What's in the world's most expensive chocolate?
Feb 10, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone wants some, PM me. Won't be there for Valentine's and won't be cheap but it's possible to do!

White truffles are the most expensive food I've had (used to be a chef). $3,000 - $5,000 per pound.

Thats a dumb price to pay for food, of any sort. I could never justify that.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because I don't eat the amp and crap it out in about a day, then flush the waste down the toilet.

Exactly, it just seems like a waste for something that will give you about a minute of pleasure, then is in your toilet the next morning.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Truffle maybe
Billionaire buys truffle for record price

Well, that was only a one shot deal and proceeding donated to charity.
tongue.gif

Ah, that guy is a notorious for having gang connections, multiple wives, as well as donating huge amounts to charities and education (IMO to deflect attention from his darker side). I live a few minutes drive from him actually, assuming he still lives where I think he does (on top of his own little hill in the south side of Hong Kong Island). Anyhow, white truffle smells nicer than it tastes. There are many other delicacies I would have over white truffle... like nice chocolate!

There is a store in a high end shopping mall (IFC) in Hong Kong that claims to be the most expensive chocolatier in the world. Can't remember what the name is but I personally really like this chocolatier.

Plaisir du Chocolat

They used to have their own coffee shop on the Royal Mile (Edinburgh) and a lil' boutique on the top floor of Harvey Nichols. Too bad both no longer exist and they've moved to a shop on a random side street in the city centre.

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #22 of 33
Man, $350/pound in El Paso? That is an insanely low price, no?

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because I don't eat the amp and crap it out in about a day, then flush the waste down the toilet.

The point isn't how long the pleasure lasts; it's how much the pleasure is worth. Many people think that it's ridiculous to spend more than $50 on a pair of headphones and yet, look at us. If that's the way they want to spend their money, I say let 'em.

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? I don't care for the standard hershey bar. it tastes too much like sour milk.

the thing of it is, when milk chocolate was developed in europe, they used dry milk on purpose.

hershey, being in PA, just used fresh milk - but it goes sour during the process.

So that's why it doesn't taste that great.

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 33
It should be noted that you don't eat the entire $3k truffle in one meal ;0 I think 1 pound of truffles is enough for quite alot of truffle based dishes.

Sort of like how saffron is super expensive by weight, but the amount needed per dish is low, so it's affordable for normal people.

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone wants some, PM me. Won't be there for Valentine's and won't be cheap but it's possible to do!

White truffles are the most expensive food I've had (used to be a chef). $3,000 - $5,000 per pound.

that's sure not a trifling matter!

...i had to.

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still like a Hershey bar, now and again.

i think they changed a recipe on Hershey's chocolate...now it tastes sweeter than it used to. I don not like it!

i personally love cadburry chocolate, so rich and creamy

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No beatin' the classic Hershey bar!

As rat poison, you mean?

In the classic movie The French Connection II, Gene Hackman's character has been drugged by the bad guys, then rescued by the French police who put him in detox. At one point they try to give him some French chocolate while he is in detox and he throws it away, saying:
I want... I want some Hershey bars,
Henry. You know what I mean?
Wait! I want the Hershey bars, Henry. Not
the Frog oatmeal **** you've been givin' me.
I want real Hershey bars with the nuts in 'em.
My mother still remembers that scene, and thinks (as I do) that preferring Hershey to anything, including oatmeal or sawdust, is a clear sign of heroin-addled lunacy.

In the first French Connection, one line of dialogue has the cops brushing off a nosy neighbor during a stakeout by claiming they are trying to break a counterfeiting gang trying to steal the Hershey recipe. Another outlandish idea...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the thing of it is, when milk chocolate was developed in europe, they used dry milk on purpose.

In fact Daniel Peter, the inventor of milk chocolate along with his neighbor Henri Nestlé, co-founded Nestlé with him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should be noted that you don't eat the entire $3k truffle in one meal ;0 I think 1 pound of truffles is enough for quite alot of truffle based dishes.

Truffles are shaved. They are so aromatic a little is sufficient to flavor a dish. Agronomists have been trying to cultivate them for ages, so far unsuccessfully. Once they crack the code, prices will fall.

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a store in a high end shopping mall (IFC) in Hong Kong that claims to be the most expensive chocolatier in the world. Can't remember what the name is but I personally really like this chocolatier.

Plaisir du Chocolat

They used to have their own coffee shop on the Royal Mile (Edinburgh) and a lil' boutique on the top floor of Harvey Nichols. Too bad both no longer exist and they've moved to a shop on a random side street in the city centre.

Hm, over here, most of the local chocolatiers charge about $2 per square that size.

How much was the most expenisve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back