Whats are some of the best headphone's for serious music production that can run off my laptop
Nov 29, 2013 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Adrian Peterson

Head-Fier
Whats are some of the best headphone's for music production that can run off my laptop?

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 10
I am looking for an answer to that question as well- came here with the Audio Technica ATH-M50S in mind . I have had numerous 'phones in the last 15 years or so, and have the Etymotic ER-4 , but want a conventional type headphone. I know there are newer models than the AT that are well received and am doing lots of reading of reviews, etc., in hopes of finding the right ones for me.

At least there is no shortage of great designs out there.......!

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 10
Depending on your taste of course, this is my take away from a bunch of reading, haven't heard any of them yet but have spent some time with most of the phones they get compared to (HD280, HD650, AKG Q701, AKG K550, Momentum):

Most Neutral:

Sony MDR-7520
Focal Spirit Pro

A bit more/warm bass:

V-Moda M-100
Shure SRH-1540

Look for a used Audioquest Dragonfly to make your laptop less of an issue without sacrificing portability, then an HD650 is workable along with other phones that benefit tremendously from just a bit more juice than the typical laptop headphone jack.  I don't think any headphone is ideal as a single reference for music production (maybe HD800 according to some, but not from a laptop...), but the above, along with the ATH-M50 would be a good place to start.  I have the M-100 arriving any day now, and anxious to try the other three on my list as well.  Bringing the HD-650 back into the fold in the next month or two.  I have heard and dismissed: B&W P7 and Momentum due to comfort/fit problems, K550 due to slightly wonky mids/highs, HD280 and M50 just a bit too closed in for me... So I am looking forward to continuing my quest.  I like a lot of genres and do a little recording/mixing/production for fun so I am hoping to find 2 or 3 that are long term keepers.  I personally find the B&O Play H6 to be very comfy and good from a phone/laptop, but like the K550 not neutral enough if your priority is music production.

Regards,

Greg Jensen

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 10
OK so if you had to narrow it down to one headphone that is the most neutral and best for music production which would it be?

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 10
It would be the one you like the sound of, and if you are not able to hear one, then the one that fits/feels the best (I think this is so important that I now pay much less attention to all the subjective comments on this board in terms of "decisions" and use the great sampling of opinions to help in terms of "candidates"), and if you aren't able to try them out then pick the one that looks the best to you... though I think it is best to read a bunch of comments/reviews and see if a pattern starts to emerge where you feel comfortable relating to a few view points here and there and then go with what seems to be most in sync with your preferences and priorities.  If none of that makes sense to you, just get the Sony MDR-7520 to play it safe.  

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Sony MDR V6 and Audio Technica ATH M50 are industry standards. Can't go wrong. Although, as mentioned previously, you'd want to purchase an aftermarket DAC/Amp to get the most out of them. Audioquest Dragonfly is down to $100 on AMZ right now!

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 10
German Maestro GMP 8.35 D. Thank me later 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back