what's the benefits of having both the Fiio E7 and E9?
Jan 7, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 14
From what I understand, the E7 is a portable DAC/amp to be used by itself and the E9 is basically a desktop amp with line in connection but can dock the E7 so that you could utilize the DAC in the E7 while using the more powerful amp in the E9.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 14
i would only need the E9 if i want to power headphones that are >200ohms, is that correct?

i guess what i'm trying to figure out is to get just the E7 or E7+E9, i'll be using it mostly with my Mac desktop, Windows laptop, and iPhone, and all my headphones are under 200ohms

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 14
It's not just the impedance, some headphones that have only 50 ohms as impendance are extremely power-hungry. If you tell people what headphones you have, perhaps someone with the same headphone(s) can contribute and let you know whehter they need a desktop amp to sound good.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 14
The E9 is amp only. Unless you have a line out on your devices, hooking up the E9 to a headphone jack is doing your sound quality more harm than good. The E7 (or another DAC) is essential if you don't have a decent soundcard with a line out. The E7 just happens to pair well with the E9 for obvious reasons.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 14
Not sure about the others, but the Sony's work if you just put the cord in your hand and hum loudly. They're easy.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 14
@ minwyn:

i'd go with the fiio e7 or nubert icon udac2 (slightly better i suppose), or wait for the e17 later this year..

as dscythe mentioned, none of these phones/iem need a powerful amp. so a dac/mini-amp like e7 would fit best for a computer/iphone-setup imo...and there are the ibasso's, too...

btw, if you buy new n better n bigger headphones you still could upgrade your amp section (e.g. w/ e9  (only with e7) or else)

good luck!

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 14
I also have TripleFi 10's which are 32ohms but have tested up to 64.5 ohms
Tomorrow I should receive a pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones which are 25ohms

Been looking at the E7 and E9 combo but wish there was something just as good or better that has:
More inputs
Pre-out (this is optional)
One unit
Very good DAC
OP amp rollable (though not sure if I would utilize it)
Good battery life like the E7
Enough power if I decide to get some high ohm headphones
As portable as the E7
Not too crazy of a price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back