What's more important: Musicality or Detail?
Jul 11, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #16 of 96
Yeah, how can you tell if you have a better system if isn't revealing previously undiscovered detail? How can you feel that its better if it doesnt have that better resolution? Musicality will come.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #17 of 96
Depends on mood. One day's a listening day, the next is a LISTENING day.

In a noisy room, musicality is most important. In a quiet room the details better catch my attention.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #20 of 96
Unlike many here, I don't sit back and listen to music just to do so. I listen to my music while I'm doing something else - surfing the net, driving, doing homework, etc. Having a beat to go along with my activities is more important than hearing every little detail without a good feel. I'd take the rocky, punchy feel of the SR80's I'm wearing or my similar KSC75's over an analytical, neutral headphone anyday.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #21 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two are not mutually exclusive, but id pick musicality on the basis that a headphone with a lot of musicality and little detail is okay, whereas one with a lot of detail and no musicality is no fun.

Same here.

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #25 of 96
I'm going to have to pick musicality (with details closely behind). However, it's not something I need to be concerned about with the HD-650 and K340: both have them in loads.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #28 of 96
Musicality has a very slight edge over detail, hence my RS1 preference.

All of one without any of the other would be terrible.

Jul 11, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #29 of 96
Both are important.

If only musicality is important, why buy such expensive headphone gear? You can get very musical cheap ear/headphones. On the other hand, if only detail is important, it cannot be used for music-playiback.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #30 of 96
Voted musicality as this is why I listen in the first place, although a balanced system should deliver on both musicality and detail. Of course a truly neutral, detailed presentation should simply communicate what the original artist intended in terms of musicality and detail. I guess most of us are sampling the original recording in some way and only subjectively know whether what we are listening to is musical and/or accurate and to what extent.

I also believe our listening habits and enjoyment are affected by our personality traits. Someone who is analytical may focus on a individual instrument in a mix and pursue a transparent and detailed presentation. In contrast someone like my father, who directs a male voice choir, is listening for a more seemless presentation.

While I try to focus on the music as a whole I too have enjoyed those 'I never heard that before' moments when I have upgraded components or listened to friends systems.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back