What'd You Guys Think of The Dark Knight?
Jul 22, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #46 of 119
Sometimes the writers intention is to get the viewer to look at things around us in the real world a little bit closer. Irreversible deals with a number of real world issues (and can be quite difficult to watch).

Not all movies are just for entertainment purposes, although there's nothing wrong with these. Hell, even TDK had a subtext, if you wanted to go further than just viewing it as escapist entertainment.

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #47 of 119
WHY SO SERIOUS??? This was an awesome movie and Heath Ledger kicked major arse! I highly recommend anyone who hasn't watched this movie yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #48 of 119
Watched it on Saturday with some friends, thought it was great. It's a big budget popcorn flick that dares to challenge morality, Heath Ledger's Joker is disturbingly excellent, blah blah blah...easily the best summer movie of 2008.

I was kinda disturbed by all the little kids in the theater though. Some of them started crying in some of Ledger's more sadistic sequences; come on parents, it's a Batman flick, but do your research. I could see some nightmares for little 8-year-olds coming out for this.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #50 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by david21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, when parents think of Batman, they think of this:

Photos from Batman

Eh, Adam West could be disturbing in his own ways...

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #51 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes the writers intention is to get the viewer to look at things around us in the real world a little bit closer. Irreversible deals with a number of real world issues (and can be quite difficult to watch).

Not all movies are just for entertainment purposes, although there's nothing wrong with these. Hell, even TDK had a subtext, if you wanted to go further than just viewing it as escapist entertainment.

I lived in Skid-Row, L.A. I live now in Washington Heights, New York. I have seen enough real life violence. How much closer do I need to get?

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #52 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by david21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, when parents think of Batman, they think of this:

Photos from Batman

...which looks suspiciously like these guys. Time changes everything
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #53 of 119
You know, I work in New York in a high-profile restaurant. Celebrities come in all of the time and I really could care less about them. However, once in a while someone really nice will come in and treat the staff with respect. The original Batman, Adam West, is such a person. He is so kind and thoughtful. He the rare difference amongst the narcissistic. It has been quite a few years since I have seen him. I hope he is alive and well.

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #54 of 119
Saw it earlier today. I kept thinking, "It's too bad that Heath Ledger died" whenever he did something cool. Great movie. Felt a little bored midway through so I started putting away my SA6s instead of leaving them in a tangled mess...

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #55 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lived in Skid-Row, L.A. I live now in Washington Heights, New York. I have seen enough real life violence. How much closer do I need to get?

Not all movies are about violence tho. You originally said: "Some movies just boggle my mind as to why they were even made". You telling me you've never watched a movie that gave you a different outlook, introduced you to a culture you weren't familiar with, or showed you a side of life that you haven't seen before? Every movie is made for a reason. Some people don't live in a violent society. For them, movies like Irreversible provide an insight into a different life.

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #56 of 119
Yea, I cried when Heath Ledger died. I do not know why. He wouldn't have cried if I died. There was just something about his being that seemed real to me. More than the acting. It could be my own projection, but he seemed to be searching for something. Who knows, I wasn't his analyst. Still, I cried.

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #57 of 119
Quote:

Not everyone lives in nasty places and, quite often, they get lulled into this sense of security because nothing bad has ever happened in their little down-filled world of happiness. Some of the more intelligent ones can get knocked off their ivory perch when the occasional violent movie comes along and reminds them the world isn't always puppies, butterflies, and sunny days.

Gratuitous violence doesn't always do that, but sometimes, "boobs and booms" (as a friend calls them) movies are nice just to kick back and watch. Some movies go past the line, like "The Hills Have Eyes" and "Hostel". Those movies seem pointless to me. But stuff like Bond movies and the like are nice for entertainment value. Historically violent movies like "Gladiator" remind us that quite a few "cultured" civilizations took pleasure in planned violence, as long as it was on slaves and the like. Gives a good contrast, if one thinks about it, to current society and culture. Other violent movies like "Saving Private Ryan" and "The Thin Red Line" remind us what the generations before us have done and gone through in order to allow us what we have today.

In the end, though, movies are created for entertainment value, and just like some people watch F1, some watch NASCAR, and some watch NHRA, different people like different movies, and quite a few like harmless action flicks.

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #58 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not all movies are about violence tho. You originally said: "Some movies just boggle my mind as to why they were even made". You telling me you've never watched a movie that gave you a different outlook, introduced you to a culture you weren't familiar with, or showed you a side of life that you weren't familiar with? Every movie is made for a reason. Some people don't live in a violent society. For them, movies like Irreversible provide an insight into a different life.

Yes, your point is very clear. But the original question had to do with what movies "you" and "I" watch. I am only speaking for myself. I can not stomach a certain kind of morbid violence in film anymore. The Incredibles is violence I can take. The Exorcist? No way. As for other people and what they watch, of course, film is a rich a diverse medium to learn from. There are just certain themes I do not want to see anymore of? Isn't that fair? Or are you going to chain me down and make me watch Saw? : )

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #59 of 119
Quote:

Yea, I cried when Heath Ledger died. I do not know why. He wouldn't have cried if I died. There was just something about his being that seemed real to me. More than the acting. It could be my own projection, but he seemed to be searching for something. Who knows, I wasn't his analyst. Still, I cried.

Are you talking about the movie (haven't seen it), or his real-life suicide?

There was an interview where he said getting into the mind of the Joker to play the character showed him some of the "bad and twisted" parts of his mind that he really didn't like. I actually rather enjoy the twisted part of my mind. Anyway, I'm not sure how much that affected his overdose - hell, there wasn't THAT much wrong with his life, he was a successful Hollywood movie star and could probably pull in as much premium ass as any other young handsome actor - but his role as the Joker could have had some part in it.

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #60 of 119
I am talking his real life suicide. Yes, I agree with you. How much was wrong with his life? Though "success" is not the same as happinesss, contentedness, or peacefulness about life. Who knows what his life was really like from childhood up to adulthood. I also think that his role of the Joker is not a excuse. I just didn't see him "living" the role of the Joker like maybe Daniel Day-Lewis would. He did a great job. But he wasn't, "the Joker". He still probably ate at the Craft Service Truck between takes. If we are talking living a role and then wanting to commit suicide afterwards, my bet would've been Linda Blair in The Exorcist. For most of the people in the world, just living an everday life is far more difficult. But still, I am sad about Heath Ledger. Oh, its just terrible what he did to himself, the poor thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back