What would you...
Jan 23, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experience, as the amplification and/or headphones get upgraded, upgrading the source yields the biggest additional sonic gains. So, if you have a so-so source and you get a $3,000 head amp, you'll need a very good source to get the maximum benefit from the amp. The problem is that great sources are relatively much more expensive than great head amps, generally speaking.

So, if you find an extra $10,000, spend it on a good source. Of course, you can spend a lot more.

Understand, I've thought about it. 10k you say? No. Too much.

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkmc2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I easily found my Stax Omega II with the top Stax tube amp new for $3500 US, purchasing domestically. I know the Stax amp gets little love here, so it is just an informational suggestion. FWIW, I love mine.

I am quite prejudiced towards the Stax experience, but there should be little argument that they sound effortless and natural with a wide variety of music.

I second Erik re: attending a meet if possible.

The Stax experience? Never had it. People say Omega II will only sing when paired with top notch amplification. 6 grand for an amplifier? Worth it? Would it give me THE Stax experience* or just a thinner wallet?

* "A better sounding system"

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ergeistpolt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..buy if:

You listen to every kind of music and had 4-5000$ + to spend?
I would prefer a system that can give the listener a sense of "natural" sounding instruments and vocals.
It would be great if those of you who recommend a headphone system actually have listened to it.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Bear with me. The multi-quote button was not working.

EDIT: Just to clarify, by system I mean headphone, headamp and cables.
Important that the system can convey every kind of music.

Great to have your thoughts and experiences
smile.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #19 of 28
Lavry DA11 & Denon AH-D7000 or beyerdynamic T1. 2-3$k
I'd recommend the HD800, but they were already poo-pooed in the thread and these other phones are less divisive.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parafeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With respect to Uncle Erik and his opinion, the HD800 is the last phone I'd recommend for "natural sounding instruments and vocals". It can sound "etched" and "edgy" - imagine too much sharpening has been applied to a photographic image. With regard to natural tone and resonance of an instrument, the way sound decays is far from natural. You really do need to listen to a pair of HD800's before making a decision to buy them. Chances are you will either love them or loathe them, with no in between. I struggle with them. Mostly with the 10 mile wide, 2 mile high image. It just doesn't work when a recording has been made in a room the size of a broom cupboard with the performers huddled around a single mike. Listen with the HD800 and you would mistakenly believe that the track was recorded in a room the size of an aircraft hangar!
wink.gif

I am there with you. I have same problem with HD800. Also HD800 need more body.

Quote:

..buy if:

You listen to every kind of music and had 4-5000$ + to spend?
I would prefer a system that can give the listener a sense of "natural" sounding instruments and vocals.
It would be great if those of you who recommend a headphone system actually have listened to it.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Why not wait for more reports on Beyer T1?
wink.gif
Pair with WA22 or Eddie Current's balanced Act.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #21 of 28
I kinda like this thread, as it's pretty much my goal as well. I know what I want, but finding a great source within that price range is seriously difficult. I can't even think of any current production DAC I would want under $5000.
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

The Stax experience? Never had it. People say Omega II will only sing when paired with top notch amplification. 6 grand for an amplifier? Worth it? Would it give me THE Stax experience* or just a thinner wallet?

* "A better sounding system"

Try it. To me all of the dynamics - Denon, Audio-Technica, Grado, AKG, Sennheiser, JVC, Ultrasone, etc. either have too much coloration, or are too slow or dull, or too bright and clinical, or have some kind of significant flaw in their reproduction of music. Granted I haven't heard the R10 which has been described as the best dynamic phone ever built, but you can't buy that from a store. You can buy the Omega II, and its damn good. Better than any dynamic I've heard.

The O2 demands a very good amplifier, but you don't need to spend 5 grand on an A-10 or a Woo WES. The $2200 KGSS or the $1400 Woo GES should provide excellent results.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try it. To me all of the dynamics - Denon, Audio-Technica, Grado, AKG, Sennheiser, JVC, Ultrasone, etc. either have too much coloration, or are too slow or dull, or too bright and clinical, or have some kind of significant flaw in their reproduction of music.

I feel ya there.
The K340's I have just sold were as close as I've gotten in my journey so far. Mind you they are indeed colored and also are missing the lowest 1-2 octaves of bass.

Orthodynamic headphones deserve to be mentioned here as well. Like Stax, they are top contenders for replacing dynamic headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't even think of any current production DAC I would want under $5000.
frown.gif

x2

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #24 of 28
hmmm.... "O2 needs a very good amplifier"... What is "very good"?
I hope I'll know what is "good" one soon because my KGSS is in progress but for now:
I'm listening to my O2Mk2 through SRM-727II. Both VERY disliked here (shame on stax' engineers!). But I wonder how many people here have been listening extensively to SRM-727II... Yes, it sounded very bland, flat and even muddy with terribly compressed dynamic range at first (there are some threads started by me concerning my complaints) . But after some time the overall sound signature of my stax system has totally chaged. I don't know if it's cans burn-in or amp burn-in, or something else. I don't even know if burn-in question can be related to electrostats. What I'm sure is tha is NOT the so called mental burn-in
o2smile.gif
I'm pretty shure that there is a real change (maybe I must mention that my amp hadn't been switched off since October 8-th 2009
o2smile.gif
). Now the sound is very spatious, balanced and detailed. The soundstage is hologhaphic although not so big, the instruments are very life-like and natural. The highs and bass are good although the deepest bass (below 30Hz maybe) misses me. The dynamic range problem was almost completely solved by good balanced ICs - yes, they can improve the dynamics drastically! Now there is nothing in common with the initial presentatnion of this system.
The Omegas are the best allrounder I've ever heard. I enjoy every kind of music with them - acoustic, electronics (especially!), metal and any bad recordings.
I can recommend the O2s with some of the current stax amps for a starting system. Ergeistpolt, don't be afraid of the stax amps, they are not so expensive and they drive the omegas well! You won't be dissappointed
o2smile.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parafeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With respect to Uncle Erik and his opinion, the HD800 is the last phone I'd recommend for "natural sounding instruments and vocals". It can sound "etched" and "edgy" - imagine too much sharpening has been applied to a photographic image. With regard to natural tone and resonance of an instrument, the way sound decays is far from natural. You really do need to listen to a pair of HD800's before making a decision to buy them. Chances are you will either love them or loathe them, with no in between. I struggle with them. Mostly with the 10 mile wide, 2 mile high image. It just doesn't work when a recording has been made in a room the size of a broom cupboard with the performers huddled around a single mike. Listen with the HD800 and you would mistakenly believe that the track was recorded in a room the size of an aircraft hangar!
wink.gif

We don't want to get too far off the subject of the posters question, I agree with most of what you are saying, but the 10 mile by 2 mile sound stage, I don't understand. I think they convey the intimate venue, Diana Krall Live in Paris CD, gives me a sense of a more intimate Jazz club, same with The Patricia Barber CD Companion.

Meridian G08 used $2000.00 Nice balanced ???(go to a meet)???? amp HD 800. $1400.00

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would put my location in my info and hope for locals to invite me to a listening session.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don''t know how far RI. is from NY. NY.

But their spring meet is not far off, it is a must visit!!! Great group with lots of nice equiptment and lots of headphone knowledge.
beerchug.gif
Dinner after words is a must too. They are fun. One more post to the magical 1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back