What would you...
Jan 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ergeistpolt

New Head-Fier
..buy if:

You listen to every kind of music and had 4-5000$ + to spend?
I would prefer a system that can give the listener a sense of "natural" sounding instruments and vocals.
It would be great if those of you who recommend a headphone system actually have listened to it.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 28
Obviously, I'd buy the one I have.
beerchug.gif
L3000.gif

foobar->ASIO4ALL->EA Off Ramp 3->EA-modded Benchmark DAC1->SR Tesla Apex->MAD HD250->bdh-modded DX1000 w/ APS v3

Never heard anything better so far.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 28
First, I'd recommend spending a little of that cash to buy a plane ticket to the next fairly good sized meet. You don't know what you like yet, however, you can get a pretty good idea at a meet.

Otherwise, I'd recommend my usual lineup. The Sennheiser HD-800 is the best open dynamic I've heard. It does everything well and you get a very natural presentation. I run it most of the time off an Eddie Current Zana Deux. The Zana is one of the best on the market at any price. It's so neutral it almost sounds like solid state, but has just enough tube charm to let you know you're not listening to chips. It's a remarkable amp. Finally, I'd follow it with a Marantz SA8003. They're wonderful and perform just abou the same as the more expensive models. They'll let you listen to SACDs, as well, which is a huge benefit if you love classical or jazz.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 28
Some relevant information is also missing from your post:
- What format do you listen to? Vinyl, CD, or digital files?
- What do you currently own and what do you like about it?

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ergeistpolt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would prefer a system that can give the listener a sense of "natural" sounding instruments and vocals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser HD-800 is the best open dynamic I've heard. It does everything well and you get a very natural presentation.

With respect to Uncle Erik and his opinion, the HD800 is the last phone I'd recommend for "natural sounding instruments and vocals". It can sound "etched" and "edgy" - imagine too much sharpening has been applied to a photographic image. With regard to natural tone and resonance of an instrument, the way sound decays is far from natural. You really do need to listen to a pair of HD800's before making a decision to buy them. Chances are you will either love them or loathe them, with no in between. I struggle with them. Mostly with the 10 mile wide, 2 mile high image. It just doesn't work when a recording has been made in a room the size of a broom cupboard with the performers huddled around a single mike. Listen with the HD800 and you would mistakenly believe that the track was recorded in a room the size of an aircraft hangar!
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 28
RWA Isabellina HPA -> Sennheiser HD800.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 28
I'd have to suggest the Stax O2, and then pick your amp - KGSS, RSA, or Woo. As for DACs, I'm going to be looking very closely at the upcoming W4S Sabre DAC.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 28
From my experience, as the amplification and/or headphones get upgraded, upgrading the source yields the biggest additional sonic gains. So, if you have a so-so source and you get a $3,000 head amp, you'll need a very good source to get the maximum benefit from the amp. The problem is that great sources are relatively much more expensive than great head amps, generally speaking.

So, if you find an extra $10,000, spend it on a good source. Of course, you can spend a lot more.

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parafeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With respect to Uncle Erik and his opinion, the HD800 is the last phone I'd recommend for "natural sounding instruments and vocals". It can sound "etched" and "edgy" - imagine too much sharpening has been applied to a photographic image. With regard to natural tone and resonance of an instrument, the way sound decays is far from natural. You really do need to listen to a pair of HD800's before making a decision to buy them. Chances are you will either love them or loathe them, with no in between. I struggle with them. Mostly with the 10 mile wide, 2 mile high image. It just doesn't work when a recording has been made in a room the size of a broom cupboard with the performers huddled around a single mike. Listen with the HD800 and you would mistakenly believe that the track was recorded in a room the size of an aircraft hangar!
wink.gif

This has got to be one of the best descriptions I have read of the hd800's
beerchug.gif
the sharpening image analogy is perfect!

-------

To the topic. I would get one of the two systems bellow, one all new and the other one with a vintage component. Unfortunately I haven't tried the Beyer T1, but from the descriptions I have read, it seems that they should be considered.

All New (of course you can buy used if you find them):

- STAX 404LE ($700-$800)
- WOO audio GES Maxed ($2100-$2645)
- A good pair of interconnects ($200-$500)
- Benchmark DAC1 USB ($1300)
- an atom based ultra small laptop computer ($200-$300)
- external 1tb hard drive ($100)

Vintage:

- AKG K1000 ($1000-$1300)
- A good 300B tube amplifier ($2000-2500)
- Benchmark DAC1 USB($1300)
- A good pair of interconnects ($200-$500)
- an atom based ultra small laptop computer ($200-$300)
- external 1tb hard drive with lossless music files ($100)

Both this systems will give you lots of pleasure for a long long time. good luck!

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 28
I easily found my Stax Omega II with the top Stax tube amp new for $3500 US, purchasing domestically. I know the Stax amp gets little love here, so it is just an informational suggestion. FWIW, I love mine.

I am quite prejudiced towards the Stax experience, but there should be little argument that they sound effortless and natural with a wide variety of music.

I second Erik re: attending a meet if possible.

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, I'd recommend spending a little of that cash to buy a plane ticket to the next fairly good sized meet. You don't know what you like yet, however, you can get a pretty good idea at a meet.

Otherwise, I'd recommend my usual lineup. The Sennheiser HD-800 is the best open dynamic I've heard. It does everything well and you get a very natural presentation. I run it most of the time off an Eddie Current Zana Deux. The Zana is one of the best on the market at any price. It's so neutral it almost sounds like solid state, but has just enough tube charm to let you know you're not listening to chips. It's a remarkable amp. Finally, I'd follow it with a Marantz SA8003. They're wonderful and perform just abou the same as the more expensive models. They'll let you listen to SACDs, as well, which is a huge benefit if you love classical or jazz.

I've heard the HD-800. Never with a tube amp though. Heard the Grado PS1000 too.. Find it more revealing /refined at lower volumes,more warmth, fun. Otherwise quite similar(!). Of course, the HD-800 has a bigger image.

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some relevant information is also missing from your post:
- What format do you listen to? Vinyl, CD, or digital files?
- What do you currently own and what do you like about it?

-Vinyl and cd. Digital files later.
-Nothing at the moment. Like: dynamics, "natural" sounding instruments and vocals, withouth unnatural edgy and sharp tops. A defined bass. Instruments and vocals with substance, body. Instruments and vocals that have a defined space. It will never be like speakers. I'm aware of that. Most of all: forgetting about the system completely.

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parafeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

I tend to agree.But, neither love or loathe them. Only heard them trough SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back