200 whicjh is said to be a tiny bit warm. Is this any good?

What do you guys think of the Little Dot MK II ?

How about the SPL Auditor?

Also, why doesn't anyone mention Sennheiser's own HDVD800 amp?

Should I just upgrade the Creek instead?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #37 of 680
If going cheaper I'd go Matrix M-Stage HPA-2 w/USB DAC. $320 for the best amp/DAC combo under $1k with the HD800, IMO.

Over that mark you start getting more options, Bryston BHA-1 (solid state, $1400), Eddie Current S7 (valve, $1800), Eddie Current Zana Duex (valve, $2200), DNA Stratus 2A3 (valve, $2700), Headamp GS-X mk2 (solid state, $2800) and on and on.

Senn's amp is not very good, the Little Dot is OTL, but I doubt it's ability to drive HD800s well. I've read that the Phonitor and HD800 are not a good match due to the Phonitor being too warm and masking detail. I've never heard any Creek product, or heard of Shange/Raccoon.

Schiit Audio will have it's top of the line Ragnarok solid state amp out very soon and we're all hoping it works well with HD800s. It will run $1500 and also be able to power efficient speakers.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #38 of 680
I've tried the HDVD800 driving the HD800, albeit single-ended only. To be honest, I wasn't impress with the amp.
At that kinda price, I was expecting something special, and kitchen sink thrown in also :D

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #39 of 680
Thanks Maxvla

I went with the HPA-2 for now but without the DAC. With the two analog inputs I can hook up the tuner and cd and eliminate the preamp.

Thanks Akhyar for confirming my suspicions.
Darned shame.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #40 of 680
Good choice. Hope you enjoy.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #41 of 680
A relative newcomer to the scene - Questyle CMA800R.   You might want to read the review by project86 - he seemed to be very impressed with this amp.  Apparently the amp was designed with the HD800 in mind.  It appears to be comparable to if not slightly better (for the HD800) than the Auralic Taurus MKII, which itself has received excellent reviews.  The only apparent downside to this amp is that you have to get two of them if you want to run the HD800s balanced -- but you may not really need to.  

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #42 of 680
  A relative newcomer to the scene - Questyle CMA800R.   You might want to read the review by project86 - he seemed to be very impressed with this amp.  Apparently the amp was designed with the HD800 in mind.  It appears to be comparable to if not slightly better (for the HD800) than the Auralic Taurus MKII, which itself has received excellent reviews.  The only apparent downside to this amp is that you have to get two of them if you want to run the HD800s balanced -- but you may not really need to.  

Very interesting amp! I would like to know how good is this amp in comparison to other generally reccomended SS amp for the Hd800 (like GS-X MKII, Bryston BHA-1, Auralic Taurus, Violectric V200)...

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #43 of 680
manley labs neo classic 300b.  add a pair of Takatsuki 300b and you are good to go. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #44 of 680
I've been in contact with some guys here on head-fi who owns the HD800 and who have been through a lot of gear... all of them thought very highly of the DNA sonett. Some of them even ranked it above the Leben and Zana... which is pretty amazing since the Leben is at least 3x the price!

Incidentally... there is a balanced DNA sonett with upgraded tubes somewhere in Europe right now making it's way to me from mr Perfect Pitch...
biggrin.gif

Sure - he was the guy selling it, but he said that the DNA sonett was his number one amp for the HD800's. He was selling all his equipment and moving back (?) to speakers.

Of course - there are way costlier options out there who probably are even better. Balancing act, stratus, leviathan, pinnacle....

But the sonett is pocket change compared to those and if it's half as good as everyone says it should be good enough for me.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #45 of 680
  Very interesting amp! I would like to know how good is this amp in comparison to other generally reccomended SS amp for the Hd800 (like GS-X MKII, Bryston BHA-1, Auralic Taurus, Violectric V200)...

Take a look at project86's review of the CMA800 -  he does compare this amp to the V200 and Taurus MII.   My impression is that he thinks all 3 play in the same league but each has pros and cons depending on your preferred headphone and overall SQ.  I believe he feels that for the HD800s, the CMA800 is probably the best match.   No comments on either the GS-X MKII or Bryston.   I used to have a GS-X (first generation) and I did not think it was the best match for HD800, but the MKII could be a different story.   I am actually considering getting a CMA800R for my HD800.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back