What would you say are the best 3 IEM's out in the market now ?
Jan 27, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #16 of 31
for me it would be: westone es5, fitear mh335dw and senn ie800

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #17 of 31
Not yet into customs so for me:

Ie800
SE846
The Answer

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #18 of 31
Okay, as I wrote my thoughts, this post grew and got WAY outta hand, but I hope it gives you some useful information and a worthwhile perspective...

As others have said, it's hard to say what's the best, particularly when you haven't heard the top contenders.  I'm currently researching the options myself because I want a set of iems that can give me the best qualities of the iems I currently own all in one single pair.  I know, I know...good luck with that, right?

The iems that I see getting a lot of coverage as top contenders here are the:

Shure SE846
Jerry Harvey JH13, JH16, Roxanne, and Layla (though I wouldn't count out the Angie)
Westone W60 and ES60 (but people seem to be saying ES60 > W60)
Nobile K10 (I think I got the model number correct...?  Haven't read as much about it yet)

I have the Etymotic ER4S, the Audeo PFE232, and the Shure SE846.  The 846 costs quite a bit more than the ER4 and 232, but I actually would not call it absolutely superior to those two.  I can see why it gets the praise it does because the bass is just tremendous.  But I have a hard time thinking the 846 really deserves contender status for the absolute top of the heap.  In my view, a headphone that contends in that rarified air needs to not have any glaring weaknesses.  I can't say that about the 846.  To my ears, there are things the 846 just refuses to do.

The ER4 and 232 are reasonably wide-frequency-range cans.  The ER4, properly amped, delivers great clarity and information retrieval over a wide frequency range.  But it definitely lacks some bass punch.  The 232 has more bass authority but loses just a little bit in clarity to my airs, compared to the ER4.  The 846, at a party, does not mix and mingle with either of those two.  It stands across the room, stomping its foot and making the building shake.  It's great fun to hear it do its thing.  It's a beast.  But it seems to just cede territory to its competitors.  "Treble?," it asks, "who cares about that?"  It does what it does and it can't be made to play any games it doesn't like.

With the ER4 and the 232, a certain amount of eq'ing (a lot for the ER4) will make them change behavior pretty dramatically without the sound becoming something tortured.  But you wanna tune in some treble with the 846?  It's gonna tell you to go to [censored].  Actually, it won't even bother.  It will just ignore you.  Even with the white filters and eq'ing in treble, the 846 is bassy.  Unless you absolutely eq it to death so much that you make it unlistenable and terribly grainy, it will remain bassy.

I know other people feel differently about it, and that's fine, but when I'm attempting to judge relative superiority between headphones, I like to make them compete against each others' strengths.  Through swapping in and out amps and eq'ing, I can make the ER4 and 232 sound much more like the 846 than I can make the 846 sound like either the ER4 or the 232.  When it comes to treble, the 846 just refuses to play ball.  I'd say the 232 is the best iem for genre-hopping among these three.

Now that everyone thinks I'm an 846 hater, let me say this: The bass from the 846 is soooooo good that I spend at least as much time listening to it as I do the others.  And the midrange is great, too.  What the 846 does, it does truly superbly.  It's just that it makes no effort up top.  And it's STILL great.  That's how good it is in the midrange and bass.

But I am betting some of the even more expensive iems can get you a lot of the bassy goodness of the 846 AND deliver treble.  Like I say, though, I have not heard them.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #19 of 31
I might toss the Aurisonics 1 Plus into the ring. They make me forget I am wearing phones!

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #22 of 31
So two developments are changing the way I think of the SE846. 

First, I got the Centrance HiFi M8, and it gets along really well with the 846.  Pushing the impedence selector over to 1 ohm and the treble boost all the way up, the SE846 comes alive for me. 

Second, I dug out an old Kenwood receiver I hadn't used in a long long time and was surprised by how good the 846 sounded from it.  Granted, I had to crank the treble almost all the way up with the tone control, but it didn't make the cans sound crazy.  In fact, it sounds very similar to the M8 setup.  I couldn't believe it.   The bass loses a little tightness (very little, really) compared to the M8, but I can really give it some treble. 

I'd call it a draw between the two setups.  In both cases, the PFE232 gets left in the dust.  The ER4 fairs surprisingly well, though.  It's not a total blowout (particularly with the Kenwood receiver because I can add more bass), but it loses as well, decisively but not embarrassingly. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #24 of 31
If money was no issue,

Which 3 IEM's would you consider are the best in the market right now ?

and still people pick SE846

the power of marketing brainwashing is amazing, lol

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #26 of 31
  If money was no issue,

Which 3 IEM's would you consider are the best in the market right now ?

No music preference just looking for general individual recommendations.

Sorry to deviate a bit from the original question.
My UE Triple.fi 10 Pro are falling apart, so I would appreciate if you could also target your opinions for the 200-500 USD range.
I know they are not very detailed but just sound great out of an iPhone (with wave files). Is there something with the same type of sound signature but more detailed?

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #28 of 31
  Sorry to deviate a bit from the original question.
My UE Triple.fi 10 Pro are falling apart, so I would appreciate if you could also target your opinions for the 200-500 USD range.
I know they are not very detailed but just sound great out of an iPhone (with wave files). Is there something with the same type of sound signature but more detailed?

Check out the Oriveti Primacy.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #30 of 31
For universal probably kse1500,Layla,ibasso Oriolus,Rhapsodio Solar,Jh Angie.
For custom http://www.head-fi.org/t/769843/fit-for-a-bat-flagship-iems-shootout-8-ct6e-7-h8p-6-jh13-5-k10-4-bd4-2-3-a12-2-w500-1-se5u

Users who are viewing this thread

Back