What's the best amp for HD800
Dec 1, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #196 of 680
I am using now the hd800 with the WA6 with sophia mesh plate and a marantz cd player. i am extremely satisfied with the sound, especially when listening to jazz and rock records.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #199 of 680
  anyone out there would like to comment on the synergy of the hd800 with a sophia princess plate in woo audio amps? i am loving my set up so far.

there is a lot of talk about that over on the Woo thread

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #201 of 680
I bought HDVD800 recently and i think hdvd800 is a pretty good amp for hd800 considering its price, but it could be better to just have hdva600+some dac because hdvd800's dac is at low level for dacs serving hd800. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #202 of 680
Well, I've whittled it down for me...and it might just be an end-game amp for my HD800s.

The SPL Auditor.

No overt coloration (because let's face it, SS or tube you're always going to get the sound a little colored), just pure audio bliss: what goes in, will come out into your cans, "audited," under a microscope, yet never cold or clinical, nor too warm or...preconceived.  Your favorite music will definitely be heard in a different light, and I purport that it's exactly how it was mixed and mastered.

If you have a crap DAC it will bring out the flaws in that, too.

As much as I love the nostalgia and glow of tube operated gear, I feel it is still often times a band aid, to either tame/color your cans/speakers, or to make recordings sound like something they're not. There's nothing wrong with this! Yet, for my listening enjoyment, I want the music to breathe, or in some cases not breathe, inherent to its own particular merits, either in the mix or the master, or a combination of the two. There's it's own certain joy to this, when the music is coming out both musical, and layered enough to suit where you place your attention.

The SPL Auditor does this for me (paired with the right DAC, of course) and generally speaking, without double amping, if your DAC is a combo Amp/DAC unit. Running balanced from DAC to the SPL Auditor also makes a world of difference.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #203 of 680
I bought HDVD800 recently and i think hdvd800 is a pretty good amp for hd800 considering its price, but it could be better to just have hdva600+some dac because hdvd800's dac is at low level for dacs serving hd800. 

I agree. just bought a hdva600 this weekend to go w/ my pwd mkii. It should be here tomorrow or Tuesday.

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #206 of 680
I don't know anyone mentioned here(Probably did lol) already, but so far, all the amps I've tried(DNA Stratus, WA2, WA6-SE, 3CH-B22, Master 9, MJOLNIR, Soloist) for the past couple of years DNA Stratus was the best sounding amp for HD800

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #207 of 680
  I don't know anyone mentioned here(Probably did lol) already, but so far, all the amps I've tried(DNA Stratus, WA2, WA6-SE, 3CH-B22, Master 9, MJOLNIR, Soloist) for the past couple of years DNA Stratus was the best sounding amp for HD800

you heard HD800/Wa5?

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #208 of 680
  Yet, I want optimal soundstage.

You want soundstage?
Well then you need audio gear with most micro detailing (plankton) and to get that,
you want to minimize as much as possible 3 things inside your gear:

1-op amps
2-feedback
3-solid state

There are your clues to realise that "clean and beautiful" does not always translate to real but one clue for getting true real detailing, us having soundstage(or room ambience in recording ).

Some gear can be hyper detailed but totally mess up or eliminate the sonic micro cues that make up soundstage.
Sorry to throw another problem for you.

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #209 of 680

GS-X MkII.  Best I've heard with the HD800, and I own a WA5LE with great aftermarket tubes.  

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #210 of 680

GS-X MkII.  Best I've heard with the HD800, and I own a WA5LE with great aftermarket tubes.  

Some who have heard both would disagree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back