What with these $89 ESW9 on Ebay ?!
Nov 24, 2009 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

luiztfc

Head-Fier
Long story short, I'm brazilian so I have two options for shopping headphones, a fellow head-fier willing to ship overseas and Ebay. While searching for an ESW9 on Ebay, I found several chinese sellers offering "De Luxe" or "Luxury" ESW9 for $89 dollars. Hell, I'm almost positive that these are all fake but now I'm afraid that even the ones from american sellers can be fake as well. How is the real situation? Are all of them fakes? And how can I distinguish a real from a fake?

Just to illustrate my point:

Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 Le Luxe WOODEN Headphones - eBay (item 180431339705 end time Dec-11-09 06:39:52 PST) (The fact that ebay recognizes him as top-rated seller saddens me)

Audio-Technica - ATH-ESW9 - Luxury Headphones - NIB!!!! - eBay (item 110456011118 end time Dec-10-09 05:12:09 PST)

Audio Technica, ATH ESW9, Headphones, SEALED, FREE SHIP - eBay (item 130347051460 end time Dec-24-09 06:18:00 PST) (This is one has the guts to put a section in his AD in which he tries to justify his low price, it's worth reading)

Ps, if you want to pm with trusted ebay sellers, I'd also be glad.

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 24
If much less than msrp, then DEFINITELY FAKE!! Counterfeit ESW 9's have flooded the market.

Nov 24, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 24
"Excellent lambskin unpleasant pad in installation feeling and durability."
..first link
biggrin.gif

"3). Our products can transport the world; but time than the transportation (U.S., UK, Australia) to slowly for many days; please be patient; if more than 30 days was not received. Please contact us! [...]"
...second link
smily_headphones1.gif

"Audio Technica, ATH ESW9, Headphones, SEALED, FREE SHIP"
...now THAT'S one hell of a deal!
biggrin.gif
(third link)

Nov 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 24
I've reported all three. If you find more, just hit the report link, and select "trademark infringement" and the appropriate options. If we all keep reporting them enough, hopefully ebay will take more notice.

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy them all and you solve the fake problem.

errrrrrrr........

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 24
Yep, so they are indeed fake. I support Currawong's idea and I've flagged all of them as counterfeit. Let's hope that with mass flagging Ebay do something about.

I suppose I'll have to take the harder way: supporting head-fiers (
tongue.gif
). I'll keep an eye on the marketplace section.

One last doubt, is the HD650 also a target for chinese counterfeiting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by t0dy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Excellent lambskin unpleasant pad in installation feeling and durability."
..first link
biggrin.gif

"3). Our products can transport the world; but time than the transportation (U.S., UK, Australia) to slowly for many days; please be patient; if more than 30 days was not received. Please contact us! [...]"
...second link
smily_headphones1.gif

"Audio Technica, ATH ESW9, Headphones, SEALED, FREE SHIP"
...now THAT'S one hell of a deal!
biggrin.gif
(third link)

And if you ever find the prices too strange, there's a reasonable explanation for them (taken from the third link):

"DOUBTS ON WHY IT'S SO CHEAP?

1. ECONOMIES OF SCALE, when retailers, wholesalers purchase in large quantity they are able to get it at a cheaper price. Since ebay sellers have low overhead expenses, the prices of products on ebay are cheaper than what you would buy at wal-mart. Wal-mart has to pay for staff salaries, electricity. Whereas I just pay for my internet bills.

2. This is factory sealed, this means the headphones come in a sealed plastic package which has never been opened. Directly sealed by machine. There is no warranty, and no s/n code. However, you get it at a much much cheaper price!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back