What would I gain with Pico Slim vs JDS CMOY
May 15, 2011 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jtack

Head-Fier
Hello, I currently have a Cowon IAudio9/JDS CMOY/Miles Davis IEM's. What would I gain by switching over my amp to the Pico Slim or something similar, ie. Headstage Arrow? Thanks!

May 17, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 5
Keep the Cmoy man,the bass boost feature is really nice although you can achieve same performance from BBE EQ...
Don't waist your money for something that really won't benefit your listening quality..
I have both i9 and the Cmoy and i am fully satisfied..

May 17, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Keep the Cmoy man,the bass boost feature is really nice although you can achieve same performance from BBE EQ...
Don't waist your money for something that really won't benefit your listening quality..
I have both i9 and the Cmoy and i am fully satisfied..

Please advise difference between (SQ, tonality, sound stage etc) between the JDS Cmoy and the Slim or the Arrow.  I'd also be interested - especially in the reasons why you commented per above.  Please provide actual comparison .....

OP - this might interest - it was the only comparison I could find (from Mike at Headphonia) - http://www.headfonia.com/60-pack-of-awesome-jdslabs-cmoy/

From the article:
"One of the thing that people always wonder is how good these Cmoys are compared to the premium brand portable amps. I no longer have most of the amplifiers I reviewed on the Portable Amp Shootout, but comparing the JDSLabs Cmoy to the HeadAmp Pico Slim (with the JH16Pro) reveals that though the Pico Slim has better micro detail, the JDSLabs Cmoy is more spacious in the soundstage. Also comparing the JDSLabs Cmoy to the Ibasso PB2 (single ended) out to the HD800, I found that the tonal balance and the overall sound is not as smooth on the Ibasso compared to the JDSLabs Cmoy. Of course there are other differences such as tonal balance, presentation, or the accuracy of the digital volume control on the Pico Slim, or the power output of the Ibasso PB-2. But for the general headphones out there without any specific power demands, I think the JDSLabs Cmoy can hang out with the general crowd of the premium amps."

Not sure if above helps - but it is from someone who has actually heard both amps (among others).

Anyone else who has heard both - and able to enlighten?

May 18, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 5
I have not listened pico slim nor the Arrow but from all the reviews and impressions that i've read of people that do have them i've realised that it really won't be a big step over John' s Cmoy..
As we are talking about an amp and not amp/dac i really think that he better keep the Cmoy which i find it more than a capable amp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back