What'd You Guys Think of The Dark Knight?
Jul 22, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #62 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am talking his real life suicide. Yes, I agree with you. How much was wrong with his life? Though "success" is not the same as happinesss, contentedness, or peacefulness about life. Who knows what his life was really like from childhood up to adulthood. I also think that his role of the Joker is not a excuse. I just didn't see him "living" the role of the Joker like maybe Daniel Day-Lewis would. He did a great job. But he wasn't, "the Joker". He still probably ate at the craft service truck between takes. If we are talking living a role and then wanting to commit suicide afterwards, my bet would've been Linda Blair in The Exorcist. For most of the people in the world, just living an everday life is far more difficult. But still, I am sad about Heath Ledger. Oh, its just terrible what he did to himself, the poor thing.

Yeah, I don't dismiss him out of hand because he committed suicide, because he was a pretty damned good actor, especially in lighter roles (A Knight's Tale was pretty good). I just can't see what'd be so bad that'd he'd commit suicide, although it might have simply been a case of overdose without a suicidal desire behind it. Don't really know enough about the situation to say either way.

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #63 of 119
At this point, nobody knows and nobody will ever know why he committed suicide. Its all just speculation from here on out. Only Heath knew himself. But even then, maybe he didn't know why he did it. The mind is a tricky thing. By the way, DomonicLemming, what are the twisted parts of your mind you said you rather liked?

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #64 of 119
How about we get back on topic and discuss the movie and not what everyone thinks about society/motivation for making movies.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #65 of 119
Ah, I just got back from watching the IMAX version. I whole-heartedly recommend it over the normal version which I watched a few days ago. Seriously good stuff.

I actually thought "Rachel" was quite good looking. In some ways it's better to have a believably-good-looking girl than some ultra-hawty like Jessica Alba who we can only dream about.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #66 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At this point, nobody knows and nobody will ever know why he committed suicide. Its all just speculation from here on out. Only Heath knew himself. But even then, maybe he didn't know why he did it. The mind is a tricky thing. By the way, DomonicLemming, what are the twisted parts of your mind you said you rather liked?

I think about lot of things in ways normal people wouldn't.

My username, for example. I've been using it for going on 7 years now, in various places. It stemmed from a conversation I had with a friend - who is now a professional bum and quite enjoying it - in AP Biology class. We were talking about lemmings, which are small rodents that live in Antarctica. No one knows why, but every few generations entire colonies of them make a mass exodus to the ocean, where they all jump in and promptly turn into lemmingcubes. No one knows why they do that. I postulated to my friend that there was probably some devious, demonic little person of a lemming that told all the other lemmings to jump. DemonicLemming was born out of that little conversation and has been going strong since. People who know me in person are rarely surprised when I tell them that, since they seem to think it fits in pretty well with my personality.

I've also randomly come up with torture ideas that make even my aunt, a seasoned ER radiologist, wince. I've taken enough psychology classes to understand quite a bit about the human mind, and combined with a very clinical, experimental mind, I love doing or saying certain things to specific people or groups, to see what kind of reaction I'll get. Even people in my family have said I never do anything or ask a single question without some motive behind it. My aunt once told me that if I ever got married (which I won't), and I had a kid, while everyone else was being awed by the "miracle of birth", I'd be standing there with a clipboard, recording observations and the like.

A lot of people are scared of the dark things that occasionally get churned up from the depths of their minds. On the other hand, I quite like to grab those things, pull them out of the muck and wash them off, and examine them. Once you know why certain things rise to the top, and how and why they're formed, you get a lot better control over your mind. A lot of people are also frightened to try new things - be it a new food, a new job, a new genre of music of type of book, a new drug, a new activity. I'll do damned near anything new (with the exception of some food) just to see what it's like, and to be able to compare what the actual experience is like, vs what the typical person thinks it's like.

I think some people don't like to do new things because they worry it might be dangerous. True, and plenty of it is, and I've gotten myself into trouble quite a few times when any normal person would have never been where I was. But if one never tries anything new, or only tries the safe stuff, what's the point in living? It seems banal, and moreover, boring to me. In middle school, I was probably one of the most reticent, inverted people in my entire school. Drugs were bad because they were, rock music wasn't good because it wasn't "wholesome", and laws were made by smart people who thought about things really hard before they made any decisions. I asked questions, but only when I thought they were allowed and never if they might offend anyone. A few years later, with a lot of reality under my belt, and a much more cynical and cutting view of life, I'm completely different. Sure, drugs might be bad, but how do you know which ones aren't as bad until you try? Metal is instinctual, and those happy little cotton candy songs that are so popular are about as real as cartoons. I question anything and everything, and if I piss people off when I do so, good - I'm shaking the dust off ideas people have never really considered before. If someone says something doesn't work, I try it myself. If someone says a particular method is old-fashioned and works, I try to find a new way to do it. It might not be better, but it'll be new, and maybe it'll help me think of a different way to go about doing something.

I'll leave my little personal description at that, but when it comes down to it, I've offended a hell of a lot of people, challenged the way quite a few people think, argued with some important people (the manager of the Camaro project at GM, as an example) about things that everyone else seemed to take for granted, tried damn near anything that sounded interesting, and found out that I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up (I'm 23 now), and that there's way too much interesting stuff to see and do and read and experience by allowing myself to get mortared into the wall without trying as much of it as I can. I don't doubt that one day my curiosity will get me killed, but as long as I'm trying something new, I'm not too worried about it. Everyone dies eventually, and if I can't do it on the battlefield (another interesting bit, I'm what most Christians would consider a pagan, even though I don't think of myself strictly as one, and it's not the new-age touchy-feely where can I get legal weed? paganism) with a sword in my hand surrounded by my enemies, then dammit, I won't die in bed of old age if I have anything to say about it.

As far as the movie, well, I haven't been to see anything new in quite a while, even though I literally live within throwing distance of a 31-screen AMC theater with a few IMAX screens, but I just might get out this weekend and see this movie. I quite liked the first, and this one sounds pretty good too. Sorry for the hijack
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #68 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually thought "Rachel" was quite good looking. In some ways it's better to have a believably-good-looking girl than some ultra-hawty like Jessica Alba who we can only dream about.

But he's Bruce Wayne, he can get any girl he wants.

The reason I like her over some superhero girlfriends is that she doesn't get in the way.

Jul 22, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #69 of 119
movie was 8/10. overall good but short of excellent due to some plot issues and some other things.

i think this movie gets too much praise for what it was. there were good performances and overall a good plot, but it simply wasn't at the level of excellence for me. heath ledger was good but there have been better. for instance, anton chigurh: better character, better performance, better film overall.

2nd edit: also i cannot stand maggie gylenhaal. her acting was bad, she looks like a chipmunk, and she basically had no significant purpose in the movie. seriously one of the worst female characters i've seen in a recent movie (though not as bad as the girl from Iron man. talk about daft scripting...haven't seen something that bad since the man from earth).

Jul 22, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #70 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2nd edit: also i cannot stand maggie gylenhaal. her acting was bad, she looks like a chipmunk, and she basically had no significant purpose in the movie. seriously one of the worst female characters i've seen in a recent movie (though not as bad as the girl from Iron man. talk about daft scripting...haven't seen something that bad since the man from earth).

What role does she play? Is she sort of a stand-in for Katie Holmes' character in Batman Begins?

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #72 of 119
I know I'm late joining this thread and I haven't read all the comments, but here are my 2 cents.

I was disappointed by TDK. I saw it on Saturday morning at 10:30 in a mostly full theater.

There were too many false endings. The movie wasn't very well edited and most of the moral choices were made by characters in which we had no interest.

As examples, what was the point of going to Hong Kong other than a few neat stunts? The character from Hong Kong could have been from anywhere else in the world and it would have been much simpler (and shorter) to bring him back. As it is, it takes 20 minutes of non-plot to bring him back.

I also think, while he did an outstanding job and I would have liked to have seen more of him in appropriate scenes, that the movie is hijacked by Heath Ledger as the Joker. Really, the entire movie should have revolved around Batman and Harvey Dent but that dynamic is relegated, either through editing or our own expectations, to a side plot. The whole transformation into Two-Face seemed sort of rushed and much of what he did as Two Face seemed like it should have been in a different movie.

I think the movie should have ended with the Joker hanging there from the building and Two Face killing the first of the dirty cops.

And, the big thing, the choices of the people on the two ferries. Who really cared about any of those characters? None was developed and we as the audience didn't really have a connection with any of them.

And for those who might argue about the Rachel Dawes/Harvey Dent dilemma, how is that a choice? Who would you choose, someone you had just met or a life-long friend/love interest?

All of this said, I very much realize that I spoiled TDK with my own expectations. I don't think it's a bad movie, I just don't think it's as good as everyone makes it to be or as good as I had hoped it would be.

I really plan to wait a few years and watch it again after the context of Ledger's death has passed and my own expectations have faded so that I can judge it more clearly.

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #73 of 119
Thank you for sharing with us DemonicLemming about the reason behind your screen name, your avatar, and about those suicidal lemmings. I realized that we have been talking about Batman all along and you haven't even seen the film yet. Well, based on what you had to say about yourself, the Joker and Two Face mirrors your sentiments to a great degree and I hope you go see the film soon. After, just don't start flipping coins. : ) Did you ever see, No Country for Old Men? The dialog in this film, thanks to Cormac McCarthy's novel, is even more probing as it goes deeper to the core and into the dark side of the mind. But Cormac McCarthy is a genius. "Genius", as I am sure you'll agree, is overused in today's culture and used to describe everything from Madonna to Super-hero movies, but in McCarthy's case, it aptly applies. Also, your comments belies a maturity of mind, especially for someone at the age of 23, and paints a portrait of an unconscious which you might want to consider examining in greater detail. Socrates said, "life unexamined is not worth living". This sounds like something Freud would've said. Not many people are able to give voice to their psyche in the way that you have and your mind seems to be an especially rich well waiting to be investigated. Anyway, just my two cents. Take Care.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #74 of 119
From this piece of news

Quote:

LONDON - Batman star Christian Bale was arrested Tuesday over allegations of assaulting his mother and sister, police and British media said.

The 34-year-old actor spent four hours at a London police station before being released on bail.

British media had reported that Bale's mother and sister complained he had assaulted them at the Dorchester Hotel in London on Sunday night, a day before the European premiere of his latest film, "The Dark Knight."

The Sun newspaper said police did not question the actor Monday because they did not want to interfere with the premiere of the movie.

Asked Tuesday whether Bale had been arrested, a London police spokesman did not refer to him by name but said: "A 34-year-old man attended a central London police station this morning by appointment and was arrested in connection with an allegation of assault."

The spokesman spoke on condition of anonymity because force policy did not authorize him to be identified. British police do not name suspects before they are formally charged.

The force later said in a statement that the man had been released on bail pending further inquiries and told to return on an unspecified date in September.

U.S.-based representatives for Bale didn't immediately return messages seeking comment. Repeated phone calls to Bale's London representative went unanswered.

Wales-born Bale first made a splash as the child star of Steven Spielberg's "Empire of the Sun" in 1987. His screen credits also include "American Psycho," "The Machinist" and "Batman Begins."

In "The Dark Knight," Bale reprises the role of wealthy playboy Bruce Wayne and his crime-fighting alter-ego Batman, a brooding vigilante superhero still scarred by the murder of his parents.

The Warner Bros. film, which stars the late Heath Ledger as Batman's nemesis The Joker, took in a record $158.4 million at the box office in its opening weekend in the U.S. last week.

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #75 of 119
I thought the movie was horrible. I HATE the fact that his voice goes all cheese when he's in the costume, but regular when just Bruce Wayne...I hated it in the last movie, and I hated it this time around. The first fight scene was atrocious when he was clipped onto the van, yada yada.

Aside from the Joker being a complete badass the entire movie (well played I might add as well, the pencil scene was AWESOME), the rest of the movie was wack. Character interaction was VERY VERY good, but meh...the rest was too cheese for me.

If Heath Ledger wasn't dead, I think this movie wouldn't have gotten NEAR the publicity or ratings it did....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back