What'd You Guys Think of The Dark Knight?
Jul 22, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #77 of 119
I saw Dark Knight on its opening day, Friday early morning at 3am, and was somewhat pleased with the outcome. I have a few pet peeves like most others.
  1. Fight choreography with better camera angles needs to improve with the next film. I feel that this was a weak spot for both films.
  2. I concur that Maggie Gyllenhaal was the wrong choice for leading lady in this film. I'm not sure I can pin down what fans are looking for but I'm sure that she is not it.
  3. I'm probably one of the few who wanted an even darker Batman film. I remember reading the DARK KNIGHT graphic novels and would've enjoyed something on an even keel as far as tone goes. If anyone has seen the recent anime release of BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT, they would understand the look and feel these theatrical releases should emulate.

The Bond franchise went dark and it was an amazing success. The Darker the Better.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #78 of 119
Hey DemonicLemming, I don't mean to be a party pooper but are you aware that the lemming story is a complete fabrication? They don't throw themselves off cliffs in Antarctica (considering they don't live there...the story comes from Alberta Canada
biggrin.gif
where they are usually found) This was a staged event and caught on film, folks were throwing them off themselves in order to perpetuate a theory during the filming of a documentary, see here.

As for Ledger, some speculate he didn't commit suicide but was trying to sleep after a few days of hard cocaine and partying. The OD was a result of trying to sleep.

At this point no one knows or likely ever will know and I don't much care overall. The movie was grand and an excellent comic film. Many claim it is more a horror film than an action adventure film. I would agree partially, calling it a psychological thriller and taking solid pages from Frank Miller and Alan Moore, Batman should be more psychological thriller than action/adventure. In the DC world, aside from the Vertigo line of heroes and anti-heroes, Batman is about the darkest character they have, always balancing the fine line of ethics, never wanting to kill but never having an aversion to hardcore maiming. He is up against the most malicious and unscrupulous killers and homicidal maniacs that a film true to this should be nothing but brutal. American blockbuster film makers have to realize that it is okay to make an R rated film that is based on a comic book, it will do well and it will be a better movie for it. Nolan is doing about the best that can be done without such an R rating. I'd settle for an uncut video release.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #79 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey DemonicLemming, I don't mean to be a party pooper but are you aware that the lemming story is a complete fabrication? They don't throw themselves off cliffs in Antarctica (considering they don't live there...the story comes from Alberta Canada
biggrin.gif
where they are usually found) This was a staged event and caught on film, folks were throwing them off themselves in order to perpetuate a theory during the filming of a documentary, see here.

Interesting....seems my high school buddy was a bit off when he described lemming behavior to me.

Ah, well. I do rather like the name, as it's a bit different than the normal stuff used on forums and the like.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #80 of 119
Oh the name is awesome and given the social use of the word lemming, I took the name to mean something entirely different yet equally interesting.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #81 of 119
Quote:

Oh the name is awesome and given the social use of the word lemming, I took the name to mean something entirely different yet equally interesting.

Now that's an interesting angle on it I hadn't thought about. Something else to ponder on.
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #83 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I loved this film. I like that it was dark, and being the middle of the trilogy (for Bale, anyway), it's fitting that it's this dark. While Ledger was amazing, I still think Gary Oldman deserves the Oscar nod more than Heath.

And I think Aaron Eckhart more than Heath.

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #84 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHY SO SERIOUS!?!?

Perhaps because misinformation propagated largely via the internet will be a major downfall for future generations? Might as well proactively curb every bit of that while one can. I didn't attack the guy, I merely pointed out the complete error and hopefully this will mean that in the future, if he posts the reason for his name, folks will get the back story but with the corrected meaning so that el poster doesn't present himself as foolish in the eyes of those who know the facts. I was gentle, many online are not.

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #85 of 119
Quote:

Perhaps because misinformation propagated largely via the internet will be a major downfall for future generations? Might as well proactively curb every bit of that while one can. I didn't attack the guy, I merely pointed out the complete error and hopefully this will mean that in the future, if he posts the reason for his name, folks will get the back story but with the corrected meaning so that el poster doesn't present himself as foolish in the eyes of those who know the facts. I was gentle, many online are not.

Ya, no offense or anything taken here. I quite agree with stopping misinformation before it turns into a rolling beast that consumes everything.

The only problem is convincing some people that what they believe is wrong. Some people hate to accept the fact that what they've been thinking/saying/writing could be incorrect based on sometimes the smallest piece of incorrect information.

I probably should have validated the suicidal rodent story myself, but I just never really thought about doing it.

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #86 of 119
No biggy man. And thanks for not getting offended as I didn't mean to do that. Because this hoax was quite a big deal and the story perpetuated for decades, I figured it would be good to expose you to the real back story so you would know. Kinda in the same vein as " and knowing is half the battle! GI JOE!"

You know?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #87 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw Dark Knight on its opening day, Friday early morning at 3am, and was somewhat pleased with the outcome. I have a few pet peeves like most others.
  1. Fight choreography with better camera angles needs to improve with the next film. I feel that this was a weak spot for both films.
  2. I concur that Maggie Gyllenhaal was the wrong choice for leading lady in this film. I'm not sure I can pin down what fans are looking for but I'm sure that she is not it.
  3. I'm probably one of the few who wanted an even darker Batman film. I remember reading the DARK KNIGHT graphic novels and would've enjoyed something on an even keel as far as tone goes. If anyone has seen the recent anime release of BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT, they would understand the look and feel these theatrical releases should emulate.

The Bond franchise went dark and it was an amazing success. The Darker the Better.

I have to say I concur with all the above points. Even though I agree that Maggie Gyllenhaal probably wasn't completely right for the part, I liked the fact that a leading lady wasn't played by another Barbie look-a-like. It gets so tiring. Its nice to see someone with a real face and real body. Like I said before too, the only thing I would add to the list is better lighting. It was terrible in certain scenes. The film almost had the quality of video in certain scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back