Whats a good Dac/Amp for Fidelio X2/JBL 305s?
Sep 16, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #46 of 66
I need outputs for speakers, I have foud one that has it, but I dont know if the volume changes with the volume knob

I've encountered a thread here where a guy has been using the O2 that way but not all versions of it do that. Not even all of the O2-ODAC boxes have analogue output (which as they state in the websites would be direct from the ODAC, hence nobody thought it would have volume control) as some have input into the O2 section of the circuit.

You can ask the O2 builders how their O2-ODACs work when configured with analogue output, ie, if the volume control works.

I took a screenshot from the JDS Labs website to illustrate that you can use it with powered speakers if you select the right option.

o2odac.png

Since they did word it like this, you could assume that you can use the volume control as your preamp, but if you want to be sure, then yeah, it would be better to ask them directly.

I don't know how much more colored the sound would be compared to using a passive preamp. (The iFi micro iDSD and Schiit Fulla 2 are two examples of DAC/amps that sounded better in DAC only mode with a passive preamp.)

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #47 of 66
Maybe I will just get Schiit Fulla 2 even if I have heard both positive and negative about it. and I would probably have to buy from US and that means if some problem happens, it will be more of a pain.

Other options I have seen in my price range (its not 300 € anymore, its more like 200-250 €) is Fiio E10K, SMSL Audio M3, and Aune X1S (on sale), but none of them have control over speaker out with volume knob from what I have seen (pre amp)
And iFi Nano iDSD and iFi Audio Micro iDAC (dont know the difference between the two), but speaker plugs on the front seem really weird to have? (both iFi Nano iDSD and Aune X1S is more expensive than I really want to)

Rn. I just want a physical volume knob and not having to reach behind my desktop to switch from speakers to headphones and other way around.

Feb 18, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #51 of 66
But, do you know how the volume knob will be placed when its on a "comfortable" level? Would it be like 1/4 of the way or less or?

That doesn't really matter other than if the gain is too high. If the gain is too high and you can't get to 8:00 or 9:00 on the dial (by which point a decent potentiometer won't have output imbalace across both channels), then the only thing that matters is whether you have the common sense to pull back or not listen for sustained periods when it's too loud or when you hear distortion or overexcursion, something that people with crappy low power, high distortion amplification still tend to do since they don't know what clean sound is actually like.

So in short even if you have something like a 9watts at 16ohms Schiit Lyr or a ~2watts at 32ohms Meier Classic FF driving an IEM the only question is is it already deafening before the Lyr gets past its imbalance point while the Meier's digital potentiometer with analogue control doesn't have that problem.

A Rega Ear with a fraction of the power of the Fulla2 but with a +26dB gain setting is still going to be a much bigger problem than even a Lyr2 on the X2, or any headphone, or IEMs.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #52 of 66
That doesn't really matter other than if the gain is too high. If the gain is too high and you can't get to 8:00 or 9:00 on the dial (by which point a decent potentiometer won't have output imbalace across both channels), then the only thing that matters is whether you have the common sense to pull back or not listen for sustained periods when it's too loud or when you hear distortion or overexcursion, something that people with crappy low power, high distortion amplification still tend to do since they don't know what clean sound is actually like.

So in short even if you have something like a 9watts at 16ohms Schiit Lyr or a ~2watts at 32ohms Meier Classic FF driving an IEM the only question is is it already deafening before the Lyr gets past its imbalance point while the Meier's digital potentiometer with analogue control doesn't have that problem.

A Rega Ear with a fraction of the power of the Fulla2 but with a +26dB gain setting is still going to be a much bigger problem than even a Lyr2 on the X2, or any headphone, or IEMs.

I dont understand some of that.

But some have said Fulla 2 have inmbalance at lower levels (some said untill 8 O'clock), I just wonder if that will be a problem with X2

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #53 of 66
I dont understand some of that.

But some have said Fulla 2 have inmbalance at lower levels (some said untill 8 O'clock), I just wonder if that will be a problem with X2

Ever played Gran Turismo? Forza? F1?

Gain is like transmission ratios on a car. Power is like horsepower. Excluding all other variables for now, you can have 600hp or 100hp, and it's entirely possible that if you get the transmission ratios wrong, the 600hp car can't hit 185mph or the 100hp car will shift to second gear after barely moving from the line.

The Rega Ear is like the 100hp car with the wrong gear ratios. Sure the power's low, but your tyres will struggle to catch the pavement, and you have to shift to 2nd gear too soon. Sure, you're already going for second, but in the moments that you're trying to shift to 2nd all other cars regardless of horsepower are still accelerating and won't introduce that pause in their momentum and actually carry a higher speed by the time they have to shift to 2nd. On the Rega Ear any headphone with a high enough sensitivity if it's working off a 2volt signal will be too loud before the signal in both channels is even.

And that's what I'm saying about power and gain. The power isn't the problem, the gain can be. You can have a Meier or a Violectric with double or triple the power of the Fulla2 and the low gain mode on these - plus the lack of imbalance on the Meier potentiometer - and power isn't the problem.

What I'm clarifying is no amp technically is "too much" in terms of power, but only in terms of "too high gain" or "why spend that much, you don't actually need that much power anyway."

What they're saying about the Fulla2 is about its gain and not its power. But whoever said it you need to double check if they had it on low gain mode or high gain, because if they forgot to set it to low gain mode then all that confirms is that the X2's sensitivity allows it to get really loud before the potentiometer is twisted past the point where it's still uneven across both channels.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #54 of 66
I'd recommend the SMSL SU-8 for a few reasons. First, it outputs to both RCA and XLR at the same time. The 305's are sensitive to SE noise so using XLR is important. Secondly, the SU-8 performs well. I use XLR out to my JBL30X's and RCA into a THX 789 (Pick your amp flavor, and you're set). The sound quality is fantastic and the DAC itself only costs $200. Also, it has a remote for you to control sound levels. I need to double check if the outputs can be deactivated with the software though, otherwise you'll need to switch the 305's off when using headamp.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #55 of 66
Ever played Gran Turismo? Forza? F1?

Gain is like transmission ratios on a car. Power is like horsepower. Excluding all other variables for now, you can have 600hp or 100hp, and it's entirely possible that if you get the transmission ratios wrong, the 600hp car can't hit 185mph or the 100hp car will shift to second gear after barely moving from the line.

The Rega Ear is like the 100hp car with the wrong gear ratios. Sure the power's low, but your tyres will struggle to catch the pavement, and you have to shift to 2nd gear too soon. Sure, you're already going for second, but in the moments that you're trying to shift to 2nd all other cars regardless of horsepower are still accelerating and won't introduce that pause in their momentum and actually carry a higher speed by the time they have to shift to 2nd. On the Rega Ear any headphone with a high enough sensitivity if it's working off a 2volt signal will be too loud before the signal in both channels is even.

And that's what I'm saying about power and gain. The power isn't the problem, the gain can be. You can have a Meier or a Violectric with double or triple the power of the Fulla2 and the low gain mode on these - plus the lack of imbalance on the Meier potentiometer - and power isn't the problem.

What I'm clarifying is no amp technically is "too much" in terms of power, but only in terms of "too high gain" or "why spend that much, you don't actually need that much power anyway."

What they're saying about the Fulla2 is about its gain and not its power. But whoever said it you need to double check if they had it on low gain mode or high gain, because if they forgot to set it to low gain mode then all that confirms is that the X2's sensitivity allows it to get really loud before the potentiometer is twisted past the point where it's still uneven across both channels.

Whatever, Gain then, doest really matter.

Fulla 2 does not have a "gain switch" btw. I dont know what headphones they that said it had imbalance before 8 O'clock used, thats why I ask if it will be bellow or above that with Fidelio X2 At normal, or comfortable levels. Wouldnt ask if I knew.

I'd recommend the SMSL SU-8 for a few reasons. First, it outputs to both RCA and XLR at the same time. The 305's are sensitive to SE noise so using XLR is important. Secondly, the SU-8 performs well. I use XLR out to my JBL30X's and RCA into a THX 789 (Pick your amp flavor, and you're set). The sound quality is fantastic and the DAC itself only costs $200. Also, it has a remote for you to control sound levels. I need to double check if the outputs can be deactivated with the software though, otherwise you'll need to switch the 305's off when using headamp.

You maybe didt see that I no longer have a 300€ total I am willing to spend but more like 200-300 € total.

Well, If it was a combo unit then maybe, but For a dac only, I dont really want to spend that much. Especially because its not available in Norwegian(my country) store,so...
The only real alternatives I have found that have XLR Out that isnt too expensive is some audio interfaces (Foucusrite scarlet/steiberg UR22) I dont need mic inputs and people say the amp isnt the best thing in them (but I do ofc not know that, but thats what people say).

Is it really that important if its just very sort distance?

Feb 19, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #56 of 66
Yes... I've done a short run SE to the 305's and has to adjust gain to compensate the noise every time. I've tested - Bifrost MB G5, SU-8 SE vs XLR, Ifi iDSD BL and Topping DX7s. All had SE noise, two different houses - as I upgraded :D Still, I'd suggest saving some coin and going SU-8. They are $200USD on MD and can be purchased from shenzhenaudio for $208-218 on sale regularly. You might get lucky.

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #57 of 66
Whatever, Gain then, doest really matter.

It kinda does when choosing an amp. If it didn't I wouldn't discuss it.

Fulla 2 does not have a "gain switch" btw. I dont know what headphones they that said it had imbalance before 8 O'clock used, thats why I ask if it will be bellow or above that with Fidelio X2 At normal, or comfortable levels. Wouldnt ask if I knew.

It has 1.7X gain. That outright is on the low side but the sensitivity of the headphone and the quality of the potentiometer need to be taken into account, which is why it's important that if you heard about the imbalance with it, it has to be either the same headphone or it has higher impedance and lower sensitivity. If it can get imbalance with something harder to drive then at the very least it's practically sure there's going to be a problem with your headphone.

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #58 of 66
It kinda does when choosing an amp. If it didn't I wouldn't discuss it.

It has 1.7X gain. That outright is on the low side but the sensitivity of the headphone and the quality of the potentiometer need to be taken into account, which is why it's important that if you heard about the imbalance with it, it has to be either the same headphone or it has higher impedance and lower sensitivity. If it can get imbalance with something harder to drive then at the very least it's practically sure there's going to be a problem with your headphone.

I dont know, thats why I am asking! I dont know what headphones those that said it has! If I knew, I wouldnt be asking!

If you dont know if imbalance would be a problem with Fidelio X2, (or something that is baiscally the same) Then stop answering, you arent helping.

Feb 20, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #59 of 66
Mm, can you acquire a used Topping DX7s? That'd work really well. I mean, REALLY well. That unit also has XLR+RCA out with preamp and headamp ability and would sound great with all your gear.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #60 of 66
I dont know, thats why I am asking! I dont know what headphones those that said it has! If I knew, I wouldnt be asking!

If you dont know if imbalance would be a problem with Fidelio X2, (or something that is baiscally the same) Then stop answering, you arent helping.

I don't even know what thread you saw that on! I don't know where or if the thread is even in this forum! If I knew then I would have read it and searched for "Philips X2" in that thread!

If you can't go back to look at it and ask the people who said it waht headphones they used that had a channel imbalance, then I'd really stop answering, since you're not even going to help yourself apart from asking to get spoonfed info that people don't directly know where you're getting it from when the whole concept is otherwise being laid out to you so you don't go there, check, then come back to have that info chewed up and digested for you.

I can show you X + Y = Z, when the test comes with A - B = C you should at least have an idea how to get the answer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back