What's more important: Musicality or Detail?
Jul 11, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #32 of 96
In my book, one without the other = incomplete sound. Tonality is crucial, but hearing the information on the recording is essential as well. I'll take both, thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #33 of 96
For me its a close call between musicality and details.
But voted musicality since thats why I listen to music in the first place.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #35 of 96
I usually find that those 2 are actually fairly closely held together... (except for select headphones that lack in musicality entirely).

I'll choose musicality, but generally I find that great cans have a great deal of both. W5000, RS-1, K340...

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #36 of 96
For me, it's always about details retrieval but if the musicality is lost in the process than I'm out. That's what I like the most about my SR-100 w/ HP1000 drivers, they are really musical but have details in spades.

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #37 of 96
Hmmm i think I would go for detail. But it's a difficult one. Musicality is also of great importance. If I would only have detail and not the rest i would not be interested. Same goes for the other way around. Hmmm....I'll stick with the detail if I have to choose. I wanna hear what's being offered
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #38 of 96
Personally, I think that both are very important. For me, a musical headphone is only nice when it also reveals a sufficient amount of details, otherwise, it just won't immerse me into the music. On the other hand, if it is too detailed, but not musical enough, the nice details won't matter much to me, since it will be too boring to listen to. Honestly, so far I have not found a headphone that packs a perfect balance of musicality and details for my tastes. For example, my UE Super.fi IEMs are very musical but lack details, my Senn HD555 cans are, again quite musical, but not detailed enough, while my Shure SE530s are very detailed and balanced, but have just a touch less musicality than I would prefer. (sighs)

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #40 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Musicality.

I've been considering buying more 'musical' heaphones to try.

IMHO the K701 can be VERY musical with the right source and amp.

On that note... IMHO source and amp upgrades can really transform a "non-musical" headphone. Source and amp upgrades however can not transform a congested headphone that lacks detail.

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #42 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
7.5% voted neither??
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
I guess thats team iBud.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

LOL ... either that or team Sennheiser. (yes I like to diss you guys/girls).

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #43 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
7.5% voted neither??
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
I guess thats team iBud.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

well, there is no option 'both', so what to choose if you value them equally... I chose 'niether' as it comes closest (not favoring one nor the other and not going for 'hella bass' either)

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #44 of 96
Even if I own Etymotic, I think musicality is more important than detail.

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #45 of 96
I've done the focus on detail thing before, it's interesting and all, but musicality wins first and foremost. There is such a thing as too much detail. Specifically if the music you listen to lacks the insane recording quality that a highly detailed setup requires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back