What was your best album/cd find of the year?
Dec 14, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #16 of 71
I'd have to say my best discovery was Helen - We Specialize In Cages.

HELEN-sleeve_out-FINAL-front-crop-s.jpg

A trippy cocktail of drum n' bass/alternative/jazz, with a dash of funk topped off by dreamy female vocals. I first came across this band after reading that the drummer for Brimstone In Fire (post-tech death metal) does double duty for Helen. Totally didn't expect to like this so much, it's like my tranquil escape soundtrack.

Dec 14, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #19 of 71
5942.jpg

The The - Mind Bomb

I came across it today after listening (as usual) to Guy Garvies "Finest Hour" on BBC Radio6 last night when he played August & September from the album.

On first listen to the album I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to more of The The's albums.

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #21 of 71
Pick any one record by Porcupine Tree or Opeth...hmm...

Recordings probably. I spent a collectors price on an original and I'm glad I did.

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #23 of 71
I found a mint vinyl copy of Micheal Hedges Aerial Boundaries. I also picked up his Breakfast In The Field cd which is now my favorite.
michael_hedges-aerial_boundaries(better).jpg

hedges_breakfastf.jpg

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #26 of 71
Crazy_Love_cover.png

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #27 of 71
@Head case – What 2 cds would you start an Over the Rhine collection with?

@AVAlover5498 – tried some (keep wanting to say Sanford & sons) , nice find

@DeusEx – listened to a couple clips of Within Temptation. I think I really like symphonic rock.

@Redo – Doesn’t Super Session have a great version of Season of the Witch?

@suba3333 – Listened to Elsiane. Sounds slick. Wonder if I’d get tired of that singing style though? Whaddya think?

@phrOm – if I don’t particularly like PTM, might I like the acoustic version?

What a great shortcut to new tunes. I’m still looking for the others.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #28 of 71
Quote:

@Head case – What 2 cds would you start an Over the Rhine collection with?

I guess my bias is for alternative music; alternative in terms of the musical, lyrical, vocal overall Gestalt of the album. These 2 fit this, with some of the best art work ever released on cd (the best artwork from Over the Rhine was the mammorth album booklet of their first album, which they subsequently couldn't afford to reprint, and just sold the cd without the liner notes).

1. "Good Dog Bad Dog" (with the extra track - the re-released version (their 3rd album). The original version is more of a collector's album). This album was the defining moment in their artistic career, with Ric Hordinski's amazing guitar work taking an intricate turn.

2. "Patience" - their second album which was recorded to perfection, highlighting Karin Berquist's ethereal voice and the band's incredible uniqueness. Everything about the short album; from the opener 'Jacksie', through to Circle of Quiet, and How does it feel (to be on my mind) is just startlingly original. The Little Genius talks on a modern classical vein that would embarrass any modern day player of Liszt, and the elegiac 'Rhapsody' captures the quintessential post-modern vein of the band in their heyday, closing with the spoken word of 'Grey Monologue'.

There's never been an album like it, nor one since, from Over the Rhine. After their 4th album, when Ric Hordinski departed, the band's releases such as "Ohio" have been hailed as one of the best releases of the decades, well before Sufjan Stevens jumped on the bandwagon and started singing about American States. Over the Rhine sang about their home in Cinncinnati.

What really blew it for me was Karin Berquist taking on that modern jazz pretentiousness and her feigned articulation of just about every word to the point of sounding forced and unnatural. Admittedly, this kind of singing has gained her a far greater audience, like Norah Jones, Katie Melua, Madeleine Peyroux fans than in the early days of their "Patience" or "Good dog bad dog" albums when they were the essentially cult indie band, hidden like a jewel which led to a surprise (by joy) in discovering.

After those 2 albums - 'The Darkest Night of the Year' is beautiful, but unfortunately, semi-instrumental. "Eve" and "Ohio" (a double album of 20 tracks, from which 10 perfect tracks can be culled) would follow next in my books.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #29 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. "Good Dog Bad Dog"
2. "Patience" - their second album which was recorded to perfection, .

I'm glad you said that. Most of my favorites come from GDBD.... but my alltime favorite song of theirs (When I go?) comes from Films for Radio. Oh well, off to Amazon.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #30 of 71
Quote:

@phrOm – if I don’t particularly like PTM, might I like the acoustic version?

Satanic Satanist is little bit different sound from portugal the man (they wanted to make a kind of sing along album in this release), but the acoustic might suit you better if you dont like the keyboard sounds or bass. you could also look at their first 2 albums, which have more of an darker indie rock sound, but if you dont like John Gourley's high pitched vocals I would say PTM may not be for you
Waiter you-vultures
church mouth/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back